Quick, I've got a Suncoast Sound question

t-mac

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suncoast Sound did the "most controversial show ever" for the time. The entire show was a mishmash of the era of Vietnam, mostly from the protestors view. It was a REALLY awesome show and they did it quite well. They included the wall as a part of their performance. I marched Sky that year and our tours were identical, so I got to see this one many times and loved it every time. Now my thoughts on this may be a little age worn, but I think it is a generally accurate description. Here is the actual, Drum Corps World synopsis from their paper...date unknown. " Suncoast Sound performs a show based on the Vietnam war era. They formed a bomb and acted out protests; cops chased the protestors. There were graves and representation of the Vietnam War Memorial. It is a very good corps of exceptional skills, but one wonders if death and dying are apropriate themes for a youth organization." Author of the article was Al Karls. My message to Al: You were writing about the shows and their scores, why the need to throw your own thoughts about the need to choose this as a show design? It was their choice and they kicked @$s with it. They scored a 91.70 for their efforts and it was well worth seeing. Get the legacy, mine is almost worn out....... :blink:

Suncoast Sound did the "most controversial show ever" for the time. The entire show was a mishmash of the era of Vietnam, mostly from the protestors view. It was a REALLY awesome show and they did it quite well. They included the wall as a part of their performance. I marched Sky that year and our tours were identical, so I got to see this one many times and loved it every time. Now my thoughts on this may be a little age worn, but I think it is a generally accurate description. Here is the actual, Drum Corps World synopsis from their paper...date unknown. " Suncoast Sound performs a show based on the Vietnam war era. They formed a bomb and acted out protests; cops chased the protestors. There were graves and representation of the Vietnam War Memorial. It is a very good corps of exceptional skills, but one wonders if death and dying are apropriate themes for a youth organization." Author of the article was Al Karls. My message to Al: You were writing about the shows and their scores, why the need to throw your own thoughts about the need to choose this as a show design? It was their choice and they kicked @$s with it. They scored a 91.70 for their efforts and it was well worth seeing. Get the legacy, mine is almost worn out....... :blink:

Hell....the waving flag drill at the end ALONE was worth the price of admission!!! And who ever thought you could combine "America the Beautiful" with "I Can't Get no Satisfaction" and have it be effective?? Friggin' brilliant, and a taste of what was to come with teh 85 show...STILL my all time fave Suncoast show.

#### do I miss those guys1

I just watched a clip on that site that sounds like "too yoube" and actually found myself tearing up at the end. Very cool show. I thought one of the coolest things is that right after they make the "bomb" come to the fifty, they morph it into a mushroom cloud. Very innovative for that time.

Also, each corps member wore the name of actual MIA soldiers during the show. I know I'm a homer, but the end of "Requiem" is the most emotional moment ever in DCI in my opinion.