DCI Top 12 Watching Party-Experiment!

I need volunteers!

The "DCI on the Deuce" Party thread got me thinking. DCI is looking for a larger audience, right? Next to nobody who sees a DC performance on the tube walks away thinking, "Geez, that was crap--who wants to do marching band all summer?" They sit there slack-jawed saying stuff like, "They're so gooooood!! Wwwwwoooooooooowwwwwww!!!"

I'm a big fan of statistical analysis and all that numbers crap stuff. So how about some volunteers for a little experiment?

I need at least 30 of you willing to host a watching party when Finals videos come out. I'll say finals videos so we can get all 12 finalist's complete performances. Each of you, wherever in the nation you are, host 5-10 of your preferrably non-music, non-corps buddies for an evening of drum corps. This will be a chore, getting them to agree to Chinese water torture for 2-3 hours of corps shows, etc. But here's what we do.

Get them to watch performances without any scoring information (if possible). Get them to rate the corps 1-12. Then give them final scoring results and guage their reactions to placements.

Remember, these should be 5-10 people who don't know drum corps from marching band from beginner band. Real noobs.

We can put together a review sheet for them to fill out for you. Heck, I might even be able to put this together into a nice article for some adventurous publication. And share results with the drum corps and DCI. Could be interesting stuff to see them react to first-time fans' reactions.

I'm open to suggestions and please reply to tell me if you'd be in for hosting one of these. I guess that means I'm focus group #1!

I need volunteers!

The "DCI on the Deuce" Party thread got me thinking. DCI is looking for a larger audience, right? Next to nobody who sees a DC performance on the tube walks away thinking, "Geez, that was crap--who wants to do marching band all summer?" They sit there slack-jawed saying stuff like, "They're so gooooood!! Wwwwwoooooooooowwwwwww!!!"

I'm a big fan of statistical analysis and all that numbers crap stuff. So how about some volunteers for a little experiment?

I need at least 30 of you willing to host a watching party when Finals videos come out. I'll say finals videos so we can get all 12 finalist's complete performances. Each of you, wherever in the nation you are, host 5-10 of your preferrably non-music, non-corps buddies for an evening of drum corps. This will be a chore, getting them to agree to Chinese water torture for 2-3 hours of corps shows, etc. But here's what we do.

Get them to watch performances without any scoring information (if possible). Get them to rate the corps 1-12. Then give them final scoring results and guage their reactions to placements.

Remember, these should be 5-10 people who don't know drum corps from marching band from beginner band. Real noobs.

We can put together a review sheet for them to fill out for you. Heck, I might even be able to put this together into a nice article for some adventurous publication. And share results with the drum corps and DCI. Could be interesting stuff to see them react to first-time fans' reactions.

I'm open to suggestions and please reply to tell me if you'd be in for hosting one of these. I guess that means I'm focus group #1!

hmm...small problem. I dont know anyone not in drum corps :P

Ok...im only slightly kidding. Even my friends that arent into it know where i marched, since it was so recent and they kinda wondered where i went for 3 months at a time. I'll still see what I can do.... :)

sounds like a good excuse for me to get to watch the shows again. sounds like fun.

I'm open to suggestions and please reply to tell me if you'd be in for hosting one of these

perhaps in another thread, you can take suggestions for what questions should be asked. as well, possibly contact DCI asto what they think would be constructive questions.

I'm pretty sure that my wife would rather host a Hooters-catered Sunday brunch than organize a DCI watching party. (Not a big fan) At least we've got Breakfast at Tiffany's. :P ($1 to Deep Blue Something)

One problem is getting this many people to commit for such a long time to something they may not like. A couple of shows, maybe. Twelve, not much of a chance. Top seven from this year may be remotely possible. I love my mother-in-law and she digs me, but there's absolutely no way she would sit don and watch a drum corps DVD. let alone 12 shows back to back. Good luck with your experiment.

Good luck with your experiment.

Can I assume that by "your" not taking this on as "our" that "you're" not going to even try? And is your mother-in-law your only friend? You really need to get out more often. This would be a great opportunity!!

There's nothing that says you can't do this at another friends' house. C'mon, Corey--you live right here in town. I know other people have DVD players hooked up to TV's. Doesn't even have to be on cable, so I can host one!

Bump. Pretty pathetic turnout so far, guys. "The activity is dying, the activity is dying!" I wonder why?

I saw a great quote from George Washington yesterday. Something like, "The problem with our nation is not our government, but the apathy of our populace to educate themselves as they do not give a ####." Pretty strong words.

Applied to the present conversation, 30 people hosting 5 people who are DC noobs. I've got about 3 with 2 "no-way's." Long way to go.

C'mon, Hrothgar--I know you have friends--you showed us their pictures!

The problem with this is that GE will clearly win the day with the non-corps folks you bring in...since the odds they'll know anything about brass, percussion or guard performance and technique are slim at best.

The problem with this is that GE will clearly win the day with the non-corps folks you bring in...since the odds they'll know anything about brass, percussion or guard performance and technique are slim at best.

Well, I think that would be a fair issue for both DCI and individual corps to take into account. Look at the reception that Star 93 and Cadets this year received. Different reasons, yes. But the general effect of each show, in addition to being incredibly well-performed at each juncture in DC history, was "YUCK!" Not my opinion of either, but let's just say that "This...I Believe" was not the only one to receive boos. Heard 'em in 93, too.

Doesn't mean every show needs to be POTO or New World. But if those are the ones that draw the crowds then perhaps Boston and Denver should take note--great opportunity to gain fans, build up steady traditions, utilize already excellent talent pools, and move up slowly while utilizing familiart tunes, etc.

Lots you can do with any particular classical piece. Look at the tunes used in Faust!

If fans prefer certain types of shows, it should be noted. That's what this little experiment is about.

Well, I think that would be a fair issue for both DCI and individual corps to take into account. Look at the reception that Star 93 and Cadets this year received. Different reasons, yes. But the general effect of each show, in addition to being incredibly well-performed at each juncture in DC history, was "YUCK!" Not my opinion of either, but let's just say that "This...I Believe" was not the only one to receive boos. Heard 'em in 93, too.

Actually, The Cadets were tied for first in general effect...and a distant 4th in percussion performance and guard.