Silly Me

Well...you distracted me away from it, so maybe others followed!

Success! :rolleyes:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well..if any of you have talked to GH personally..and I doubt many of you have (imagine that!)...you will know that the mannerisms and expressions he displayed in the interview are his norm.

Some people will go to any length to disparage. <**>

Truer words have never been posted! :rolleyes:

If you think the ESPM format was bad than don't become a serious figure skating fan because they don't show a dozen or more of the people who are competing at the events when they are televised. Hate to tell you malcontents out there but TV is about what catches peoples eyes amd what sells. The drum corps community needs to apy attention to what ESPN is telling us.

1. We are too long and too boring to show everything

2. The human interest aspect is an integral part of the corps experience

The broadcast is not ESPNs charitable gesture for the 11th and 12th place corps to see themselves on TV but a business decsion to market a product they believe they can make money on. When I marched in the stone age only the top 5 corps made it to TV and we saw that as incentive to perform better so we could see ourselves on TV. As a entertainment medium with little to compare ourselves to, we need to decide if we want to expand our audience (which would require changing how we play our game) or just go back to being this odd little subculture. People like Hopkins and Gibbs honestly try to expand and grow the activity which I respect them for as leaders of the activity. Without them, and people like them, the activity would be stuck in 1955.

Its called "progress" folks, and either get on the bus or get left in the past. Your choice.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE !!!

... i don't want to ride a bus!

(other than that, I totally agree.)

Truer words have never been posted! :rolleyes:

Yep...George and I have conversed via PM and email a couple of times. He's well aware of what he's doing in pushing this activity. His philosophy is really centered in allowing others to push back so that progress still goes forward.

But, George reminds me a bit of Bill Cook this year. No matter what you think of George or the artisitic vision or the program, he takes it very hard when the members are booed. So did Cook before him.

Is it true that George doesn't sleep very much at all and doesn't shave during finals week. I'd heard those rumors.

Yep...George and I have conversed via PM and email a couple of times. He's well aware of what he's doing in pushing this activity. His philosophy is really centered in allowing others to push back so that progress still goes forward.

But, George reminds me a bit of Bill Cook this year. No matter what you think of George or the artisitic vision or the program, he takes it very hard when the members are booed. So did Cook before him.

Is it true that George doesn't sleep very much at all and doesn't shave during finals week. I'd heard those rumors.

Im not sure, but i'd believe it. He generally doesnt sleep much any night on tour, then comes to brass sectionals and falls asleep sitting in the stands while we're playing (true story...well, once or twice - and a mans got to be tired to sleep through THAT)

If you think the ESPM format was bad than don't become a serious figure skating fan because they don't show a dozen or more of the people who are competing at the events when they are televised. Hate to tell you malcontents out there but TV is about what catches peoples eyes amd what sells. The drum corps community needs to apy attention to what ESPN is telling us.

Which is why serious fans of things like the Olympics try to get coverage from other nations by any means possible. Everything we get, in this nation, is edited down as much as possible. The opinion in the business is that people have extremely short attention spans and are idiots. You've got to bounce around and dumb it down as much as possible.

By the way, you can bet that Disney and other media monoliths love this talk about ESPN2 being free. It is that sort of thing that was allowing Disney to force 20% increases in fees per subscriber every year on the pay TV services (cable, satellite, etc). The masses, somehow, don't think they are paying for these channels. Do you people think you are just paying Comcast/DirecTV/Dish Network and that none of that money has to be paid out to the content providers? For each subscriber that has access to the ESPN networks (whether they ever watch it or not), ESPN is paid up to $3.50 per month. That may sound like a small amount, but it certainly isn't free.

Edited by Tekneek

Proves my point. You can have an opinion, but that doesn't make it 'true'.

Proves my point. If it's an opinion it's neither true nor untrue, yet you continue to label people's opinions as true or false. This isn't the first time you've done this to me, Mike, and I've a feeling it won't be the last.

Gold? From the recaps it was low placements in guard and esp percussion that most decided where they would place.

I'm still of the opinion that had they thrown down for 11½ minutes instead of segmenting their show with inane blathering (again, my opinion), the judges would have been able to give them a better read and rewarded them for it.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

b**bs :worthy: LMAO - nice spot. =)

It's already been pointed out that if the away team is throwing the no-hitter through the eighth, the home team still gets a chance to bat in the bottom of the ninth. The Kingsmen were the "home team".

Garry in Vegas

Which is why serious fans of things like the Olympics try to get coverage from other nations by any means possible. Everything we get, in this nation, is edited down as much as possible. The opinion in the business is that people have extremely short attention spans and are idiots. You've got to bounce around and dumb it down as much as possible.

By the way, you can bet that Disney and other media monoliths love this talk about ESPN2 being free. It is that sort of thing that was allowing Disney to force 20% increases in fees per subscriber every year on the pay TV services (cable, satellite, etc). The masses, somehow, don't think they are paying for these channels. Do you people think you are just paying Comcast/DirecTV/Dish Network and that none of that money has to be paid out to the content providers? For each subscriber that has access to the ESPN networks (whether they ever watch it or not), ESPN is paid up to $3.50 per month. That may sound like a small amount, but it certainly isn't free.

Amen -- CBC makes NBC look like a bad version of the Ricky Lake show when the Olympics are on. I can't wait for NBC to be dumped on its ### by the IOC.

Imagine how many $3.50's that is per month... Wouldn't a la carte cable be better for the consumer! FCC sucks, still.

As for the drum corps point, you're dead on. DCI needs to go after the ratings. Did you know cheerleading was so competitive before ESPN? How about eating contests? The NFL Draft used to be something in the newspaper the next day... You have to get the most eyeballs on it to enter the collective conscience. Once you do that, momentum swings your way.

The funny thing is that I remember RAMD conversations about how ESPN coverage would "legitimize" DCI. Now that we get there, people ##### and say put it on A&E. Unreal. Besides, ESPN2 wants HD programming, and so does DCI. In a year or two, it won't be cost prohibitive, and you will see HD 4 minute bits. =)

But seriously... formats aside, it doesn't get much better when talking about US coverage. Think of all the events that would covet our spot. We're doing it. We're not "just PBS" anymore. The next step is to continue the coverage and become "legit" enough that someone PAYS for our product to be on their station. That's the next step, and if the demographic numbers keep coming back the way they have been, it's a matter of time.