Are french horns dead to drum corps?

How many corps actually use french horns anymore? I don't know, but the mellophone seems to be the weapon of choice.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many corps actually use french horns anymore? I don't know, but the mellophone seems to be the weapon of choice.

No junior corps, it seems, in quite a while. Early 00's-era SCV claimed to march french horns, but those were different animals than the old french horn bugles.

Ironically enough, I think the biggest market these days for marching frenchies is marching bands. Mellophones aren't nearly as common, though they are in wide use.

The Frenchie -- in marching or concert form -- is notoriously difficult to play....very sensitive to changes between partials. Bad enough if you;re sitting down or standing still...but on the move it's even worse.

Listen to the FH soloist in 87 VK around the middle of the show, before Dave Meade's bari solo and dance act....you can hear the horn trying to shift pitches as the player does his job.

Mellos produce a basically similar sound, and are much more stable...plus the mouthpiece isn;t like playing on the receiver!

Spoken like a true trumpet player, Sam.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

It is a matter of taste (in my opinion), combined with a bit of fear on the part of horn staffers. The sound of Trumpet, Mello, Bari, Euph and Tuba (or the 'G' equivalents) has become the standard mix. No reason there shouldn't be Flugels or French Horns, other than no one is writing for them.

Yes, it is a bit harder to play and march with a French Horn. But it is not the daunting and impossible task that many make it out to be. But it sounds great.

French Horns are not used - they are not dead. All it will take is a brave brass staff in one of the top corps.

Lots more discussion in this thread.

In the KAC, there was an ongoing (friendly) battle between the Frenchies (Freedom Hons) and Mello's. We marched 18 Frenchies! PR's including some of the older l o n g frenchies, to the newer 3 valves with trumpet looking mouth piece. Then again, we weren't jazz running at 200bpm either.

RM - Mid voices rule

ampssuck

It is a matter of taste (in my opinion), combined with a bit of fear on the part of horn staffers. The sound of Trumpet, Mello, Bari, Euph and Tuba (or the 'G' equivalents) has become the standard mix. No reason there shouldn't be Flugels or French Horns, other than no one is writing for them.

Yes, it is a bit harder to play and march with a French Horn. But it is not the daunting and impossible task that many make it out to be. But it sounds great.

French Horns are not used - they are not dead. All it will take is a brave brass staff in one of the top corps.

Lots more discussion in this thread.

At least back in my day (early 80s) if you played one you could play the other, maybe not quite as well.

In '89 Cadet's tried to have the lead Mello's play French for part of the show (I think it might have been Bring Him Home), but we didn't have enough pitch control (and I think volume was lacking) once we moved it on the field, so we just stayed on Mello.

Peace,

Cathie

I give props to anyone who can march and play well on a french horn, ESPECIALLY with the demand of today's drill. In my experience, it was MUCH more difficult. They do sound great, but I think the difficulty and the lack of volume keeps them off the field.

Soprano, please....I haven't played a Bb in years!

Hoe many Frenchies have Renegades averaged for teh last few years?? You guys are the only ones off teh top of my head that I know use them on a regular basis.