Time to change class names, too?

So... DCI has changes "Div I" to "World Class" and " Div II/III" to "Open Class". Currently, DCA has "Open Class" as the upper echelon and "Class A" as for the smaller, "lower" class corps. How long will it take for DCA to change the names of the classes, and what will the new names be? Think about this: When comparing DCA and DCI, the parallels often made were DCA Open was equivalent to DCI Div I, and DCA A was equivalent to DCI Div II/III (from a ranking/ organization angle, that it). How will that comparison work now? "DCA Open Class is the All-Age equivalent to DCI's World Class, but the DCA Class A is the All-Age equivalent to DCI's Open Class." I can see the drum corps novice response... "Why isn't 'Open' equal to 'Open'?"

I know, there's a whole bunch of apples and oranges comments to be made here. But we're in an era where a lot of people are concerned about the "image" of drum corps in society as a whole. With this renaming of DCI's divisions, it stands to reason that people would see the upper level of DCA is no better in quality than the "lower" level in DCI. We're also in an age where DCA corps compete in DCI shows on DCA sheets in the "All-Age Division", and a renaming of the DCA classes could provide some further continuity for the corps that spend a fair amount of time switching between circuits by having class names that can be carried over to the DCI shows.

So, should there be a change? If so, what to? "DCA World" and "DCA Open", or "All-Age Open" and "All-Age A"? Something else? No change at all?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... DCI has changes "Div I" to "World Class" and " Div II/III" to "Open Class". Currently, DCA has "Open Class" as the upper

So, should there be a change? If so, what to? "DCA World" and "DCA Open", or "All-Age Open" and "All-Age A"? Something else? No change at all?

I say "screw DCI"! ^0^

In the 70's open class was the top "tier". Why should DCA conform to anything DCI? IMO, DCA is doing an admirable job at having it's own identity. Lead or be led!

How about:

Class A35 (formerly minicorps) 1-35 members

Class A65 (current Class A) 35-65 members

Class A95 (new class) 65-95 members

Class Open (current open) 95-135 members

With three finalists and voters from each. (although I think everyone should have a vote)

Or maybe minicorps as is, and 6 finalists/voters for open class. I guess to be fair, the percentage of finalists in each class should be proportional to their percentage relative to the total number of corps. With any rounding/fudging of numbers to favor the larger class.

I say "screw DCI"! ^0^

In the 70's open class was the top "tier". Why should DCA conform to anything DCI? IMO, DCA is doing an admirable job at having it's own identity. Lead or be led!

You bet!!! :doh:

Let DCI do what ever they want to,,, DCA must stand firm. Its roots and commitment to Drum & Bugle Corps must not be lost.

BTW,,,DCI will never get another dime from me!

*IMHO

*This disclaimer has been added to my statement by my legal staff. Any statement made by me or anyone resembling me cannot be misconstrued as a direct or indirect comment that could be considered a personal attack on the first or second part of the third parts is parts.

Edited by WayBackBuc

I vote for no change at all. In this case, none needed, IMO.

Or maybe "Super Sensational, Inter-Galactic, Un-Freakin'-Believable, Worth The Price Of Admission, I Mean Stop Whatever You're Doing And Take A Look At These Guys Class" for corps that qualify. :P

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Let DCI do what ever they want to,,, DCA must stand firm. Its roots and commitment to Drum & Bugle Corps must not be lost.

BTW,,,DCI will never get another dime from me!

yeah! Nevermind if it doesn't make any sense! Logic be ###### in the name of tradition!

How about:

With three finalists and voters from each. (although I think everyone should have a vote)

Or maybe minicorps as is, and 6 finalists/voters for open class. I guess to be fair, the percentage of finalists in each class should be proportional to their percentage relative to the total number of corps. With any rounding/fudging of numbers to favor the larger class.

Those darn larger corps, they're just out there to put you down. That is, of course, until the day you find yourself in one. Ya know, they all secretly get together in smoke-filled rooms with secret handshakes and plan your demise! It's just like in the movies!

How about:

sounds like tax forms with all the letters and numbers :doh:

So... DCI has changes "Div I" to "World Class" and " Div II/III" to "Open Class".

Really? I didn't even know. I wonder what is so "world" about the DCI div 1, it always looked pretty American to me. :doh:

With the Inspires and the Grenadiers competing in the DCA open class, I find it more "world" class than DCI div 1 will ever be.

Maybe I am just misinterpreting the whole concept... I do that, sometimes... :doh:

b**bs

Here, here!