DCI Sattelite radio I am totally Sirius about this!

Here's a question, why doesn't DCI create a Drum Corps Radio here on the internet and see the number of people who will listen to it before they put the idea into a satellite radio?

Could one possible problem be the programming rights to the shows?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But you know, I'll take these "hidden" costs becaue I know that commercial radio is supporting local businesses (and visa versa). If I have to listen to commercials every minutes, so be it. With satellite only one, either XM or Sirius, is getting all the money.

Zuh?

Last I checked, the flow of money was something like this.

Local business ----> Radio station ---> Clear Channel/other owner -----> RIAA/Satan

:laugh::doh:

(Like Liam, I'm also not trying to convince anybody of anything. Just trying to put it out there... no matter what happens, your money ends up going to the big corporations.)

Edited by bigCPApi

Here's a question, why doesn't DCI create a Drum Corps Radio here on the internet and see the number of people who will listen to it before they put the idea into a satellite radio?

With all the "Web 2.0" improvements they've attempted this season, it couldn't hurt...just stream the audio archives. :)

Not sure now is the best time to push for a new channel on satellite radio. The waters are a little murky with the proposed XM/Sirius merger, and there are already talks that some of the lower-rated channels (rumors point to both providers' Broadway channels for a start) may be cut if the merger goes through.

Satellite would be preferrable to terrestrial radio (either standard AM/FM or HD Radio) since satellite programming is national and would reach a larger audience than the network of smaller, regional stations. If we could succeed in getting a Drum Corps channel on XM, I could hop in my car in California and listen to non-stop corps news and music all the way to Indianapolis next summer. If the deal was with OTA radio, even syndicated, I would lose signal a few miles east of San Francisco and then have to shuffle CDs the rest of the way.

With all the "Web 2.0" improvements they've attempted this season, it couldn't hurt...just stream the audio archives. :)

That's what I was thinking. Test the market first. Now will they include just DCI shows ('72 to today) or ALL junior shows?

I'm willing to bet the idea has been kicked around, albeit in relative secrecy. The benefit of keeping it under wraps would be that they could make it commercially viable BEFORE getting all sorts of pressure from the corps community.

Well I hope so. And it's true that I have no way of knowing either way if something is in the works. I hope there's a lot of stuff in the works, but after the much bally-hooed introduction of Coltrin almost a year ago, I haven't seen anything substantive come of it. I know when I make a partnership with a service provider like that in the business world, I'm itching to show a splashy benefit as soon as possible to validate the decision. Time will tell, I guess.

That said, how do we make it commercially viable? Is the point of this station to spread the gospel of drum corps, or to give those of us without Ipods another means to listen to corps on the go? How big is the demand? Can we manufacture demand?

All good questions -- sound like something a marketing firm would undertake to answer. Maybe they have.

Liam, you seem to have a handle on economics in general... do you know anybody in the radio business? Now I'm interested ^0^

Used to work in radio and television myself. Works the same as anything else -- put your product out there and get someone to pay for it. Not sure what Sirius/XM charge for a spot on the dial -- but production costs would be minimal and seems like sponsorship could be lined up to pay for most, if not all, of it. Live broadcasts and talk shows would cost more, of course, but start slow and line up more and more sponsors as you become popular.

This is all very high-level summary stuff of course. Point is, it's possible, it's prolly wouldn't cost DCI much if anything, and it's cutting edge technology -- something right up the alley of "Marching's Major Leagues"

Instead of playing full shows, they could just play individual selections. This way, DCI wouldn't be sending out their complete product for free and it would give people a taste of shows they haven't yet heard. Sort of like...

"And that was William Tell Overture from the Carolina Crown's 2007 season-opening performance at Annapolis. You can download Crown's entire show from Annapolis for $3.49 in the APD Section. All proceeds from APD sales go back to corps, so you are actually helping the corps you buy from as you help yourself to a high-quality recording. If you liked Crown's rendition of William Tell, you will love the Bridgemen's 1979 arrangement coming up next on WDBC: your choice for drum and bugle corps in radio."