Muchachos 1975

Does any rules violation merit disqualification? What if half the corps was overage? 75%

On another note, is there any other rules violation that has disqualification as a consequence? If a corps performed with "illiegal" instruments, points are deducted but I don't think they are disqualified.

Good point... I recall Boston in 1985 (I think) had a drum solo of Beverly Hills Cop and for Semi-Finals decided to take the penalty and use the electronic keyboard. It only made sense with that chart to use the keyboard and I for one was glad they did.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, I sure would like to hear what your instructor had to say about the whole affair. Especially the drum line. 19.7? What show was that at? SCV won drums with a 19.4 at Philly. That was the highest score we saw that year. Who was Muchachos instructor in '75?

I'm pretty sure It was a Dennis DeLucia line.

Loudest drumline I've ever heard.

I recall Boston in 1985 (I think) had a drum solo of Beverly Hills Cop and for Semi-Finals decided to take the penalty and use the electronic keyboard.

The 2-point penalty cost Boston one placement at semifinals. They would have beaten the Knights had they not had that penalty. The day before, at quarterfinals, Boston didn't use the synth, and they came out ahead of the Knights.

The 2-point penalty cost Boston one placement at semifinals. They would have beaten the Knights had they not had that penalty. The day before, at quarterfinals, Boston didn't use the synth, and they came out ahead of the Knights.

Yeah. What could have happened did happen. We gave perhaps the best performance in the history of the corps that day. No electronics, I bet we beat them anyway.

Yeah. What could have happened did happen. We gave perhaps the best performance in the history of the corps that day. No electronics, I bet we beat them anyway.

I had a feeling this would get Tom in the discussion... :sleeping::rolleyes:

I did not want to bring up the whole lost a placement as a result of the penalty imposed on Boston, but yes it did happen.

I just think that for that drum feature it made so much more sense to use the electronic keyboard, I mean it was the theme of Beverly Hills Cop. BTW we in the Velvet Knights hung out with the Knight's and other corps cymbal lines having cymbal jams in the parking lot after most shows.

I am ultimately mixed on the age out rules.

I think if you allow older folks to perform you will make it harder for the younger folks to participate.

At issue for me is how to handle the case where you have an overage member.

I guess it is really complicated by the fact that (my assumption of the DCI rules) it requires a challenge or protest.

That is to say another corps must cite the violation in order to have DCI review qualification (again I might be wrong here).

All in all, I think other than using fraudulent documentation, DCI has proactively managed the documentation of corps members better and as such we might not have this be an issue in the future.

I had a feeling this would get Tom in the discussion... :sleeping::rolleyes:

I did not want to bring up the whole lost a placement as a result of the penalty imposed on Boston, but yes it did happen.

I just think that for that drum feature it made so much more sense to use the electronic keyboard, I mean it was the theme of Beverly Hills Cop. BTW we in the Velvet Knights hung out with the Knight's and other corps cymbal lines having cymbal jams in the parking lot after most shows.

I am ultimately mixed on the age out rules.

I think if you allow older folks to perform you will make it harder for the younger folks to participate.

At issue for me is how to handle the case where you have an overage member.

I guess it is really complicated by the fact that (my assumption of the DCI rules) it requires a challenge or protest.

That is to say another corps must cite the violation in order to have DCI review qualification (again I might be wrong here).

All in all, I think other than using fraudulent documentation, DCI has proactively managed the documentation of corps members better and as such we might not have this be an issue in the future.

Are you Joe who also marched with Florida Wave on cymbals? If so, I have a picture of you with VK and the red cymbals that I need to get up on here.

Are you Joe who also marched with Florida Wave on cymbals? If so, I have a picture of you with VK and the red cymbals that I need to get up on here.

Thanks, Tom.

We used the Dark Blue Paiste Color Sound Cymbals in 1985.

BD used the same colors as the wings (Purple, Aqua, and Pink I think).

Lancers used Black.

I don't recall Red. :sleeping:

I remember I had a good friend Tom in the BD Cymbal Line (1984 - 1988 I believe).

In 1985 they had the fire that destroyed their drums right before a show in the midwest.

They used our Aqua with Construction Orange Pinstriped drums (with happy face scoops and our Blue color sound cymbals.

It was too funny watching Tom Float and Scott Johnson tuning them and being serious.

I remember I had a good friend Tom in the BD Cymbal Line (1984 - 1988 I believe).

In 1985 they had the fire that destroyed their drums right before a show in the midwest.

They used our Aqua with Construction Orange Pinstriped drums (with happy face scoops and our Blue color sound cymbals.

My wife and I had seen the Blue Devils in Minnesota the night before the fire. We were on our way to Indiana the next morning when we stopped at a rest area in Wisconsin. Low and behold.....What's that? The Blue Devils brand new multicolor percussion equipment all melted on the pavement, next to the scorched vehicle. We couldn't believe it! Luckily nobody got hurt, and the percussion company presented them with all new stuff at the next show.

We were with BD (and VK) at Stillwater right before that. Word got to us as we were traveling the next morning, and it spread at the rest stop. We were all "No way!", then, "Really? Wow."

I always laugh at the fact that after the fire, Ludwig kitted them out with spankin' new battery drums and toms for the second half of the 85 tour, then Tom Float decides to go with Yamaha for 86. Ouch. Timing is everything.