Favorite 27th Lancers Program

Oh did you know famed Blue Devils man Frank Dorritie arranged that?

He was also "famed Garfield Cadets man Frank Dorritie". :P

The first full show he arranged was our 1971 Revolutionary War show. It was an amazing show created by one of the most creative staffs of that era...Frank, George Tuthill on drums, with Bobby Hoffman and Pete Emmons creating the visual designs. The designed the show and the libretto to be historically accurate....Frank was a History Major in college, he told me when we had dinner a few years back when I was on a business trip to San Fran

My favorite 2-7 shows were 81 and 71. 81 for my favorite all-time opener Crown Imperial as well as Danny boy, and 71 for Danny Boy, Waltzing Matilda and one of the few concert numbers I ever really liked, the Chicago medley of Does Anybody Really Know What Time it is/Beginnings (with a marvelous bari solo on the trombone part).

I always liked 83 the best. Very underrated show IMHO. I remember watching them practice in NJ and loving every minute of it. The double dutch rocked!

I miss you 27th!

1980 - awesome show!!! The most dynamic performance I have ever seen on video. :blink:

From what I understand, they did that show in '86 for them. Like, they knew it was their last year and they wanted to do something special.

Actually, it's almost exactly opposite of that. During the winter of '86, the rumor was that the corps was going to get some large corprpate sporsorship, and the change in direction was a step to pull the corps back up into the upper echelon.

Sadly, that didn't happen. '86 turned into a mighty struggle that left us broken hearted.

But we NEVER stopped fighting for it.

Actually, it's almost exactly opposite of that. During the winter of '86, the rumor was that the corps was going to get some large corprpate sporsorship, and the change in direction was a step to pull the corps back up into the upper echelon.

Sadly, that didn't happen. '86 turned into a mighty struggle that left us broken hearted.

But we NEVER stopped fighting for it.

Hey Stu what's up? I hope you're coming to the reunion! :)

I go with 1981. Niner-Two is an underrated, landmark piece in drum corps history, picking up on the ideas of Channel One Suite (which DID stop) and presaging what Spirit did with Blues in the Night a few years later in terms of epic charts around which an entire show was based. Not to mention the fact tthat the percussion writing is soe of the best, most over-the-top, hysterical writing ever, esp. in the shout chorus. And it's startlingly faithful to the original. Plus the execution level of the whole corps was phenomenal that year.

Yep, 1980 - one of the all time greats. With honorable mention for '81(?) Niner-Two.

I second this vote. Although, my honorable mention goes to 1978 with Mark Sylvester's fresh moves after his solo. :blink::rock::sigh: