Muchachos 1975

Not to bring up old wounds but the CW I remember from back in that era is that there were an over age person or two in some corps that had forged birth certificates to con their way in (unbeknownst to the staff and admin of the corps they were in) but Hawthorne had as many as 10 to 20 over age members that the staff and administration knew about and accepted (and some were way over 22 years old). I've always thought that a good comparison would've been if SCV and Madison were able to march their best over age members from 72, 73 and 74 then the playing field would have been even.

This discussion is not unlike Mark McQuire saying everyone was taking PED's in his era so his records should stand - in his mind he probably believes it but everyone who played by the rules sees it completely different.

Edited by bass5

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the exact story I got from both Don Pesceone and Bob Briske. Neither one even looked at the sheets. The previous weekend, the corps was fourth at the finals of the World Open. Consider the scores from that contest: Blue Devils 91.05, SCV 89.05, 27th Lancers 87.40, Muchachos 86.50. They would have had to make up just over 4.5 points to have won prelims from Worlds, a rumor that refuses to die, and they would have had to do it in six days.

Hi Mike,

However, just 2 days after World Open (and the last show before prelims), was CYO nationals, where the Muchachos finished 2nd, and now 1.7 down to eventual champion Madison, and beating Blue Devils, Vanguard, and 27th. That was certainly possible to overcome back in those days.

I know that the "official word" was that sheets and tapes were destroyed. This is contrary to a rumor that I heard that the tabulator had ran the numbers before the "destroy" order came and a few people also supposedly saw the tabbed score. Not sure if I believe that one. Has anyone ever questioned the tabulator?

What I DO find strange though, is this. Every judge has a tote, which they record every number for every corps. They couldn't destroy their totes because they were needed to verify all other numbers, and they would have placed a number down on their tote before turning in their sheets. I guarantee you that most, if not every judge who did that show knows the number they gave Hawthorne, and their placement in their caption. I believe they were "sworn to secrecy", and they sure did that well. I don't know if all of those judges are alive, but it would be interesting to know if they knew what they gave, and especially if you had them all and could simply add them. My guess is we will never know.

Please, Doug.... if people still want to talk about the 1976 Carter-Ford presidential election campaign, then they should be allowed to do so. :laughing:

Fran

Guy Who Wished Ford Had Won

:tongue:

Newton Minnow was wrong ... TV isn't the vast wasteland, not compared to DCP during off season, at least.

Guy who voted for Carter (as a first-time voter.)

P.S.: When you guys want to debate the wisdom of Spiro Agnew's resignation, give me a ... no wait, #### it. That's not worth it either.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

:doh:

Newton Minnow was wrong ... TV isn't the vast wasteland, not compared to DCP during off season, at least.

Man what's worse "Mr Ed", "My Favorite Martian" or DCP during the off season. :wall:

P.S.: When you guys want to debate the wisdom of Spiro Agnew's resignation, give me a ... no wait, #### it. That's not worth it either.

Eh we evened out as my first vote went to Ford.

Lived near the MD border and got to see a lot of Spiro pontificating on the Baltimore stations. :wall: Especially when the tax man was going after his butt. :inlove:

Heh...my first vote went to Ford.

So you suck. :inlove:

Fran

Man what's worse "Mr Ed", "My Favorite Martian" or DCP during the off season. :wall:

Eh we evened out as my first vote went to Ford.

Lived near the MD border and got to see a lot of Spiro pontificating on the Baltimore stations. :wall: Especially when the tax man was going after his butt. :inlove:

I'd take "Mr. Ed" or "My Favorite Martian" any day ... You're invoking the classics there.

So you suck. :wall:

Fran

Yeah, but you've known that since '78 ... So nothing new there either. :inlove:

Fran

Only when I tried to march..... :wall:

Thanks goodness for standstills. :wall:

Heh...my first vote went to Ford.

Fran

So did Ford.

AND the guy he pardoned.