Phantom Regiment hires new drill designer

And I'm sure someone's going to take this the wrong way and think that i'm trying to say cavalier's imperfections are hidden , therefore = higher visual scores. But that's not what I'm saying. Hope nobody thinks that ....

On occasion (like this year) I might agree with you, but no, generally their higher visual scores are more than earned.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Alll...

New here.... Been visiting DCP for a couple of years now and felt it's time to chime in. Some great contributors to this website. I feel honored to be a part of such a great group of folks!

I think the Regiment has been heading in the right direction for the last four years...as an alum I'm really pleased with their product! Bringing on a new drill designer is a big step but knowing the organization...it's a calculated one B) . 2007 was your best effort to date Regiment! Here's to even more success in the years to come. A big thank you to Jamey for all of your incredible work!

:rock:

As I have stated, this is all subjective. New designer, old designer, none of this matters if they are not given the freedom to produce a visual program without interference (yes, interference) from individuals that want to reign in creativity. (Visually speaking) This guy could be a combination Zingalli, Brubaker, et, al, and his talents would be wasted here if he is not given the opportunity to produce HIS VISION. Now, that said, if his vision is nothing more than what we're already getting, why the change?

RM - :wall:

ampssuck

So...Rocketman, you're saying Jamey wasn't given "creative license" during his tenure at Regiment? You ask: Why change? Jamey chose to pursue a life outside of competitive drum corps. Regiment had to replace him. Why not give Nick the opportunity to make a name for himself? I'm sure the creative staff will work closely with Nick to point the Regiment's visual program in a new direction. Time will bear this out my friend.....Sincerely, Plock.

So...Rocketman, you're saying Jamey wasn't given "creative license" during his tenure at Regiment? You ask: Why change? Jamey chose to pursue a life outside of competitive drum corps. Regiment had to replace him. Why not give Nick the opportunity to make a name for himself? I'm sure the creative staff will work closely with Nick to point the Regiment's visual program in a new direction. Time will bear this out my friend.....Sincerely, Plock.

Plockster/grandma:

Obviously, there is no "first hand knowledge" of "license" any visual instructor with the Regiment is given. However, based on the product "on the field" while good, doesn't rise to the level of Cadets or Cavaliers in terms of the aforementioned "wow" moments. For now, this is a visually driven activity, if it weren't, the Regiment most certainly would have won at least once in the last 3-4 years.

While I would like to believe the creative staff will point Nick in a "new direction," it appears to this viewer that this has not been the case in the past. I hope they prove me wrong. As a "phanatic, I am a little more than tired of the championship going to one of three corps for what seems like a generation. However, that said, I do not want to compromise music for motion, then it would be going too far the other way. Surely (Don't call me Shirley) they can maintain musical integrity AND give us a visual program that would knock our socks off ala Star 90-91.

RM - Ya know I love ya

ampssuck

I guess I beg to differ on your point about Regiment's drill over the last few years. 2005 and 2006 had drills that complimented what the corps played beautifully. 2007 was no exception. The whole flocking idea was a breath of fresh air. To me it's more substance than flash or "wow" as you call it.

As for Nick taking the design in a new direction, we'll see. Just look what JD has done for the corps in the past few years............:beer::beer::worthy:

I guess I beg to differ on your point about Regiment's drill over the last few years. 2005 and 2006 had drills that complimented what the corps played beautifully. 2007 was no exception. The whole flocking idea was a breath of fresh air. To me it's more substance than flash or "wow" as you call it.

As for Nick taking the design in a new direction, we'll see. Just look what JD has done for the corps in the past few years............:rolleyes::drool::drool:

I have no problems with brass. So we agree there. I have also stated that visually, the drill has complemented the music. However, so did the drill for the other corps mentioned. They appear however to be on another level, visually speaking. As far as "flocking," to me, it seemed like an easy way to get from one set to another without those nasty transition issues. It would appear the judging community didn't either "get it," or also felt it to not be effective. It would have been great if a visual judge had said, "I get it, a flying flock, BRILLIANT!"

RM - Come fly away

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

It's late and I'm tired of reading this flocking thread.

Well Rocketman...

I respect your opinion as that of a drum corps fan and as a fellow alum. Sorry you didn't care for what the corps did visually this year....but to each his own. I found it a nice break from the "visual rehashes" I saw this year. I remember long ago....in a galaxy far, far away when "scatter drill" was the hottest thing in drum corps. To me the "flocking" essentially was a new spin on the scatter drill. Both moves pretty much accomplished the same thing. b**bs But I digress............

I look forward to seeing what Nick and the rest of the visual staff at Regiment produce for the 2008 season.

Best of luck staff and members alike.

SUTA, over and out.

Plockster