Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

Yes and no, but you should stop by Tanglewood, EMF, or some of these conservatory prep schools some time, there are plenty of talent 21 and unders. I don't see why that's so hard to soak in.

It's not. A young man a year younger than I (so now a freshman in college) is quite possibly the best trumpet player in the state of Alabama, maybe the southeast. The only reason he is not sitting in the principle chair in the UA Wind Ensemble is because he's a freshman (and the graduate trumpet player isn't shabby, either).

But he has no desire to do drum corps. I think you'll find a lot of kids that think the same.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could go the way of Rockin' the Suburbs and record all the parts yourself....

Can't say I've ever really played a drum set before... first time for everything... hope my neighbors will forgive me. :P

It's not. A young man a year younger than I (so now a freshman in college) is quite possibly the best trumpet player in the state of Alabama, maybe the southeast. The only reason he is not sitting in the principle chair in the UA Wind Ensemble is because he's a freshman (and the graduate trumpet player isn't shabby, either).

But he has no desire to do drum corps. I think you'll find a lot of kids that think the same.

Nor should he do drum corps, it fudges up your playing big time

That's what the synthesizer is for :P

Nor should he do drum corps, it fudges up your playing big time

That's what the synthesizer is for :P

Zing. :whistle:

So, when I marched way back when, was I stifled creatively? Was I held down by the man, left with only my crappy brass and percussion? If only I had known the liberation that narration would have offered me, as an artist, how free I would have felt. I couldn't even have imagined how woodwinds and synthesizers could have lifted my soul. Little did I know the prison I lived in...Again, barf.

That's the whole thing...this whole "balance" thing seems to have accelerated as of late and made things...unbalanced.

I know what you're saying. I think limitations and rules and such make for more creative decisions than if the solutions to problems are just there on a silver platter.

Only one valve? Well, let's arrange a piece we can play using just that valve! Etc.

By allowing woodwinds and electronics, yes it gives the designers a wider pallet, yes it involves more students with broader musical background to take part in the activity...

But when/if it's allowed, some people have been saying "if the designers don't want to use it, they don't have to." Well, yes true... But it seems to me that if corps don't take advantage of new rules that are passed, they can't be nearly as competitive for top placement until they do take advantage of those rules. (such as switching to Bb, and using amplification).

Can't say I've ever really played a drum set before... first time for everything... hope my neighbors will forgive me. :P

Well they do make drum machines you know...maybe once they get passed in drum corps you can play around with your corps' machine during off-time... B)

I think you and Einstein (and others) will enjoy this:

Pitchfork Gives Music 6.8

"CHICAGO—Music, a mode of creative expression consisting of sound and silence expressed through time, was given a 6.8 out of 10 rating in an review published Monday on Pitchfork Media, a well-known music-criticism website." (follow the link for more)

Edited by mistofflies

Narration is not the only way that vocals can be amped and included in shows, and yes a cappella vocals is one very effective way to incorporate voice. But if you re-read my post you'll see that I'm making a general statement to most of the opponents of vocals and electronics...I expanded from narration to vocals because most of the contention against amplified voice stems from opposition to narration specifically, and many people fail to consider that it can be used in a multitude of ways beyond just narration. I've been in this argument before on DCP, and I'm simply laying some groundwork so that I can express my views as articulately as possible. I'm sorry if you have a problem with that.

The ironic part is that you are making your own assumptions that "we're all in for some very long summers." There are plenty of us out here who will enjoy it just fine.

As far as why we should start messing with a formula that works? Well, we could have just left drum corps the way it was back in the 1930s...I mean, it worked back then, right?

Yeah really, to those of you who think we can just KEEP drum corps the way it is, YOU will be the ones who would be "in for some very long summers" of not having any drum corps. If the activity does not evolve with the times and with its target audience: (ie- band kids who they want to participate) we lose everything, period. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

No, who's on first.

What's on second.

I don't know. Oh wait, he's on third...