New Crown Brass Staff

Does anyone know if what key a hornline plays in is a factor in how judges judge the brass caption? Just wondering, because if this is true and they judge based on how hard it is to play in a certain key, how can judging be consistent? What happens if some judges have perfect pitch (or at least some form of it) and others don't? Certain judges might be able to tell what key a tune is in, and they might hand out a score based on how hard it is to play in a certain key, and another judge might not be able to do that.

Just wondering...because if it isn't a factor, then how can one say that Crown's scores are slighted because they play it safe?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would tend to think that judges do not get wrapped up in key signatures and such all that much...however, as the season goes on, certain things start to be made clear. Judges talk, and judges listen, and this is one of many reasons that certain groups tend to peak early (as much as we hate the word)

I think this is a part of a larger paradox in dci - the fact that corps try to make hard things look easy and natural, but also to make things that are easy (or at least not that hard), seem impressive and difficult at the same time

As I have said, key signature nowithstanding, CC hardly plays it safe..their is ALOT of exposure in their brass book...

Sorry, I didn't mean in overall brass book, i meant in terms of key signature.

Sorry, I didn't mean in overall brass book, i meant in terms of key signature.

I dont think so..CC got the highest brass score in its history, a 19.2. .8 from perfect. (thoretically, at least)

If you look at the brass numbers, corps were stacked like cord wood..

I doubt that the chioce of key was a major factor.

As I over heard Mark Arnold say "everyone is so doggone good now"---True dat.. :laugh:

I dont think so..CC got the highest brass score in its history, a 19.2. .8 from perfect. (thoretically, at least)

As I over heard Mark Arnold say "everyone is so doggone good now"---True dat.. :laugh:

Yeah...i think we all need to remember - crown had their best hornline ever this year, and their best placement ever this year - all with the ridiculously comptetive nature of the top 7. Any other year, this discussion wouldnt exist.....

Yeah...i think we all need to remember - crown had their best hornline ever this year, and their best placement ever this year - all with the ridiculously comptetive nature of the top 7. Any other year, this discussion wouldnt exist.....

yup..if this was 2006, the 19.2 would have netted 4th place in brass..

I guess that makes sense. Either way, I think firing their brass staff doesn't make any sense at all. Their brass sounds good to me, whether or not they play in Bb major (was no fan of their show this year, but I loved their show last year).

Should they be replaced? They were 7th in brass. That and music ensemble were their lowest captions.

And replace them with who? You? HA! Seriously, just becuase thet placed seventh doesn't mean that they were a.) bad, or b.) really deserving of such a low placement. It seems that everyone except for the judges realizes how bad-### their brassline was this year. That brass staff has been consistently building a brass giant since 2004. Leave them alone.

Edited by goldingna

And replace them with who? You? HA! Seriously, just becuase thet placed seventh doesn't mean that they were a.) bad, or b.) really deserving of such a low placement. It seems that everyone except for the judges realizes how bad-### their brassline was this year. That brass staff has been consistently building a brass giant since 2004. Leave them alone.

19.2 is not a bad number to get at DCI on finals night. No CC hornile at had ever gotten that high a number before.

To me it was bad numbers management by the Field Brass Guy, Al Lo (who, btw, is not known as a CC-friendly judge)

He did pop a 19.2. No problem there..it was some of the higher scores he gave to other corps that I disagree with.

Oh well..water under the bridge.. :laugh:

Edited by tubamann