On field pranks?

Corps prank on the staff (and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I BELIEVE this is correct)

97 Madison....last run before Finals...the company front chord at the end....the corps en masse decides to hold it out forrrrrrever on the last run to get the staff.....the staff liked it so much, it went into the show, and thus a legendary moment was born!

Madison used to always pull some kind of prank on their staff during the final rehearsal run. The way I heard it from a friend who marched, is that in '97, staff was waiting the entire run from where they thought the pranks would go, but to no avail. Then at the end, the drum major picked up a pirate flag, recreating the ending from '85 (I think) with the championship flag and the camera.

Like you said, they put it into the show.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in 2003, Madison tried to play the mario theme in there park and blow section. Apparently not all the members got word of it, so it failed horribly. Someone from 2003 correct me if i'm wrong on that.

Madison used to always pull some kind of prank on their staff during the final rehearsal run. The way I heard it from a friend who marched, is that in '97, staff was waiting the entire run from where they thought the pranks would go, but to no avail. Then at the end, the drum major picked up a pirate flag, recreating the ending from '85 (I think) with the championship flag and the camera.

1980. The Cavies thing was kind of funny, but I can't say if I was in BD's situation I would have responded any differently than they did. The response seems justified.

I think in 2003, Madison tried to play the mario theme in there park and blow section. Apparently not all the members got word of it, so it failed horribly. Someone from 2003 correct me if i'm wrong on that.

I remember they played something there that wasn't right but you're correct, not everyone got the memo hah. They also had 3 contras play the sop soli in the opener. In '05 during the middle flag hit, one of our tech's called it a "Mexican Fiesta" so for our last run we shredded a bunch of construction paper into confetti pieces and rolled them into our flags.. the second we all started spinning it looked like a huge pinata had been broken :P.

Edited by zackiedude

Well, this was not on the field but after someone ran all my underware up the flag pole in Butler Pa. back in 75, I made sure to put that persons suitcase & duffle bag on the equipment truck of a corps we would not see again for 4 days.

Excellent stuff!

I want more!

I remember they played something there that wasn't right but you're correct, not everyone got the memo hah. They also had 3 contras play the sop soli in the opener. In '05 during the middle flag hit, one of our tech's called it a "Mexican Fiesta" so for our last run we shredded a bunch of construction paper into confetti pieces and rolled them into our flags.. the second we all started spinning it looked like a huge pinata had been broken :P.

In 03, it was the Charlie Brown Theme Song. There's hornline sleep circle that calls themselves "Peanuts". It was their idea. The guard had no idea the prank was going to happen, so when it came about in the run-through...we were completely taken aback. I remember laughing and barely being able to get through the flag phrase.

ZACK!! I'm sending you a PM immediately! miss you bro!

Edited by ScoutSpinner03

Not a practical joke, but a surprise for staff. In 1990, the soprano's often practiced the sop feature of Candide, mouthpiece only, to clean the articulations. Folks often joked about doing it in the show that way, since the duck sound was pretty funny and it's a pretty light-hearted piece. Well, they surprised staff during the Victory Run Through. The expression on our brass staff's faces was fantastic....a lot of the hornline was laughing so much, many missed the next entrance.

Well, this was not on the field but after someone ran all my underware up the flag pole in Butler Pa. back in 75, I made sure to put that persons suitcase & duffle bag on the equipment truck of a corps we would not see again for 4 days.

Nice! :)

Garfield's show in '87 started with the contras playing a pedal tone (low B flat, I think). One day in sectionals they all played it up a half step, causing a tremendous train wreck when the baritones came in. IIRC, Klesch wasn't amused and sent them out for a few laps around the building.

Apparently, that was a variation of a similar stunt in '85, when the baritone soloist at the beginning of Jeremiah played his opening part up a half step.