No Love for JAZZ ?

You could play a score with perfect technique and technical expertise, but if there's no soul, no passion, no emotion driving it, it's simply good music. *golf clap*

There in lay my point. B)

That corps would never win. But what a show they would have!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Spirit could pull of an all Jazz show, and I would "Love It"! :worthy: b**bs b**bs b**bs :doh:

Ok... so.

1. Jazz is very difficult to clean - the articulations, the nuance makes it harder for 64 people to pull off well, and it's also hard to teach unless you really know jazz. I think that's reason one that corps don't do jazz anymore.

2. Really technical sections are ####### hard to perform while moving at today's pace. Someone said that it'd be cool to see technical passages while doing "Cavies kaleidoscope" drill. Agreed. It'd also be insanely difficult, and probably not very clean.

3. Cleaning up jazz doesn't make it lose passion or edge. There's nothing more impressive than a soli section (especially saxes) where the players are in the pocket, grooving with the same articulation and expression. And it's good because it's clean.... Clean does not equal bad in jazz. I think where this argument comes in in drum corps today is that when many corps "clean" jazz they do so at the expense of watering articulations and expressiveness. That's when jazz loses its passion - when you water the articulations. Not when it's played cleanly.

Simply put, I just don't think hornlines today could play ripping solis and other jazz stuff while running around the field at a 4 to 5. Playing jazz well while sitting down (or standing up) is hard enough. Doing it while running is hard. I know. I played a Duke Ellington show in 06 where we were swinging at 180 and running around the field. It's hard to get that feel when you're busy trying not to look like ####/have your feet coming through your sound.

I don't know. It sucks. I like jazz. I like drum corps. But for now I think we'll have to accept that jazz isn't going to be played as much in the future as it was in the past. I still have all my jazz on the computer, and still have all the old BD and Madison shows. If I want jazz, I'll listen to it (btw, thanks to the person that mentioned Terry Kath... I just started listening to some old Chicago now that you reminded me).

So what are they going to be this year?? East Coast Classical?

I am lov'n you guys!

No one has gone off on an attack rant ....way cool. B)

So what are they going to be this year?? East Coast Classical?

No, I'm sure they'll play jazz. I won't be there, but they'll play jazz.

Fact is, '06 was really the first show that dealt with D1-level visual demand. Not that the other visual packages weren't great or hard, the tempos were just relatively slow (which is another issue altogether with modern drum corps)... 06 was the first year that I spent pretty much the entirety of the show at 160+, most of it at 180 or above.

Just a different kind of question... I remember before some people predicting drum corps in 50 years and they brought up the (somewhat crazy :P ) idea of improv... their meaning of improv musical scores and drill.

However, if you really DO want to push for improv, wouldn't jazz be a great place to start? You'd never have to write the soloist(s) music... it'd be whatever they felt. THAT would make for some good music.

Just a different kind of question... I remember before some people predicting drum corps in 50 years and they brought up the (somewhat crazy :P ) idea of improv... their meaning of improv musical scores and drill.

However, if you really DO want to push for improv, wouldn't jazz be a great place to start? You'd never have to write the soloist(s) music... it'd be whatever they felt. THAT would make for some good music.

BD used to warm up with improv...

Bravo !!!

Not to go OT here but that is a perfect example of evolution/innovation. No guitars, keyboards...or whatever :worthy:

Sorry....back to your scheduled programming......

...and that pretty much explains drum corps today. I too would like to hear a good jazz show.

hahaha yeah i totally agree, those kids are basically robots because the music they play is actually on the move now.....theyre too busy worrying about stuff like "moving fast," "having good posture and marching technique," and "performing exciting drill" that you very very rarely see any passion on the field anymore.