Renegades and Star United

The loudest four person mello line ever....................

Thanks Star! And especially for coming out to the rehearsal site and watching Renegades last run through of the day...........

Yes... thank you Star!

You guy's are a class act and are excellent musicians too!

Edited by Big Bad Bari

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That corps from Indiana can really throw down some music.

I would love to see them step outside their box and see what they could do with a jazz number or two.

:)

Great post! I think you captured ying and yang of Minicorps. Exciting in your face, or amazing technical excellence, doesn’t matter because you get it all. Renegades are about connecting with the audience. We were trilled to see the crowd so close to the stage this year where last year they were 20' away. The joy of a DCA crowd is that they have no problem cheering for you if you give them something to cheer about. I found Gil Silva sitting in the front row with a big smile on his face, yeah he became my target! We rocked you and you gave it right back to us. Mission accomplished!

There is no doubt that Star was the best corps of the night, the precision and talent was outstanding! Congratulations, you deserved the victory! The beauty of Minicorps being volunteer judged and in a party atmosphere is that it could easily have been the most exciting corps or the cleanest corps, or something new and different (Crunchy Frog?..maybe not). The one guarantee is that you will have variety and some of the best in your face entertainment of the weekend!

Shout out to my friends in Star, Mass Brass, Mine brass, Dream, Thunderbirds and Ghost Riders. But a special mention to the Golden Eagles who went on 10th to last a moved up the ranks to 3rd. Outstanding! Ponzo, I think we may have dodged a bullet.

Who is the lead trumpet for Star United? Very nice job, the man has obviously put some time into the instrument.

Brian Fredericks - he was in the US Marine D&BC with a guy I marched with in the Bridgemen Alumni, Sean Glennon. Sean had asked me about him and I thought I had played with him at our Alumni function in '04, but had not spoken to him back then. So I introduced myself to him this year. I really enjoyed his playing also.

Great post! I think you captured ying and yang of Minicorps. Exciting in your face, or amazing technical excellence, doesn’t matter because you get it all. Renegades are about connecting with the audience. We were trilled to see the crowd so close to the stage this year where last year they were 20' away. The joy of a DCA crowd is that they have no problem cheering for you if you give them something to cheer about. I found Gil Silva sitting in the front row with a big smile on his face, yeah he became my target! We rocked you and you gave it right back to us. Mission accomplished!

There is no doubt that Star was the best corps of the night, the precision and talent was outstanding! Congratulations, you deserved the victory! The beauty of Minicorps being volunteer judged and in a party atmosphere is that it could easily have been the most exciting corps or the cleanest corps, or something new and different (Crunchy Frog?..maybe not). The one guarantee is that you will have variety and some of the best in your face entertainment of the weekend!

Shout out to my friends in Star, Mass Brass, Mine brass, Dream, Thunderbirds and Ghost Riders. But a special mention to the Golden Eagles who went on 10th to last a moved up the ranks to 3rd. Outstanding! Ponzo, I think we may have dodged a bullet.

WOW.......Doug, thanks alot for mentioning us, and thank you for that complment. We (The Golden Eagles) were very proud of our accomplishments this year, and we are certainly not done. I do believe that the .7 away from Renegades could have been alot closer had we gone on a little later in the competition as well. I told the corps before we went on, "just do the job we know were are capable of, and good things will come to us. Of course I would like to win, but being in the top 3 would definitely make my night". Well, to us, our mission was accomplished, and the crowd reaction we received, as well as the 3 standing "O's" told us exactly how the crowd felt about us.

The Golden Eagles are already in the planning stages of our show for next year, and we all look forward to exciting the crowd once again with a more entertaining show!

The loudest four person mello line ever....................

Thanks Star! And especially for coming out to the rehearsal site and watching Renegades last run through of the day...........

Wow........Don't know what to say except THANKS! It was great to see our peeps in the Renegades and see the run-through. You guys were great. Thanks for having us. We will have to do it again next year.

And to the original poster, great post and thanks! I agree that Minicorps at DCA is both a competition and an exhibition/social event. For some competition drives them to perfect their playing, for others it is all about the reaction of the crowd. Whatever. Good playing and fun results. I hope there is room for everyone and all approaches.

It is extremely flattering to read what people are saying about us. We come to this event confident in our own playing ability, but never sure how the crowd will react to our style and approach. It is great to know that many are entertained and appreciative of this type of book. Thanks to all for coming out and giving us the opportunity to play for you. Thanks to you, I get to hang out with some old (and new) friends, play my butt off, and have more fun then should be legal. Isn't that what it is all supposed to be about?

IMG_1667.jpg

Star United (minus a few). Hitting the road back home again, in Indiana.

:grrr:

I will tell you what I have told people all along abut Star United....

It's all about the breathe dah.

I went up to listen to Star front and center - 2nd row in my original 1985 Star of Indiana member jacket. There was a gentleman that had an empty seat next to him and I asked him if he minded if I took it. Then the poor guy made a comment about "they're all in Blast!" before Star started.

I was pretty nice about pointing out to him that there were FIVE people up there that I marched with in 1985 - two that I aged out with. And I don't think they had anyone from Blast with them this year - maybe a Brass Theater person or two.

Regular people folks, doing what every single one of us does everyday of our lives - breathing. But breathing at the same time with a set technique concerning attacks and releases that everyone is on the same page with.

The Renegades put on a good show too and I really enjoyed MassBrass - I love the charts they do every year - the stuff that made me wanna march drum corps when I was a kid.

I wasn't able to make the trek to Rochacha this year, but in 2006 Star United set the bar very high for the brass and percussion ensembles we call mini-corps. Their level of performance was on par with national level "legit" music competitions. That is something that DCA should be very excited about. And it doesn't matter to me how the members of Star United pay the rent or buy the groceries.

I wasn't able to make the trek to Rochacha this year, but in 2006 Star United set the bar very high for the brass and percussion ensembles we call mini-corps. Their level of performance was on par with national level "legit" music competitions. That is something that DCA should be very excited about. And it doesn't matter to me how the members of Star United pay the rent or buy the groceries.

I had great seats for the shows in 2006 and 2007.

BOTH the Renegades AND Star were much improved this year (IMHO); improved over two pretty great performances in 2006.

Pretty scary how they keep raising the bar.

Golden Eagles I missed (must have also been great tho).

I did see: Erie, Minne Brass, Ghost Riders, Mass Brass and SoCal- all top shelf performances! Truly..., all examples that MCA and DCA could boast about - anywhere.

:grrr:

Edited by brassomaniac

I remember in 06 when I heard SU was coming out, I practically BEGGED for "Praise Ye" from the 1990 show to be the opener...pretty sure I had the BIGGEST stupid grin on my face when it WAS!

Remember thinking that 'Gades's mini show was actually better musically than the field production...again, big smile when I realized they'd taken one fo teh mini charts and put it into the 07 field show!

Saw YouTubes of both.....hard to choose between them....both stellar in their own way.

I WILL say, however, that if Star United every decided to field a corps....watch out!