Alumni Spectacular Review anyone?

Really enjoyed this years edition of the Alumni Spectacular. Especially with the addition of Opti and Les Diplomates. Speaking of Opti.....I see there is an article on this site about "Building The Green Machine". Sorry......It was already built in the '60's and they were called The Toronto Optimists :doh:

The only thing missing during their show at Rochester was the "Fixed Bayonet" drill AND McConky.

"Mean Gene" is that you? This is Bob Vivalo, Blessed Sacrament and we met at the Macy's Super Corps in '94 and a few other shows after that. Glad to see you comment. Live in GA now but still come up to NJ to play with the GK's. Young Brian, my sidekick, is married now but his old man still plays with us.

Bob

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mean Gene" is that you? This is Bob Vivalo, Blessed Sacrament and we met at the Macy's Super Corps in '94 and a few other shows after that. Glad to see you comment. Live in GA now but still come up to NJ to play with the GK's. Young Brian, my sidekick, is married now but his old man still plays with us.

Bob

Hi Bob....Yep it's ME. Can't seem to shake this Drum Corps' thingee. I remember the '94 All Stars like it was yesterday. Remember our Mellophone Instructor, Regina from Sky? She's been with Empire for a few years now. Then there's Mark Sinden who I marched next to (he dropped out for a few years ) is back with Empire.

Sure missed GK at the Alumni show the last couple years. What a kick### soprano line.

Edited by melligene

Hey John,

No pages missing. Steve had a small blurb that the Alumni Show would be covered in the next issue.

Ray

Thanks for the info, Ray. I hadn't seen that anywhere. And of course I was just remarking 'toungue-in-cheek' about the missing pages! Hope all is well.

Smitty

Hi Bob....Yep it's ME. Can't seem to shake this Drum Corps' thingee. I remember the '94 All Stars like it was yesterday. Remember our Mellophone Instructor, Regina from Sky? She's been with Empire for a few years now. Then there's Mark Sinden who I marched next to (he dropped out for a few years ) is back with Empire.

Sure missed GK at the Alumni show the last couple years. What a kick### soprano line.

Yes, I hear ya. We decided that if it is not in Scranton we would not go. Miss ya' though Gene. Can't believe how fast time flies. I had been a volunteer with the CorpVets this year but could not make it up DCA weekend. (ran out of vacation time). Anyway, I am glad it was you, and yes, our sop line is unbelievable. We have about 10 horses that can do what needs to be done. Sort of like a mirror image of the old "Sky" greats of the '60's and 70's.

Between no one doing a review and no article from DCW, It's a real bummer. Not only for us that couldn't be there, but for the performers like to know how the audience liked their show.

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride <**> <**> <**>

I wish I could have covered the Alumni Spectacular since I am a DCW writer, but I was performing in that show with my corps, the Crusaders Sr. of Boston and couldn't see enough of the show to give any kind of fair report. Also, I am the Vice President of our corps and had to be available to my unit.

I was disappointed that the write-ups for the alumni corps in the program book were cut to bare minimum do to economic measures. I spent many hours with the help of administration members of the five corps to which I was assigned (Hawthorne, St. Joe's, Boston, Scout House, and the Optimists) to do a decent write-up and tribute, (we were paid a small stipend for our efforts) only to see a just a listing of the staff and the repertoire.

I once covered the Plymouth Alumni Reunion while I was also a performer, but it was too big a hastle- getting dressed, tuned up, warmed up, line up instructions, etc.

Some of my impressions of the Alumni Spectacular from my point of view at various positions in the stadium at various times:

1. The show is catching on, with a crowd of around 1000 by my estimate.

2. The inclusion of 3 Canadian corps was a plus, because I had the feeling that many fans were from North of the border.

3. The Diplomats, who I got to see practicing before the show, were a pleasant surprise. It was the first time I had seen them as an alumni unit, and they were very stong in both brass and percussion.

4. Scout House is very entertaining and some of their wonderful members after the show, explained the words of "Walzing Matilda" to me. In honesty, I must say that sometimes there is too much of a good thing. I think they would be more effective if they shortened their routine by a few numbers. It's better to keep the crowd looking for more.

5. Hawthorne- I heard one of the guys from my corps say that he thought it was the best alumni performance ever. I can't argue with him. To me, they are the "real Hawthorne", not to take anything away from their competing corps. They exemplify what alumni corps are all about.

6. Boston- we were happy with our performance and by the crowd reaction. I think as a corps we are getting stronger. Last year at this show we marched with 26 horns. This year we performed with 35, and have had several more join subsequently. We're hoping for 45-50 next year. Our new brass instructor, Rick Connor, introduced some North Star magic to go along with our BAC shtick. It seems to be working.

7. Skyliners- lots of talent in both the horn and drum sections. Flight of the Bumblebee brought back memories to me of Pee Wee Todaro, although his solo is split up among two or three players. I always like Havah Nigilah, but then, it's compulsory of one from my ethnic background.

8. Optimists- Didn't get to see them, but one light moment before the show: One of their members came up to my Crusaders as we were approaching the stadium, and was very complementary about our performance at the Glenns Falls alumni show earlier this summer. He said he enjoyed our use of dynamics, our musicality, etc. and he was very positive- a great representative of his corps in terms of sportsmanship. I kidded him by commenting that he was saying this because he was in the Toronto Optimists. If her were in the Toronto Pessimists, he would have said that we sucked.

I really wish I could have seen these corps in entirety, as well as Park City Pride, Mighty St. Joe's and of course the Bridgemen, but maye I'll catch them next time.

Sorry I couldn't give a full review.

1. The show is catching on, with a crowd of around 1000 by my estimate.

Absolutely... if not more than 1,000. By the time my sister and I got to the stadium in late morning, it looked like the lower deck was pretty full, so we headed to the upper deck.

The alumni show has been a great addition to the DCA weekend, IMO. That show is just flat-out FUN to watch!

Fran

Heard Boston from the backfield ( I march with the Bridgemen and we were on after right you guys), and you sounded great!! Loved Conquest with the DM nailing the heck out of the solo that used make make draw drop back in the day. Company front looked Tickless from my vanatge point....

RCC

• 1 month later...

I sat in the front row for the show and I think Ace was doing a review on a tape recorder cause it seemed that he was making notations during each corps performances or maybe just a grocery list lol??

Absolutely... if not more than 1,000. By the time my sister and I got to the stadium in late morning, it looked like the lower deck was pretty full, so we headed to the upper deck.

The alumni show has been a great addition to the DCA weekend, IMO. That show is just flat-out FUN to watch!

Fran

1000?,........................that's it?,.................seemed like more,............

• 2 weeks later...