Phantom Regiment hires new drill designer

The good thing about a young drill designer is that he can grow into the gig by working with the current design team...he may be easier to work with for them, and be more, um, malleable in terms of his view of drill and how it will work with the other design elements.

I think this'll be OK. I have a good feeling about it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikk: I am interested in your comments in light of the information I've understood about all PRs programs becoming more "dollar neutral." I believe the new drumline and the winter guard and other weekend events Regiment is hosting are expected to be dollar neutral as well.

I believe that Jamey was most likely earning more per year with Regiment than Nick will be getting in his first year and if I am correct, this may be more about helping offset costs than anything else. Again, pure conjecture on my part, but in any business, it's either bring more money in, go further in debt, or cut costs.

Perhaps this works out well for everybody and yes, the product coming out of the gate in late June will be the measure of how well this move works out. However, I never got the sense that having a PR pedigree was all that important to being hired on in recent years. Techs perhaps, but not in key design areas.

If I somehow gave the impression that I have inside knowledge regarding what you are terming "dollar neutral" hires, I apologize. I don't have any insider information, nor any connection to the Regiment other than being an alumnus. I was simply commenting on the hire from the perspective of someone outside of the organization.

I wonder what prompted the change? The past two years have, IMO, been there best work since the 96' season.

This says, in a nutshell, what's wrong with DCI as a league. You have to prove yourself in lower-placing corps? They won't score as high if he doesn't have a pedigree?

Let's just judge the result. The "who" needs to matter a whole lot less in this activity. I understand what you're saying; Regiment is taking "a chance". But the reality is that this points to reputation-based judging concerns. That's the scurge of this activity in my eyes...

No...in a "nuttshell" I was saying that there are plenty of people WITH proven experience and accolades...WHY is Regiment taking the chance with someone who isn't a proven top designer if they dont have to?

I'm not pointing towards reputation-based judging concerns....though I think it exists....(there are lots of "consultants" nowadays)....I'm pointing toward reputation based, proven results...that's all.

And trust me...I, more than anyone would LOVE for Nick to work out. Michael Gaines had to get his start somewhere too right?

No...in a "nuttshell" I was saying that there are plenty of people WITH proven experience and accolades...WHY is Regiment taking the chance with someone who isn't a proven top designer if they dont have to?

I'm not pointing towards reputation-based judging concerns....though I think it exists....(there are lots of "consultants" nowadays)....I'm pointing toward reputation based, proven results...that's all.

And trust me...I, more than anyone would LOVE for Nick to work out. Michael Gaines had to get his start somewhere too right?

Let's all remember, Michael Gaines' first drill writing experience with a drum corps was a portion of the 1992 Cavaliers show, and that turned out pretty good!

I wish this gentlemen the best of luck. I'm his age and I can't imagine getting a chance with a top 4 DCI corps at this age, let alone any age! It's great to see new names out there. Good luck!

Edited by izzyd

This says, in a nutshell, what's wrong with DCI as a league. You have to prove yourself in lower-placing corps? They won't score as high if he doesn't have a pedigree?

Let's just judge the result. The "who" needs to matter a whole lot less in this activity. I understand what you're saying; Regiment is taking "a chance". But the reality is that this points to reputation-based judging concerns. That's the scurge of this activity in my eyes...

It's no different than how almost any other "league" works. There are VERY few players in any sport who go right into the major leagues. If they do, they are either on the bench a lot until they prove themselves or have already proven themselves in the high school or college team they were in.

In addition, I don't think it's a question of reputation but more a testiment to the need to be rung through the wringer a few times to know how the system works. If you haven't designed for a top corps before, you are going to need to develop skills that cannot be gotten elsewhere. You have to learn how to listen to the judges (and fan reactions) and make the right decisions on what to change. You have to be able to make changes on the fly (all throughout tour). You need to be able to add the little nuances that bring your visual to box 5 (or at least a high 4). You need to learn how to work with the larger design team and how to interact with the judges so you strike the balance of listening to them but not overreacting to everything each one of them says.

In other words, there's a LOT of on-the-job training that is needed to perform at the top level and you typically need to develop that in the lower level corps, if not a long history in one of the top high school or college bands.

But until they bring their visual demand up to the level of their musical demand, they are, at best, a top 5 corps that once every 50 years might sniff 2nd or 3rd, and that’s usually because of “off” years by other corps.

Slight modification - Regiment has the 'demand! Where the corps comes up short is in the visual GE department. Watch the 07 show and tell me that there wasn't enough demand there. The music is glorious year in and year out, but the visual never quite seems to match it in terms of 'wow' moments.

Oh yeah, and if you read the release it says he will be working very closely with Tony Hall. I admit, learning Tony Hall drill is painstaking and miserable - however, it is sure fun to watch!

Edited by raphael18

Slight modification - Regiment has the 'demand! Where the corps comes up short is in the visual GE department. Watch the 07 show and tell me that there wasn't enough demand there. The music is glorious year in and year out, but the visual never quite seems to match it in terms of 'wow' moments.

Demand, for the sake of demand without the "wow," is meaningless. (Obviously). No inside information here either but, I believe that the visual designers have not been given free reign to do the type of visuals that would create those "wows." Kind of like, "um, sorry, no, we won't be doing that," probably coming from the PC and possibly the brass staff. While I admire the organizations loyalty, it might be time for a change.

RM - PR = :rolleyes::huh::doh::doh:

ampssuck

I thought the drill the last three years has been the most solid at PR in years (say, since 93-94).

Bless you, Kevin! (94) Although we didn't move THIS much!

Looking forward to the great State of Oklahoma passing through Denton next weekend on the way to the Cotton Bowl! TXDOT is implementing a traffic flow plan of mine on I35E--right after Oklahoma returns home...better luck next year on smooth sailing!

I just hate the feeling that drill designer at PR is a position that is becoming like the head coach at Notre Dame or Alabama.

Good analogy--real good! And what have we all seen at those two programs in the last 5 years??

Gut feeling is the same I had before 98--"they're doing what?" Prove me wrong--I know nothing.

Tony Hall

And why don't they pull Tony back in? No option: "Tony, the BOD has voted, and you are the man." Dunno--just seems to me that you need someone with Tony's experience otherwise you're risking a big drop. On the other hand, if they take a step back from Jamey's insanely marching-intensive drill (good but perhaps too much marching) it can work.

And please, please, please...coming from an alum, not a hater...do something NEW! Crab in 93 was cool. Crab/360/wedge with the kick thing in 2008 will be...umm...cliche. If this guy comes out at San Antonio with something just totally cool/new I will name my first-born after him, ugly a thought as that might be.