Most Intense Finals Performance

Besides some of the obvious one, these two are way up there for me

2000 BD

1986 Madison Scouts

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In those days, execution was only judged for the first 11 1/2 minutes, but GE was judged until the end of the show. There was a gun at the 11:30 mark, the execution judges would raise their clipboards to signal that they were done and leave the field. Then the corps would do a "re-entry" and let it all out. Nice way to end the show.

In any case, nobody was going to beat BD that year.

p.s. even though SCV raised the roof (er, half roof :)), the most intense performance that night was Garfield. Their soloist (Al Chez) hit a triple F in the opening fanfare and the rest of the show was on fire. I think they moved up from 5th to 3rd, passing Madison and Phantom. Awesome.

The same Al Chez playing lead in Paul Schaeffer's orchestra?

Most intense Finals Performances I've witnessed: BD 1979, Cadets 1992, Phantom 1993, Cadets 1998, SCV 1999, Cadets 2005, Phantom 2006, Cadets 2007 in Semifinals.

The greatest performance I ever saw was Phantom 82 at the run-off in DeKalb. But the greatest Finals performance I ever saw was Madison 1988. There was little doubt after they were done, despite the fact I had predicted BD in a walk at the beginning of the day.

SCV 1997, 1998, 2001, and 2005. Also Phantom 2003.

Honorable mention to SCV 1993 because of where they began in the season and finished...and for all their dedication despite the hardships.

WAIT A MINUTE!!! That was THE Al Chez that hit that note in Garfield 82?!?!?!? Does Al even REALIZE how many freakin' times I listened to that opening on my RECORD PLAYER (talking about flash cubes...THIS will REALLY dumbfound the kids!!!). HOLY COW!!! I didn't realize that was Al!! VERY VERY COOL!!! If anyone of the "new era" of drum corps wants to hear some FREAKIN' AWESOME MUSIC, a sort of precursor if you will to the more modern era of drum corps music, check out Garfield 82!!! MAN!!!! What a show!!! Musically that is...I don't know a thing about visual from back then.

In terms of bedlam and intensity...I would have to say last years Phantom show was pretty much on the mark. I can guarandamntee you the Madison pressbox was going beserk, that's for sure.