Favorite 27th Lancers Program

Which 2-7 show is your personal favorite?

Eventhough I marched '75 and '80 and they were great years for us, I have to go with 1971.

I worshiped the Lancers and SCV back then

No trouble. Love all around. Where and when did you march?

Never marched 27. One of my many regrets in life. I saw them in New London as a teenager back in 75' or 76' (can't remember which) and when they opened up with Crown Imperial it just knocked my jock off. Bonfiglio did it right.

I love the Sondheim Suite stuff... They didn't make finals with it in 1986, but the show music was very good, enjoyable stuff. I wish I could see a video of that show.

Thanks! :) I'm working on it!

Oh did you know famed Blue Devils man Frank Dorritie arranged that?

http://www.sunrisers.com/fra/hof_bio/frank...ritie_mma.shtml

The Sondheim - a real left turn -- was so much fun. When I run into kids who marched that corps they talk not about the fact the corps barely missed making finals (three tenths!), but rather what a great experience it was to live that show.

It was a program with an artist's perspective -

Tom Lizotte continued on next page

from Marc's hand-painted silks to the viewpoint ("art isn't easy") of the music. It also had irony. Don Angelica was doing some unofficial consulting and strongly urged us to include "Bein' Alive." Most of us didn't know it, but Don was dying at the time.

The music was right up Frank's alley. My favorite was his take on the Peter Matz/Barbra Streisand "Puttin' It Together" (which had some great Charlie Poole/Mark Kohler percussion writing.) It had a beautiful bridge that Charlie used to call "the Love Boat section."

The show opened with "Sunday," which was a rare drum corps opportunity for rubato (as opposed to "robotto") playing. Few of the judges caught on, but we had a great time being spontaneous and trying to be musical. These days drum corps would rehearse Grainger's "Irish Tune" with a Dr. Beat.

We also loved Frank's chart on "Not While I'm Around." Sondheim writes some difficult melodic

intervals, so Frank created some approach-by-step melodic permutations. I'll never forget Charlie prancing up stadium stairs chanting "climbing up the ladder!" in place of Sondheim's nobody will harm you, not while I'm around."

It would have been great to work with Frank again, but right after finals the Lancers folded. I'll never forget his taking two days to write a personal note to every Lancer horn player. That caring and sensitivity affected me forever.

Frank went on to do some great things with Bluecoats (his "Autumn Leaves" was a classic) before focusing on recording. When he entered this phase of his life the activity lost one of its true characters and good people.

I haven't seen him since '86 (we have emailed and talked on the phone), but he is with me every day. Frank, in the event that some day I become the teacher I wish to become, you will be more responsible than you'll ever know.

Here's a cool article that had a section of Tom Lizotte writing about Frank that year with us. And a cool sidenote, I still have the note Frank wrote me. :) I worship Frank. :blink: I also have one of the hand painted flags...

Edited by Lancerlady

The '80 show was the best and specifically I think the corps reached it's pinnacle in Allentown.

They just rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The horn line was a tad more refined in '81.

Exactly! Crown Imperial and Niner Two were awesome.

From what I understand, they did that show in '86 for them. Like, they knew it was their last year and they wanted to do something special.

From what I understand, they did that show in '86 for them. Like, they knew it was their last year and they wanted to do something special.

No, we didn't know it was our last year. We did that show cause we were "going with the changes", that was happening. Maybe they weren't ready for the change we brought to the table? We did that to try and get back into finals.

Edited by Lancerlady

No, we didn't know it was our last year. We did that show cause we were "going with the changes", that was happening. Maybe they weren't ready for the change we brought to the table? We did that to try and get back into finals.

I guess everyone wanted another year of Danny Boy. :(

You guys seriously need to come back.