New Crown Brass Staff

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the issue is that the OP is losing the forest for the trees. Sure, their placement wasn't what you may have liked...but this year the top 7 were simply incredible, and couldn't have scored much closer. Crown should definitely keep their brass staff - IMO consistency in staffing is worth its weight in gold. Most would agree that Crown is definitely on the track to greatness. Unfortunately for them, there happened to be 6 corps that the judges felt were doing better (but look at who those 6 are!). This year saw some incredible performance levels across the board, and you need to be able to look past that to realize that there is a lot more to it than a number or placement. :)

I would offer that CC's brass book is not as technically difficult as some..(ie hard technical passages..though I think CC had their fair share..listen to the trumpet feature in the opener)

However..

The Exposure in their brass book is VERY high, and the musical demand, exp in the ballad is very high.

To me lots of notes doesn't necessarily mean hard..

I agree, the lots of notes don't necessarily mean hard. It's more so been my understanding that the design of the brass book in terms of volume and intonation has been designed to work in valve combinations that are somewhat easier to match pitch/project with. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the final product is loud, crowd pleasing and in tune...but from a technical stand point may be just a bit easier than a book that was designed in a somewhat more intricate key...or not, I'm really not 100% positive that everything I know about this is accurate

I agree, the lots of notes don't necessarily mean hard. It's more so been my understanding that the design of the brass book in terms of volume and intonation has been designed to work in valve combinations that are somewhat easier to match pitch/project with. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the final product is loud, crowd pleasing and in tune...but from a technical stand point may be just a bit easier than a book that was designed in a somewhat more intricate key...or not, I'm really not 100% positive that everything I know about this is accurate

Good ol' Bb major. They arent the only corps to live in that key....

edit -

to elaborate - yes, it is sigificantly easier. The chords that are common in Bb major generally utilize 0 and 1st valve combinations, which are generally more in tune that those using 12 and/or 3rd valve combinations.Every smart arranger knows this, and every uses the knowledge to some extent - some more than others.

Edited by euponitone

Good ol' Bb major. They arent the only corps to live in that key....

edit -

to elaborate - yes, it is sigificantly easier. The chords that are common in Bb major generally utilize 0 and 1st valve combinations, which are generally more in tune that those using 12 and/or 3rd valve combinations.Every smart arranger knows this, and every uses the knowledge to some extent - some more than others.

Exactly, I don't understand why some arrangers insist on writing in keys like C or Db major, that's just asking for trouble, or worse yet, a hornline that isn't loud enough.

Exactly, I don't understand why some arrangers insist on writing in keys like C or Db major, that's just asking for trouble, or worse yet, a hornline that isn't loud enough.

Im kinda odd, in that I can tell what key an arrangement is by listenning to it. Its not really perfect pitch, but things just sound a certain way to me. Bb, and to an extent F major, not only affect chords, but also runs, which can pretty much be played with one finger in these keys. Should it matter whether a corps plays in a 'hard' key?...Im not sure, but i could see why judges would consider it.

Im kinda odd, in that I can tell what key an arrangement is by listenning to it. Its not really perfect pitch, but things just sound a certain way to me. Bb, and to an extent F major, not only affect chords, but also runs, which can pretty much be played with one finger in these keys. Should it matter whether a corps plays in a 'hard' key?...Im not sure, but i could see why judges would consider it.

I don't care about how "hard" the key is, I'm talking about the resonance and overall intonation of chords and whatnot in the certain keys. Carolina Crown and Phantom both have some of the loudest hornlines in the top 12, a majority of their books are also written in Bb. Hmm............ That's called smart arranging my friends.

I don't care about how "hard" the key is, I'm talking about the resonance and overall intonation of chords and whatnot in the certain keys. Carolina Crown and Phantom both have some of the loudest hornlines in the top 12, a majority of their books are also written in Bb. Hmm............ That's called smart arranging my friends.

I know exactly what you mean (was going to throw phantom into the Bb crowd but didnt), but i wouldnt necessarily call it smart arranging. Phantom manages to be just as loud when they play atonal or nasty sounding music (beginning of last year :laugh: ) There's more to brass playing then Bb major, just as there's more than always playing loud or always fast. I expect hornlines to show me a variety of techniques, be it with fingers, dynamics, or timbres (which is often based on key).

I know exactly what you mean (was going to throw phantom into the Bb crowd but didnt), but i wouldnt necessarily call it smart arranging. Phantom manages to be just as loud when they play atonal or nasty sounding music (beginning of last year :laugh: ) There's more to brass playing then Bb major, just as there's more than always playing loud or always fast. I expect hornlines to show me a variety of techniques, be it with fingers, dynamics, or timbres (which is often based on key).

This is true as well

Hey ouooga (director of Desert Fire D&BC):

Most corps directors I've come into contact with over the years don't blatantly tell others which corps they like or don't like. It is a position of honor and one that requires tact.

Play nice.

Edited by 27/soa