Silly Me

I guess my overall point is this... If Finals is about the top 12, then you show the top 12.

This isn't a professional sport, it's a youth activity. And to lop off the performances of two corps sends a clear message that they just don't matter. "You don't really need to see them, because they're not very good. But let's sit and talk to these guys over here in the studio for a while." WHAT?!?

Instead of the lovey-dovey interviews with the directors, and the run-on history of the Blue Devils (which was nice, but BD is the LAST corps on the field that needs MORE publicity) - how about a little something on the intense competition between the 4-5 corps that were trying to get into the Top 12. Now that's a story!!

Remember the tension and excitement heading into Finals week? Why not: "There was an intense competition to see who would land in the PRESTEGIOUS Top 12 - here's who was involved (show quick clips) - and the winner is... Spirit - and here's their performance!" Show the viewer what Finals is all about - and then show them ALL of the finalists.

If Finals night is about the top 12, then show the top 12. In the end, drum corps is about the kids and their performances. I feel it was a slap in the face to the hard-working, sweating members of Spirit and the Colts to drop them out of the program.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe next time DCI can cut the interviews with the directors and show ALL top 12 Corps.

I thought the broadcast was a slap in the face to Spirit and the Colts. How is it that suddenly they don't matter?? If you are going to show top 12, then show the top 12 - not just the 10 semi-finalists. Cut those silly director's interviews and show ALL of the finalists.

If you keep telling me "it's about the kids", then do what's right for the kids and show them all.

So at what age do kids become young adults?

The broadcast time is historically sacred for maniacs of the DC world--and it's danged expensive airtime! Make use of it--broadcast EVERYBODY in finals--full corps shows, 1-12. Maybe even the 13th place corps and D2/3 champs in their entirety as others have mentioned before.

DCI has to PAY for the air time on ESPN2. How in the world does what you want happen? And...it's not the intent of the broadcast. As usual, LLMM got it right on the money.

WOW.. that post blows me away.

I thought I was going to come on and contribute my congrats to DCI for a job superbly done - the show was excellent! It was entertaining, thoughtful, looked new and fresh, and promoted DC with excitement and dignity.

If they cut some interviews that didn't read well, more power to them. What's going to reach more people... an interview with a young person who might have been less than effective, or an interview with (NFL'er Young) who's going to reach tens of thousands of prospective members/viewers in 25 seconds?

I liked the perspective of the directors... and guess what - not everyone involved with drum corps is 13-21. The PARENTS (financiers) of corps members have the final say at the end of the day, don't they?

Whaddya gotta do to please people around here?

What's going to reach young potential members is WAATCHING A SHOW!

Has anyone ever gotten hooked on drum corps from an interview?

Showing the "game" works well for most sports so why wouldn't that work for DCI?

Quit complaining and go order the DVDs ... Then you can watch 'em from now until they melt in your player!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing a DCI ad to buy the DVDs for the complete performances! Or any other merchandise for that matter. They plugged DCI, but I don't recall seeing any plugs for merchandise. Seems like a huge opportunity lost.

Agree as well. Especially when the Cadets Director was soooo glum when interviewed and at the end looked like he was going to get teary eyed and maybe fall asleep right afterwards. Good grief !... DCI should have pulled the plug on that depressing interview before it aired, and put on the Corps that DCI told the TV audience " what an achievement it is to make top 12 ! "

I think he was medicated.

"Okay Mr. Hopkins. I've been a fan for many years and I have not forgotten that there are YOUNG PEOPLE under those uniforms. "

More @:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...343C4AE72164770

Bobbie'