Expsoure on ESPN2

Now, I know the footage and discussion which takes place on ESPN2 is not up to par for those who are actually IN the activity.

I want to bring up another point of discussion though. All top 12 are shown, but only the top ten are really "featured", if you can even call it featured. Meanwhile the 11th and 12th place corps are only give 45 second slots which show small clips of their show. That is...the 11th and 12th place corps from semifinals.

I was surprised to find out that the corps are going to be shown in performance order, rather than by placement. This means that the Colts are not going to be featured as the 10th place corps, even though they earned 10th place on finals night. Instead, it will be Glassmen, who managed to beat the Colts in semis, and therefore went on in the 10th place slot at finals.

Am I the only one who thinks it is unfair that it is set up this way? I mean if I could control it, then all corps would be broadcasted with their entire shows. While that might not be possible, I think at the very least the actual top ten should get the footage they deserve. Especially the Colts, who were the first new corps in finals since 2005 and havn't made it themselves since 2001. Forget the fact that it was difficult enough for them to break in with all the stiff competition this year, but their rise to 10th place was very admirable. I'm sure all those kids wish they were being broadcast in the 10th spot like they deserve.

I'm really not trying to bag on ESPN2 or DCI, because I think the exposure is great. Just wanted to see if there were others who shared this view.

Should NCAA and networks be obligated equal airtime during the Final Four to teams that didn't make it?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the system is unfair to begin with knowing about it in advanced does not make it any fairer. The system is unfair due to the points laid out in the OP, they coverage is not reconciled with the actual events on finals. The same thing would happen with the top five live if a corps jumped from say 6th to 5th place for finals. That was understandable. But seeing this is not live and they have time to work on production, I don’t understand the reason why they can’t reconcile the package with the results, you’d think it’d be in DCI best interest to show off their best. There may be some reason for this but it is unbeknownst to me.

Free TV generally has higher rating because it is free. Meaning people that have ESPN2 most likely have at least 30 channels options so it splits the market. Where as on a good day, I only get about 10 channels and 2 of those are PBS. So yes, I do check PBS regularly – this difference is being marginalized as more people go to cable. Last I saw it was 80-85% of American homes have cable, some cable shows are beating broadcast TV shows now. But the free network channels still pull in the biggest overall numbers.

Like I said, I don’t think it’s a big deal but I am sympathetic the OPs disappointment.

If DCI wants more TV exposure then I don’t know why they don’t work the ‘local’ media more. Meaning, after finals in Madison 2006 (or this year, or ever), I did not see any TV coverage on the results of DCI. I don’t know why none the news programs or Sunday night sports wrap up show failed to highlight that 2 crops in the Chicago market went 1 and 2 in finals. I wonder if they were given a targeted media package. Sundays are generally slow news days and the sports show seem to always feature some odd ball sports clip. At the least, I expected someone to email the sports radio morning show which has huge rating numbers and loves everything Rosemont as Mike North, the host, has big ties to the city. They went on for days over the death of the Mayor and often have Rosemont officials on air.

But what I really want to see is the George Hopkins quote that I’m irrelevant. I’d like to see a context. I saw this sentiment echoed in a post of a Cadet booster here so I’m guessing this is their new mantra. If there are trying to grow DCI, I hardly think having one of the most visible figures making such insulting comments is in their best interest. I thought George Hopkins was a legacy fan too? If true, that is not the way to grow DCI

Ideally, I liked it when the entire show was on live TV......I don't see that happening anytime in the near future, and that is one expensive show. I think it is great that we are on ESPN, and that has opened our "sport" to a new audience......I would love to see full shows broadcast.....but I also realize that DCI makes money on DVD's, and they made far less when people could record the entire product off of the airwaves.......I am sure that is part of the decision.....I have had a problem with explaining to non-drum corps people that they are not seeing the entire contest or the entire performances....I do think they should make it continually known that they are only seeing excerpts of the shows.....I think quarterfinals live in the theatres and also the Spring showdown theatre broadcasts have been greak perks for drum corps fans.......Nothing is perfect, but I think what we have is good...........

GB

If the system is unfair to begin with knowing about it in advanced does not make it any fairer. The system is unfair due to the points laid out in the OP, they coverage is not reconciled with the actual events on finals. The same thing would happen with the top five live if a corps jumped from say 6th to 5th place for finals. That was understandable. But seeing this is not live and they have time to work on production, I don’t understand the reason why they can’t reconcile the package with the results, you’d think it’d be in DCI best interest to show off their best. There may be some reason for this but it is unbeknownst to me.

Free TV generally has higher rating because it is free. Meaning people that have ESPN2 most likely have at least 30 channels options so it splits the market. Where as on a good day, I only get about 10 channels and 2 of those are PBS. So yes, I do check PBS regularly – this difference is being marginalized as more people go to cable. Last I saw it was 80-85% of American homes have cable, some cable shows are beating broadcast TV shows now. But the free network channels still pull in the biggest overall numbers.

Like I said, I don’t think it’s a big deal but I am sympathetic the OPs disappointment.

If DCI wants more TV exposure then I don’t know why they don’t work the ‘local’ media more. Meaning, after finals in Madison 2006 (or this year, or ever), I did not see any TV coverage on the results of DCI. I don’t know why none the news programs or Sunday night sports wrap up show failed to highlight that 2 crops in the Chicago market went 1 and 2 in finals. I wonder if they were given a targeted media package. Sundays are generally slow news days and the sports show seem to always feature some odd ball sports clip. At the least, I expected someone to email the sports radio morning show which has huge rating numbers and loves everything Rosemont as Mike North, the host, has big ties to the city. They went on for days over the death of the Mayor and often have Rosemont officials on air.

But what I really want to see is the George Hopkins quote that I’m irrelevant. I’d like to see a context. I saw this sentiment echoed in a post of a Cadet booster here so I’m guessing this is their new mantra. If there are trying to grow DCI, I hardly think having one of the most visible figures making such insulting comments is in their best interest. I thought George Hopkins was a legacy fan too? If true, that is not the way to grow DCI

So I would expect no review coming from you abbout how horrible the ESPN2 coverage is after the Sept. 5 telecast. That's fair.

I don't understand the disappointment though. You and the OP and others on here fail to realize that one man brought most of the PBS broadcasts together and paid for them for several years. His name is Bill Cook. He underwrote the costs of producing the broadcast during DCIs leaner years.

The last DCI event was live from Madison and it was run during a summer "telethon." I was at the show in Madison so I watched how the live show was coordinated. I believe it was only top 5. I also believe the corps that finsihed 6th in semis ended up in fifth after finals but did not have their performance aired live. I think I'm right on that, but my memory is a bit foggy as to that evening.

So the ESPN2 broadcast isn't what you want. Here's the solution for you. Get the money together for the production costs and airtime. Get the permission from DCI to broadcast the show however you want to and be in complete control of the final product.

I just don't see how it is an improvement to show the complete top 12 in their entirety when they are in the market to sell DVDs of these complete performances. Why give away something of value for nothing in return? How does that benefit DCI and the marching members?

The broadcasts over the past two seasons have been scripted to appeal to the younger audiences of potential new fans and new potential marching members. It has been determined that they need a "sample platter" to help make a decision if this thing is cool enough to want to get more connected to.

I accept it and if the DCI BoD did not support the concept, I'm sure it would be changed. I hope you have sent DCI an email of your thoughts.

Honestly, if you want to see all of the shows, go to a show and/or buy a DVD. If you already did that, be patient.

I agree with the format. They are simulating like it is actually happening (which is why it is airing so late). To the average person that stumbles across, this format will hold their attention better than the PBS broadcast (IMO). I think it is a great marketing tool, and should remain as such. Like I said, if you want the full shows, buy a DVD.

Not to mention the 1/4-final broadcast in the theaters and semis via the web.

I agree with the original poster that the Colts should be highlighted as the 10th place corps and get more air time, nevertheless, it is DCI, not ESPN that edits the final product to be shown for two hours. (Just becasue corps in the past may have been shunned does not make it right now--i.e. should we not learn from our mistakes?)

DCI can make the decision that the 10-12th place corps (through editing) get equal air time on the broadcast.

Should NCAA and networks be obligated equal airtime during the Final Four to teams that didn't make it?

But that's not really a fair comparison, is it? Seeing as the NCAA Tournament will be broadcasted LIVE (on various channels)... We won't know who's in or out until we watch it. However here we're seeing a REPLAY of what's already happened...

...If DCI wants more TV exposure then I don’t know why they don’t work the ‘local’ media more. Meaning, after finals in Madison 2006 (or this year, or ever), I did not see any TV coverage on the results of DCI. I don’t know why none the news programs or Sunday night sports wrap up show failed to highlight that 2 crops in the Chicago market went 1 and 2 in finals. I wonder if they were given a targeted media package. Sundays are generally slow news days and the sports show seem to always feature some odd ball sports clip. At the least, I expected someone to email the sports radio morning show which has huge rating numbers and loves everything Rosemont as Mike North, the host, has big ties to the city. They went on for days over the death of the Mayor and often have Rosemont officials on air.

I can't speak about the day after Finals in Madison, but I know while I was in town, I saw multiple features on the event, at least one Wednesday night after getting back to my hotel and something on morning news...didn't see the evening news after Wednesday due to being at the stadium. And I saw Cavaliers featured on Chicago television once I got back. There were even a couple Chicago stations that did spots on the corps' Naperville show this year. Not so sure the Chicago market includes Rockford. I never see Rockford news on Chicago television...I'm guessing Rockford is its own market.