New Bluecoats visual staff....

Actually their visual program was outstanding last year ... The guard was outright mesmerizing at points. They got a frikkin' 94 ... How bad could anything in their show be?

I agree, for the most part. Their guard has been "mesmerizing" and very well integrated for years, but just not getting the credit. Maybe they don't "spin and toss" as well or as much as everyone else, but they certainly "act the part" for the roles the corps is asking them to portray.

Unfortunately, the corps did "lose" (being polite) the color guard caption head just as tour started. (I'm not sure a lot of people knew that. Losing your caption head just before the first show may have gone a long way to the low CG and Visual scores (based mostly on the CG this season, IMO) not being as high as the Music scores).

Hopefully they can go out and hire a "big-name" CG person. Maybe asking their drill writer to "step it up" some and a new "big-name" CG person would be enough. I don't think they necessarily need to get rid of the entire marching staff.

All that said, this topic makes it seem like they've already decided to fire their entire staff -- which I doubt that is the case.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They marched extremely well. Better than they ever have. I think a new drill designer and guard staff would do the trick. Weber would be a great move for them, but I doubt he's going anywhere. Slyvester? hmmm.... That could be interesting.

They marched extremely well. Better than they ever have. I think a new drill designer and guard staff would do the trick. Weber would be a great move for them, but I doubt he's going anywhere. Slyvester? hmmm.... That could be interesting.

The performance area is at par with the music. Mitch has brought them a good ways. He is a good band writer but is at his limit as to where he can advance them

Frankly, I would love to see Jason Bentley in the Visual Caption Head role. He has a wealth of knowledge, knows how to clean the crap outa something, and it could be a bit of a departure from the style of marching the Bluecoats currently have now.

Of course Marc Sylvester is now availabe, for the time being.

I'm not so sure. I'm guessing the only reason he won't be with Crossmen next year is because they won't be affiliated with YEA. Here's betting he is more involved again with Cadets...

I'm not so sure. I'm guessing the only reason he won't be with Crossmen next year is because they won't be affiliated with YEA. Here's betting he is more involved again with Cadets...

Err...im pretty sure he 'retired' for a reason. That isnt to say he wont help out, but i cant see him being a full fledged member of the design / marching team again...

Frankly, I would love to see Jason Bentley in the Visual Caption Head role. He has a wealth of knowledge, knows how to clean the crap outa something, and it could be a bit of a departure from the style of marching the Bluecoats currently have now.

Why should they change their style? I'll still argue that their problem isn't performance. It's design and color guard.

I'll still argue that their problem isn't performance. It's design and color guard.

Well, I think more than a few judges will disagree. At DCI Finals:

* GE Visual performance sub caption Bluecoats placed 7th (though 8th in rep)

* Visual Performance Bluecoats came in 6th, thanks to a 7th place finish in excl.

* Visual Ensemble was 7th, with 7th place in both comp. and excl.

* Colorguard was 7th, though they placed 6th in both subcaptions.

I won't disagree that design and guard is a problem for the 'Coats, but they are obviously lacking in visual performance, as well. I agree that for the most part their visual repertoire is a bit lacking compared to most above them, but the judges clearly thought that everyone above them marched better.

Well, I think more than a few judges will disagree. At DCI Finals:

* GE Visual performance sub caption Bluecoats placed 7th (though 8th in rep)

* Visual Performance Bluecoats came in 6th, thanks to a 7th place finish in excl.

* Visual Ensemble was 7th, with 7th place in both comp. and excl.

* Colorguard was 7th, though they placed 6th in both subcaptions.

I won't disagree that design and guard is a problem for the 'Coats, but they are obviously lacking in visual performance, as well. I agree that for the most part their visual repertoire is a bit lacking compared to most above them, but the judges clearly thought that everyone above them marched better.

Where in those scores does it say that anybody "Marched" better? You should read the visual performance sheets, there is a lot more there than just marching.

Are you sure you aren't working with this Jason Bentley character to get hired as the new vis cap, it's easier to probably just send in a resume.

i think the biggest problem is that they keep getting new visual caption heads and making big changes to their staff. since 03 they've had, what, 4 caption heads? that's too many.

they need to stick to their guns and just keep firing away. practice makes perfect (or a 99.15).