DCI Sattelite radio I am totally Sirius about this!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great idea... a little underdeveloped, but a great idea nonetheless. Maybe now that the landscape of the radio is changing, we've got enough collective noodle to bake in order to make it work.

While we're on the subject of partnerships... I think a more viable partner would be someone like, say, the US Department of Education.

In exchange for being their poster children for the importance of music education, playing some gigs and federal dog & pony shows, they could provide publicity and maybe a little bit of $$$ for the activity.

Again, an underdeveloped idea. There are tradeoffs in ANY arrangement. A lot of people wanting to see results, a lot of people wanting to see their advertising dollar represented.

(My apologies if I blew the cover off of Coltrin's plan...)

we just got a new car and it has XM radio so it would be awesome for a DC channel.

</TOPIC>

As far as HD vs. Satellite...

Sorry, I just can't see myself giving up my Sirius with over 130 channels (69 ad free) plus the sports channels (including every NFL game) and comedy channels for 49 Bay Area (San Jose/SF). Channels who aren't even playing what I want to hear! Ad free, no less. I took a look and out of those 49 stations, I'd listen to maybe 9 of those. That doesn't even fill up half of my presets on my player! Beside the fact, and it's already been mentioned, I'll have the same channels available from east to west.

<TOPIC>

Someone mentioned drum corps on the web. I know there are a few stations on Live 365:

Marching/Military Music (Just listened to '78 North Star. Man, what a sop soloist! Currently playing '05 Boston):

Need some drum corps music in your life? How about the best from the High School marching scene or from military bands? Well this is the station! Drum Corps at their best and marching bands at their best. You will find cadences, and even some music from the famous Edinburgh Military Tattoo among other top Military bands.

IM.com Radio (currently playing '96 Cadets):

Drum Corps and Marching Band Radio! / 24 Hours a Day! / 7 Days a Week!

Diceman Radio - High Band and

Low Band (Just played '72 Muchachos. Currently playing '97 Blue Stars):

Old time Drum Corps, 24/7!

Edited by skajerk

Someone mentioned drum corps on the web. I know there are a few stations on Live 365:

Marching/Military Music (Just listened to '78 North Star. Man, what a sop soloist! Currently playing '05 Boston):

Need some drum corps music in your life? How about the best from the High School marching scene or from military bands? Well this is the station! Drum Corps at their best and marching bands at their best. You will find cadences, and even some music from the famous Edinburgh Military Tattoo among other top Military bands.

IM.com Radio (currently playing '96 Cadets):

Drum Corps and Marching Band Radio! / 24 Hours a Day! / 7 Days a Week!

Diceman Radio - High Band and

Low Band (Just played '72 Muchachos. Currently playing '97 Blue Stars):

Old time Drum Corps, 24/7!

We know these exist. We're talking about DCI actually having their form of DCI Radio.

I don't understand the economics of commercial radio (or economics in general, for that matter) but I just don't think there is enough of a drum corps audience to make a DC channel a commercially viable venture. There are only a handful of stations in the country devoted to Classical music, simply because there isn't enough audience support or demand for this type of programming. I dare say, drum corps has an even smaller potential audience.

I realize that we live and breath corps but it's important to remember that we constitute but a tiny fraction of the population -- so tiny as to be almost insignificant in terms of commercial profitability.

We know these exist. We're talking about DCI actually having their form of DCI Radio.
Well, I'm sure there are some that know and some that don't know that these stations exist. I was just putting them out there. Edited by skajerk

I don't understand the economics of commercial radio (or economics in general, for that matter) but I just don't think there is enough of a drum corps audience to make a DC channel a commercially viable venture. There are only a handful of stations in the country devoted to Classical music, simply because there isn't enough audience support or demand for this type of programming. I dare say, drum corps has an even smaller potential audience.

I realize that we live and breath corps but it's important to remember that we constitute but a tiny fraction of the population -- so tiny as to be almost insignificant in terms of commercial profitability.

Right. Hence bringing us to the question: what does DCI stand to gain from having a radio station?

I'm a CPA... this thread has brought my attention to trying to understand the economics. Having a pair of eyes (and a little bit of grey matter) crunching through it could be helpful.

I'd bet that DCI is watching the Nielsen ratings of the ESPN2 broadcast, as well as all the movie theater simulcasts. Those are probably a pretty good gauge of how well the activity will penetrate by means of media. If a one-night special on ESPN2, which is going into a LOT of homes, is only marginally effective at generating interest, it's simply not worth DCI's money to sink it into a drum corps radio station.

Follow the money, if you will. ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Follow the money, if you will. ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

However, what might it be worth to 'net stream selected clips from shows past and present, while interspersing it with sponsors ("Malaga", by the 1994 edition of the Madison Scouts...which has been brought to you by Stanbury etc), live "request hours" during the off-season to increase site traffic, and so on?

Start small and see how it goes... :)