DCI Sattelite radio I am totally Sirius about this!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

####, ####, ####!!! I was driving in my car the other day, listening to a Howard Stern re-run on Sirius when the thought hit me.....Drum Corps Radio!!! What an idea, I have to tell that to someone.......

Oh well, and I guess the guy who invented the light bulb but said, I'll get to discussing that with someone next week is a little ###### off at Edison!

Good idea. I do agree with the business logic discussed, however. But, how else to you continue to expand the fan base but by expanding the potential listeners of the activity.

I'd buy my son a Sirius (or XM) if that happened. Then maybe he'd stop downloading all that LimeWire crap with all the virus'!!!!! B)

####, ####, ####!!! I was driving in my car the other day, listening to a Howard Stern re-run on Sirius when the thought hit me.....Drum Corps Radio!!! What an idea, I have to tell that to someone.......

Oh well, and I guess the guy who invented the light bulb but said, I'll get to discussing that with someone next week is a little ###### off at Edison!

Good idea. I do agree with the business logic discussed, however. But, how else to you continue to expand the fan base but by expanding the potential listeners of the activity.

I'd buy my son a Sirius (or XM) if that happened. Then maybe he'd stop downloading all that LimeWire crap with all the virus'!!!!! B)

wow, that filter is sensitive. I was simply saying the word for the thing a beaver makes to hold water back......nothing too sinister. :laugh:

wow, that filter is sensitive. I was simply saying the word for the thing a beaver makes to hold water back......nothing too sinister. :laugh:

beaver?? remember that part in Naked Gun????? :P

Amazing, I was driving from Michigan to Cincy today thinking the same thing! I would have listened to 5 straight hours of whatever they would have to offer.

DW

Just wondering, is HD radio commercial free?

Saw your signature--care to tell the kiddies about Internet radio??? Cost next to NOTHING to do a station. EASILY within DCI's rather meager budget. Great way to get in on some national radio advertising money, too.

Oh, dang--shut up--someone might copy your idea!! (Called it first)

Several people have mentioned drum corps radio as a good way to expand the fan base. I think this line of reasoning a bit short sighted. Part of the problem with such a venture, as I see it, is that the medium of radio leaves out half of the corps equation -- the visual. A great deal of our activity's appeal comes from its visual component. (There are even those that feel the visual has eclipsed the musical aspect of modern productions.) Therefore, we must ask, would the music of drum corps alone have enough appeal to the general population to attract an audience?

Therefore, we must ask, would the music of drum corps alone have enough appeal to the general population to attract an audience?

Probably not the general public, but, I don't need xm for DCI, I have my ipod.

Let's add up some points here... not saying it couldn't work, but some thoughts...

First, DCI has only so much programming in its possession. By my basic estimation, about 6 days worth that would be worth putting on the air. We're talking finalists, a few semis... ok. I guess that could be ok. That really means that if you mixed it well by day, you wouldn't get tons of reruns.

Next, do all the fans want to hear stuff from 1974? Probably not. Not a dis, but there's always a bias towards more familiar stuff. Still, could get around it.

Now, the nasty. To create such a behemoth isn't out of the question, but imagine that you'd have to have one person dedicated to it. I could imagine that the loaded salary of said person would be $60k. Yes, you would have to have one full-timer on it, if it's going to meet the "professional" standards here. Pre-recorded voice intros, etc. etc.... no way around it. DJDCI in the hizzy.

Broadband costs would probably be in the thousands annually.

Then, you have commercials. Who creates them? Who advertises on the station? Local companies have little interest in internet/worldwide audiences. Who's left? Maybe NAMM, Pearl, Yamaha, etc... the usual bunch. Worth much? Probably not.

How about satellite radio then? No ads, right? Well, if you have no ads, then you'll be in the subscriber pool. In other words, the $12/mo people pay gets divvied up to content providers... i.e. howard stern, espn, mlb, for rights to broadcast. The channels that are left are designed to provide value to the service. That's a DCI channel.

AFAIK, it would require someone "spin" DCI 24/7. Cost? Three radio peeps, maybe 4. Plus engineering time, plus any remote location costs. Sirius or XM would have to fund that out of their kind hearts because there wouldn't be (significant) ad revenue or whatnot.

So if you went bargain-basement, i.e. put stuff on a loop, maybe you could get away with a voice talent introducing each show... again, that's close to one full-timer that knows what to do, plus broadband.

The absolute cheapest this could get off the ground would be with a volunteer effort, and you still have to pay for the pipe.... or no dj, just playback with no meta.

Either way, if I'm the BoD, I'd ask where the money will come from? In theory, you're reducing the need to buy product with CD/DVD media, and there is no real way to monetize it.

Follow the money, and you see a dead-end quickly.

as i was reading through the pages of this, i was thinking the same thing

Instead of talking about it, why doesn't someone contact DCI, find out what they would need for it to operate, and e-mail someone At SIRUIS radio and find out what it would really take. I don't have SIRIUS, I have an iPod, so I would not be compelled to get the package. And I think I'm in the majority of non-owners - I don't think the drum corps would be enough to compel me to enroll.

Might not be the best link, or best POC (point of contact), but it is a hopping off point, yes?

:laugh:

Got a contact? I've got a really great new product idea for them but can't seem to get through. Something about not wanting me to sue them if they grab my idea and don't give me credit. Danged corporations! What did I get the MBA for anyways?