Muchachos 1975

One guy got flagged - but I've always been under the impression that they had more than one (and maybe more than a few) overage members. Anyone got any info, one way or the other?

Fred O.

My 76 VK drum instructor marched in the 75 Muchachos snare line. What he told me was that there were quite a few over aged horn players and only a few drummers yet it was a drummer who got caught. I may have the sections reversed up but from the way he described it there was definitely more than one.

On a side note he did show us one of the drum sheets from the show where the drumline scored a 19.7. That was an amazing sight.

Edited by SoundmanG

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One guy got flagged - but I've always been under the impression that they had more than one (and maybe more than a few) overage members. Anyone got any info, one way or the other?

The estimate was 20+ performers who were overage (which would line up with Tommy's recollection).

There's no question that the M's were on fire that year, but also no question that they were cheating. That being the case, it doesn't matter what their scores were, since they were tainted from the beginning.

A good friend of mine who was in the 75 Muchachos told me that yes there were several overage members. However, the members were under the impression (from the staff) that this was common in other corps too, so they didn't worry about it. It always seemed to me that while, yes, the members knew about it, they wre misled by their instructors regarding whether or not it was appropriate. That's why I always felt sorry for the members even though they knew about it.

It was definitely common in alot of corps!

A good friend of mine who was in the 75 Muchachos told me that yes there were several overage members. However, the members were under the impression (from the staff) that this was common in other corps too, so they didn't worry about it. It always seemed to me that while, yes, the members knew about it, they wre misled by their instructors regarding whether or not it was appropriate. That's why I always felt sorry for the members even though they knew about it.

My 76 VK drum instructor marched in the 75 Muchachos snare line. What he told me was that there were quite a few over aged horn players and only a few drummers yet it was a drummer who got caught. I may have the sections reversed up but from the way he described it there was definitely more than one.

On a side note he did show us one of the drum sheets from the show where the drumline scored a 19.7. That was an amazing sight.

Boy, I sure would like to hear what your instructor had to say about the whole affair. Especially the drum line. 19.7? What show was that at? SCV won drums with a 19.4 at Philly. That was the highest score we saw that year. Who was Muchachos instructor in '75?

Boy, I sure would like to hear what your instructor had to say about the whole affair. Especially the drum line. 19.7? What show was that at? SCV won drums with a 19.4 at Philly. That was the highest score we saw that year. Who was Muchachos instructor in '75?

DRUMS.....Dennis Delucia

DRUMS.....Dennis Delucia

I see. So, if Hawthorne had not been disq., Mr. Delucia might have stayed and had a dynasty with them instead of Bridgemen? Wow, did not know that. That would have turned out super different. At the time, all (ok, many) of the top drum lines were either taught by or influenced by Fred Sanford and Gerry Kearby--Anaheim, SCV, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Kilties, Madison, etc. and had Muchachos won drums in '75 then----man, modern drum corps drumming might have been influenced quite differently. This whole issue seems to have farther reaching circumstances than it first appears.

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

I see. So, if Hawthorne had not been disq., Mr. Delucia might have stayed and had a dynasty with them instead of Bridgemen? Wow, did not know that. That would have turned out super different. At the time, all (ok, many) of the top drum lines were either taught by or influenced by Fred Sanford and Gerry Kearby--Anaheim, SCV, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Kilties, Madison, etc. and had Muchachos won drums in '75 then----man, modern drum corps drumming might have been influenced quite differently. This whole issue seems to have farther reaching circumstances than it first appears.

What would have been the average age of this so called dynasty? 28 maybe 29

I also marched in that drumline on tenors... scored a 19.5 at the CYO Nationals on 8/11/75, about a week before the DCI Nationals. We did find out that we had scored a 19.3 in field percussion at the DCI prelims. You can do a search here on the Historical forum and you'll find loads of posts on this whole affair.

Regardless of what did occur that season, I have to say that the CYO Nationals in 1975 was probably the best drum corps experience I had in over 8 years of marching & 4 years of instructing. Dennis DeLucia was a phenomenal instructor who knew how to motivate. I was 17-years old that year and it was as devastating as anyone has mentioned in all the various posts on the topic. Some knew of the scope of the age transgressions, others in the corps weren't as clear as to who was actually involved in the rules infractions.

I was approximately 5 feet away from the actual "call-out" event of the member in question coming off the field... it was not conducted in a "professional" manner as I recall....really nasty, and they didn't wait for our corps director to be called first.

I also marched in that drumline on tenors... scored a 19.5 at the CYO Nationals on 8/11/75, about a week before the DCI Nationals. We did find out that we had scored a 19.3 in field percussion at the DCI prelims. You can do a search here on the Historical forum and you'll find loads of posts on this whole affair.

Regardless of what did occur that season, I have to say that the CYO Nationals in 1975 was probably the best drum corps experience I had in over 8 years of marching & 4 years of instructing. Dennis DeLucia was a phenomenal instructor who knew how to motivate. I was 17-years old that year and it was as devastating as anyone has mentioned in all the various posts on the topic. Some knew of the scope of the age transgressions, others in the corps weren't as clear as to who was actually involved in the rules infractions.

I was approximately 5 feet away from the actual "call-out" event of the member in question coming off the field... it was not conducted in a "professional" manner as I recall....really nasty, and they didn't wait for our corps director to be called first.

I was seventeen years old and played tenors with Kilts that year, pleased to meet you. You guys were great, what we saw of you. I've been trying to locate the footage of Muchachos '75 prelims online but have not been able to locate any. Just bad urls.

I remember CYO, (rough crowd) pulling up and listening to Blue Stars plaster the place with their big sound--you got scores from that show? I'd like to see recaps for fun.

5 feet away? That's the closest I've heard of yet. Sorry to hear it.