Phantom Regiment hires new drill designer

well at least somebody got it. some say that this year was an "off" yeah for the cavaliers... they averaged 5th or 6th in all the music captions and i don't see anybody scrambling for a music staff.

my point is, just because a corps has an off year doesn't give everybody the green light to critique everything that went wrong. one year doesn't mean much in a corps that's been around for 50 or 60 more. staff members and caption heads would be more transient and none of the kids would learn anything if that were the case. if you were to look at it from a perspective of a few years, phantom regiment has had one of the best visual packages in its history and coincidentally it was while under the direction of mr. jamey thompson.

also, this is taking into account none of the totally accurate dci judging panels... /sarcasm off.

i personally am sad to see jamey go, i think some of his ideas were just too much for dci to handle right now... phantom regiment hasn't been afraid to try something different, and although they may have paid a competitive price for it, they are growing and learning more than anybody else did this past year.

A point well made. Look how Cadets have been crucified by numerous posters because of things they've done to move the activity forward. I know....define forward. Please let's not start one of THOSE threads again.

One man's progress is another man's pain. Jamey and the staff decided to bring something fresh to the field and the judging community didn't share their vision I guess. This year's visual scores will not discourage them from future innovation. How do you think they've been a DCI finalist for this many years?Certainly not by copying everyone else.

I'm genuinely excited for the drum corps community this coming season. I think we will see an even greater level of accomplishment and professionalism...thanks to the few corps out there that are willing to stick their creative necks out.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A point well made. Look how Cadets have been crucified by numerous posters because of things they've done to move the activity forward. I know....define forward. Please let's not start one of THOSE threads again.

One man's progress is another man's pain. Jamey and the staff decided to bring something fresh to the field and the judging community didn't share their vision I guess. This year's visual scores will not discourage them from future innovation. How do you think they've been a DCI finalist for this many years?Certainly not by copying everyone else.

I'm genuinely excited for the drum corps community this coming season. I think we will see an even greater level of accomplishment and professionalism...thanks to the few corps out there that are willing to stick their creative necks out.

But last year with Thompson at the helm was schizophrenic to say the least. Big tuba players flapping like birds. There were great moments...don't get me wrong...but the whole visual program was kind of a mish mash and then....when it doubt, we dig through the Phantom Regiment Bag of Visual Cheese and WAH LAH! A flying 360 wedge with a kick out leg at the end. See the schizophenia? That didn't smack me as how Mr. Thompson originally envisioned the end of that show. So, either it was without a strong finish and a new, innovative original ending wasn't happening, or it was rejected by others.

But that ending DID NOT go with the rest of that visual program. It was a left turn at the end...unexpected and not in a good way.

But last year with Thompson at the helm was schizophrenic to say the least. Big tuba players flapping like birds. There were great moments...don't get me wrong...but the whole visual program was kind of a mish mash and then....when it doubt, we dig through the Phantom Regiment Bag of Visual Cheese and WAH LAH! A flying 360 wedge with a kick out leg at the end. See the schizophenia? That didn't smack me as how Mr. Thompson originally envisioned the end of that show. So, either it was without a strong finish and a new, innovative original ending wasn't happening, or it was rejected by others.

But that ending DID NOT go with the rest of that visual program. It was a left turn at the end...unexpected and not in a good way.

Why is it a "bag of visual cheese" when Regiment pulls out one of their signature moves?????...but its nostalgia when the Cadets do their "Z"-pull, the Cavaliers do their Diamond Cutter or Brubaker Squares....Madison does the Fleur-de-lis...etc.....

Why is it a "bag of visual cheese" when Regiment pulls out one of their signature moves?????...but its nostalgia when the Cadets do their "Z"-pull, the Cavaliers do their Diamond Cutter or Brubaker Squares....Madison does the Fleur-de-lis...etc.....

I think each one of those moves (if not used in a "nostalgia salute type" show) are tired.

But, admit it...that move did not even come close to relating to the rest of the visual program.

I think each one of those moves (if not used in a "nostalgia salute type" show) are tired.

But, admit it...that move did not even come close to relating to the rest of the visual program.

I agree and complained that there where no real changes from the first view of the show. Most changes were (IMO) cosmetic.

I think the direction they are heading is the right direction but it was time for someone else to take the next step.

The fact is, Rocketman...Euphononium was making a point that Regiment's visual wasn't as lackluster over the past couple of years as you're making it out to be. Get our drift???? :laugh::doh:

I do wish I could agree. But what I have said is, their visual program, regardless of how well they execute it or how well it complements the music, has not produced many visual "wow" moments. It has been visual for the sake of visual because they had to do something. When your biggest crowd reaction is for the "cheese" referred to earlier, well, that pretty much tells the tale of your program.

I also believe that their decision to promote music in what is currently a visual driven activity, could be what has held them back. That said, I wouldn't want them to change musically, I just want the visual "moments" to be on par with the musical moments. '06, was AWESOME, and like '96, for once the judges got caught up in the emotion of the show. Unfortunately this is a rarity in the judging community. DCI is not the NFL where "on any given night" any corps could beat another. Pretty much after June, it seems the slottting process has begun. If you're still putting your show together into August, that won't bode well for you come DCI.

RM - flame away

ampssuck