Silly Me

You got me. This was just something I've been noticing in the past few weeks since Finals.

Yeah, I definitely don't think of myself, or anyone I've marched with for the last 7 years, as "kids"... We're all much more disciplined, mature and responsible than all of the non-drum corps people I have to be around at school the rest of the year.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I definitely don't think of myself, or anyone I've marched with for the last 7 years, as "kids"... We're all much more disciplined, mature and responsible than all of the non-drum corps people I have to be around at school the rest of the year.

I did notice that at least 3 of the directors referred to their corps as "kids" during their interviews...

If you think the ESPM format was bad than don't become a serious figure skating fan because they don't show a dozen or more of the people who are competing at the events when they are televised. Hate to tell you malcontents out there but TV is about what catches peoples eyes amd what sells. The drum corps community needs to apy attention to what ESPN is telling us.

1. We are too long and too boring to show everything

2. The human interest aspect is an integral part of the corps experience

The broadcast is not ESPNs charitable gesture for the 11th and 12th place corps to see themselves on TV but a business decsion to market a product they believe they can make money on. When I marched in the stone age only the top 5 corps made it to TV and we saw that as incentive to perform better so we could see ourselves on TV. As a entertainment medium with little to compare ourselves to, we need to decide if we want to expand our audience (which would require changing how we play our game) or just go back to being this odd little subculture. People like Hopkins and Gibbs honestly try to expand and grow the activity which I respect them for as leaders of the activity. Without them, and people like them, the activity would be stuck in 1955.

Its called "progress" folks, and either get on the bus or get left in the past. Your choice.

Amen, Amen, Amen!

Exactly the way we all need to look at this.

Thanks for your insight.

JW

...If you're a big-time, died in the wool, drum corps fan....We already got your soul, we're trying to get new blood...

Wait!

Sounds more like a vampire convention than drum and bugle corps...

The only three-word sentence more irritating than "it's not fair!" is "you owe me!" Pretty much the same attitude either way.

I was pretty happy to see that stuff for free. And now I'll be buying the DVD for all the shows.

I invest my precious TIME to watch something....so it's never "free"...only a minor difference between that and adding injury to insult by charging me money on top of wasting my time.

Then you completely misunderstood what I wrote, Mike. If anything it was pro-Cadet, pro-members. They were an outstanding group of performers. They deserved a better show. They could have won, but they were the victims of George's agenda to change at any cost, to tear the envelope to shreds, to thumb his nose at what the fans want in favor of what George wants.

Their talent and poise still got them a silver medal. It very well could have been gold.

You don't get to determine if my opinion is true or not. You seem to get very dismissive of any opinion that doesn't line up with yours and The Borg's. Take off the reactionary glasses and re-read what

I wrote.

The Cadets members deserved better and shouldn't be handcuffed to an agenda.

And remember, George brought it up.

Garry in Vegas

I think that Tom will take "whatever is cooked" and turn it into the best thing since sliced bread. Tom, is there a Cadets show you DON'T like? I mean, you can be pro-modern, pro-kids, pro- this, that, or the other... That's okay... But can a guy just not like something without you saying basically, "Get over it.... You don't matter..." ??? Just curious....

"Kids" is a relative term. Sure, you don't think you should be called a "kid", but I'm over twice your age and to me and other older adults, you are a "kid". That is not meant to be a negative comment about you, just a descriptive word...nothing more. Heck, I'm 43 and my parents still refer to me and my older siblings as their "kids".

A kid is not necessarily an immature young child. There are plenty of mature, responsible, disciplined, and talented kids out there...yourself included.

So I wish so many people in DCP wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the term "kid" is derogatory or disrespectful, because it is rarely used in that manner. The fact is that most drum corps consist of a majority of teen aged members, and no matter how you slice it, a teenager will more often than not be referred to as a "kid". For all of you 20, 21, and 22 year old members...sorry, but maybe you are labeled as such simply because you participate in an activity where the "kids" dominate.

From where are you sitting? There were way more people in attendance at the Rose Bowl than last year in Madison. More people were in attendance. Also, over the past two seasons, more viewers have watched the ESPN2 broadcast. 2006 was more than 2005. I expect that treend to continue when the numbers are announced this year.

So, there are your hordes. And guess what...they don't include you. So, pick up your ball and go home...or to a different field...another game. Your viewpoint is out of touch with reality. Your refusal to accept reality speaks volumes regarding your mental state. I'm concerned over this angst you feel. It might be better if you just sought out a better outlet. Perhaps some DCA performances. I believe they may be more to your liking.

Thank you, Tom! You said exactly what I was thinking much more eloquently and kindly than I could have mustered! If DCI is so awful, why on earth do these "fans" keep sticking around here to continue wasting their emotion, effort, and valuable time on us poor ill-informed smucks who seem to be able to get through a day or two without being compelled to ##### about something regharding today's drum corps? Please, please - for the sake of you, us, and mankind in general - go find something you do enjoy and put all of your wonderful "positive" energy behind it>

"Kids" is a relative term. Sure, you don't think you should be called a "kid", but I'm over twice your age and to me and other older adults, you are a "kid". That is not meant to be a negative comment about you, just a descriptive word...nothing more. Heck, I'm 43 and my parents still refer to me and my older siblings as their "kids".

A kid is not necessarily an immature young child. There are plenty of mature, responsible, disciplined, and talented kids out there...yourself included.

So I wish so many people in DCP wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the term "kid" is derogatory or disrespectful, because it is rarely used in that manner. The fact is that most drum corps consist of a majority of teen aged members, and no matter how you slice it, a teenager will more often than not be referred to as a "kid". For all of you 20, 21, and 22 year old members...sorry, but maybe you are labeled as such simply because you participate in an activity where the "kids" dominate.

Yeah, I know, I just thought I'd redirect people complaining to something other than the stuff every other thread is always talkin about ad nauseum :)

Yeah, I know, I just thought I'd redirect people complaining to something other than the stuff every other thread is always talkin about ad nauseum :)

Well...you distracted me away from it, so maybe others followed!