Crown vs. Bluecoats in ‘07

glory

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might as well have tied -_-

Both corps were clearly the only two in the running for the Spirit of Disney, I think Crown's was just a little more family friendly.

It was kind of a joke that stripping on the 50 kind of eliminated us from the running. :P

Well worth it i'd say. B)

Wait a minute. What happened?

Wherever I went in the Rose Bowl, people greeted me with "Don't you love Crown's show" or similar such praise. I heard the same in Allentown. Not one person - not one - likewise struck up a conversation during the summer or since with "How about them Coats?" And no, I didn't wear my Crown shirt at any event this summer.

Now I'm to believe everyone secretly was loving the Bluecoats and posing on Crown? Or is this just another one of those DCP threads where everyone talks about the other thing - you know, the question you didn't ask?

HH

Really to me Crowns crowd reaction has all to do with there wonderful sound. There is NO OTHER drum corps that is more pleasing to the ears. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite corps.

Bluecoats are amazing. They dont have the sound that Crown does, but they play there music better and have a much more demanding book. Bloos drumline is ridiculiously talented. Only thing I wish Bloo would have done differently is not change the brass arraingment of "Hummingbrd" after about Allentown. That song was so cool, but lost some of its lustre in the end.

Id pick Bluecoats over Crown for 06 and in my eyes the only place Crown was better is guard and overall brass sound. Bloo was better in every other part of there show.

Edited by BlueByYou2000

Well, having spent the summer with the Bluecoats, I'm decidedly biased towards our show. I listened to Crown's a little bit earlier from the finals CD. The music makes sense with the show, I just still haven't seen the whole thing. So, I'll never really know, since I couldn't be in the stands to watch it. I just imagine people were drawn to the show for various reasons. They had horses, what American doesn't like horses? The played the william tell bit. Everyone has heard that, and can recognize it. Basically, the show was full of things most people are familiar with, and enjoy. That's pretty hard not to like. Our show had things people are familiar with, but they all had negative connotations. Goes with the territory of Criminal, though, I would imagine. Plus, our show had ONE major chord in it. People are more comfortable with major harmonies, instead of minor ones. The list can go on about simple things that people feel, and that could be why. Then, the simplest answer of all could just be that they had a fantastic show concept.

Well, having competed against the Bluecoats all summer as a member of the other corps that this thread is about....I can say that we knew the Bluecoats were just really good....they are incredibly talented, and their hornline and percussion sections for sure are fantastic. I completely have an amazing amount of respect for that corps, and definitely respect what they did this past year. Both corps had incredible summers, and I really believe both of those shows will go down in history as some of the most unique and fun shows to perform.

So, last season was my first when it comes to DC, but here are my opinions: I liked both shows when i saw them in Allentown. Yes, they were dirty, but i loved the design of both and the unique energy each had. Earlier I had been told by a friend to expect changes in both shows as the season wore on. I have to say that the most obvious changes in both corps. did not meet my expectations. When I heard that Crown was adding a little narration I was okay with it. I thought it could have used some during the closing, (esp. the photo finish) When I saw it however, I thought they had gone way too far. I felt that I was being "talked to" rather then observing a wonderful performance. With Bluecoats, the most obvious changes were those to the color guard. And while i have no reason for this but personal taste, the squad let them down. Specifically, I cringed at the "laser beams" the CG had to work their way through. It just looked sloppy and rushed to me. With all this being said, please do not think that I did not enjoy both shows thoroughly. Bluecoats will always have the best sound in my book. As for Crown, what can I say except that they were the number one crowd pleasers this season. (design wise they rocked the field)