DCI Sattelite radio I am totally Sirius about this!

1) You don't get cable/satellite tv, then? If not, fine, but lots of folks do and find it worth the money

2) It's not the same thing, it's a similar thing to regular radio, but different shows. There are a lot of shows of satellite radio that aren't on regular radio -- because of the content, because they're just no in your market, because the audience is not enough to sustain a radio station budget, etc

3) Regular radio isn't "free". It's just "free" to you. Someone is paying for it -- namely the sponsors whose commercials you have to put up with and whose products you (or enough of the you's out there) have to buy to pay them back. Nothing is free -- it's just paid for in a less direct path than cash from your pocket.

4) If done right, wouldn't really cost DCI anything. Again, where is this terrific marketing firm DCI partnered up with? They could handle this lickity-split. Why do all the good ideas come from DCP and not from the professionals paid to come up with this stuff?

the fourth point is good, the rest seems like bait

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yeah. Which is no different than having to buy a satellite receiver (unless it's part of the vehical).

Or having to buy a regular AM/FM radio. Just because it's included in the overall price of the car doesn't mean you're not paying for it.

the fourth point is good, the rest seems like bait

Not trying to fling bait -- sorry if it came off that way. Just trying to point out that when you talk about having to pay "extra" for the "same" thing, the reality is not always as it seems. No worries :)

4) If done right, wouldn't really cost DCI anything. Again, where is this terrific marketing firm DCI partnered up with? They could handle this lickity-split. Why do all the good ideas come from DCP and not from the professionals paid to come up with this stuff?

http://www.coltrin.com/coltrin/index.html

...time for an email barrage. :)

Same shows, but there could be other programs that are going on at the same time.

It's not the same shows. There is a much wider variety of shows on satellite than on regular am/fm local radio. All Jazz for example -- there is no Jazz station where I am, but there are a number of them on satellite. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant by this ....

Commercials don't bother me. I would rather hear a commerical for a local business and support that than give all my money to one company.

That's great that you feel that way. It's your choice. All I was trying to say is that listening to those commercials (and maybe supporting the sponsors!!) is the "price" you are paying for am/fm radio. It's not "free"

And that's the kicker, if done right...and you know it won't be done right.

Which is why I thought they hired professionals to handle all this stuff for them ...... :doh: :)

Not trying to fling bait -- sorry if it came off that way. Just trying to point out that when you talk about having to pay "extra" for the "same" thing, the reality is not always as it seems. No worries :)

But you know, I'll take these "hidden" costs becaue I know that commercial radio is supporting local businesses (and visa versa). If I have to listen to commercials every minutes, so be it. With satellite only one, either XM or Sirius, is getting all the money.

I hate the idea of satellite radio.

Why hate satelite radio?

Oustanding clarity

Great channel selections

Guaranteed reception wherever I go

Awesome stuff! :doh:

Why do all the good ideas come from DCP and not from the professionals paid to come up with this stuff?

I'm willing to bet the idea has been kicked around, albeit in relative secrecy. The benefit of keeping it under wraps would be that they could make it commercially viable BEFORE getting all sorts of pressure from the corps community.

That said, how do we make it commercially viable? Is the point of this station to spread the gospel of drum corps, or to give those of us without Ipods another means to listen to corps on the go? How big is the demand? Can we manufacture demand?

Liam, you seem to have a handle on economics in general... do you know anybody in the radio business? Now I'm interested ^0^

Why hate satelite radio?

Oustanding clarity

Great channel selections

Guaranteed reception wherever I go

Awesome stuff! :doh:

I see the benefits of it for some after reading the thread...I guess I don't do enough auto travel to really take advantage of it, though.

My iPod loaded down with 30GB of corps and stuff is usually enough to carry the day for me on a road trip. :)

But you know, I'll take these "hidden" costs becaue I know that commercial radio is supporting local businesses (and visa versa). If I have to listen to commercials every minutes, so be it. With satellite only one, either XM or Sirius, is getting all the money.

Hey, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise... :)

Do with your money as you choose ....

All I'm trying to say is that regular radio has costs, too. And that satellite is merely a different approach to paying for programming. You can measure the relative "value" of the two on your own terms, but I doubt that DCI radio (for example) could compete in the local am/fm market, but could easily be offered as part of a bigger satellite package that, yes, you'd have to pay cash for. That's all .... :)