Would if DIV 1 had no age limit only a age minimum like a pro sport?

Umm... those of you thinking this idea might be possible, have you seen a drum corps rehearse for an extended period of time? like multiple days? Do you see people get hurt in spring training? Do you see people limping around the field? Do you know the pain that some people are in to stay on the field night in and night out? People ice down body parts every day.

Some of these people are 21 and have constant back pain and blown out knees. I think you are sorely mistaken that people have the physical ability to march from 18-21 and then many more years after that. Maybe a few years, but not many.

And any Corps member in a Junior Corps that is traveling from June to August and continually away from home and work doing full time drum corps during this 9 week period and is 24-30 years of age, is a person that has no life other than drum corps and that signals a" deadbeat "

also agreed.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm... those of you thinking this idea might be possible, have you seen a drum corps rehearse for an extended period of time? like multiple days? Do you see people get hurt in spring training? Do you see people limping around the field? Do you know the pain that some people are in to stay on the field night in and night out? People ice down body parts every day.

Some of these people are 21 and have constant back pain and blown out knees. I think you are sorely mistaken that people have the physical ability to march from 18-21 and then many more years after that. Maybe a few years, but not many.

um, yes I do believe this idea is possible and I am not mistaken about people's physical abilities...

people are much more resilient than you give them credit for...

yes injuries do happen, and yes sometimes marchers are plagued by chronic issues...

however I marched two years and seem to be just fine...

the vast majority of people that march in corps make it out alive, and believe it or not, in the best physical condition of their lives.

Football is a much more dangerous and injury prone sport than drum corps, yet we see people extending careers for years...most of the injuries you see in the NFL are due to the nature of a contact sport anyway -something you dot have to worry about in drum corps (hopefully)

Edited by KingJoeVII

Everyone would be too good.

so could the same thing be said for all of those Broadway actors/actresses? Should they stop with their silly singing and dancing and get a real job?

or what about those animators at Disney...isnt about time they stopped drawing cartoon characters and grew up?

Scale for both Broadway Actors and Disney Animators is a lot more than what you get marching in a drum corps ... Nada (In fact, the lowliest Disney Animator is good for about $1,500/week.) Hardly a valid comparison.

Also, don't even start thinking pro sport ... We're playing pro sports ticket prices and the whole activity is still a money pit.

Most of what I thought about this post has already been said, but still....

1. I bump because I like the idea - wish it were still ok to march SCV (I'm 27) plus I always wanted to march BD. Madison too, for that matter ....

2. But it would be near impossible because I would have to quit my job, real life creeps in and thats why I only did 2 years of juniors - looking back I shouldve done more but it is what it is.

3. The idea is NOT DCA!! I think the poster means that adults would take the summer off to practice all day every day for 2 months. DCA is great, but we can only practice on weekends because of dreaded REAL LIFE. Unfortunately - the end quality of the drill and the sound suffers.

4. It would only be feasible if DCI really WAS mm's Major League - If I could quit my job and do drum corps full time I'd be ALL OVER THAT.

DCI All-Age? - Hoppy please run w/ this - it would be your first good idea in, in ..... ? anybody?

so could the same thing be said for all of those Broadway actors/actresses? Should they stop with their silly singing and dancing and get a real job?

or what about those animators at Disney...isnt about time they stopped drawing cartoon characters and grew up?

That makes total sense, you know, because kids are getting paid to march. :ph34r:

The difference between those professions and corps is mainly the number of people who go to see the broadway shows and pay to see the Disney cartoons. I can't tell you the exact figures, but I can bet that it is thousands of times as many as those who go to drum corps shows. As much as we all like drum corps, its public acceptance will never be at a level comparable to these professions, and I seriously doubt it will ever generate the revenue to put its performers on a par with them.

Edited by piperguy

DCA

The minimum age limit is ridiculous too. There have been some fabulous 14 and 15 year old performers in Div. I corps for years. Not allowing them to march in these "supercorps" is like saying, "Sorry Mr. Marino, your son, Dan, is just too young for our activity. Yes, I know he will be the greatest quarterback to ever play the game, but he's not old enough to be great yet". I think people like Michael Terry of The Cadets (just aged out after 8 years) and my son, Kris, who both marched Div. I as 14-year-olds were both talented enough and mature enough, so why should they be ineligible?

That's exactly what the NFL does tell potential players with the fact that they CANNOT play in the NFL until they reach a certain age. I do not know that exact rule, and do not feel like looking it up, but I believe that players are not allowed to try out for NFL teams until they are so many years out of high school. So yeah, if Mr. Marino wanted his son Dan to play in the NFL when he was 18, then sorry, he's out of luck.