1965 - W.O. Drops Sr. Show

First the disclaimers, I do not represent DCA, the Caballeros, the Buccaneers, nor any group or person who was on the front lines of the “dispute”. It was my first year in drum corps and I heard a lot of third-hand discussion.

DCA came about for several reasons. The most often cited reason is that the corps wanted to take their destiny into their own hands.

Another reason, one that got a lot of play in the back of the bus after the first few went down, was that many of the judges, particularly the American Legion judges, were ex-Hawthorne members who may have exhibited a lingering fondness for Latin music. And bell bottom pants. DCA gave the corps a larger voice in accrediting judges and selecting the panel for the major shows.

Don’t ask me to name names. I was a young lad just trying to play my part, guide, and cover.

More editing ------------

Now that I've reread the article and your post, the phrase, “boycotting shows they were in” is interesting. To my rookie eyes and ears, we didn't boycott shows, we just competed in DCA shows. Hawthorne could not compete in those shows since they declined to (or weren't invited to) join DCA. It all depends on your point of view.

The next year, at the party after a show somewhere in North Jersey, I met Ralph Silverbrand at the beer tub. Great guy. Taught me the words to the Greasy Sombrero song. The next year they were DCA members. I'm not claiming cause and effect, but it could be ...

-----------------------

PS - Thanks Nancy, I really enjoy the old school DC News articles.

Edited by The Oz

First the disclaimers, I do not represent DCA, the Caballeros, the Buccaneers, nor any group or person who was on the front lines of the “dispute”. It was my first year in drum corps and I heard a lot of third-hand discussion.

DCA came about for several reasons. The most often cited reason is that the corps wanted to take their destiny into their own hands.

Another reason, one that got a lot of play in the back of the bus after the first few went down, was that many of the judges, particularly the American Legion judges, were ex-Hawthorne members who may have exhibited a lingering fondness for Latin music. And bell bottom pants. DCA gave the corps a larger voice in accrediting judges and selecting the panel for the major shows.

Don’t ask me to name names. I was a young lad just trying to play my part, guide, and cover.

PS - Thanks Nancy, I really enjoy the old school DC News articles.

that is correct. dca was formed in reponce to the cabs winning everything. no disrespects ment to cabs. lefty meyer was the driving force.

Probably the thing a got a kick out of the most "new John F. Kennedy Stadium"....lol :P

Probably the thing a got a kick out of the most "new John F. Kennedy Stadium"....lol :P

... actually, Kennedy stadium was brand spankin' new in 1965 ... I ought to know - I went to HS (Central) there when it opened ... the 64 show was held at Hedges Stadium, on the other side of Bridgeport (Harding HS) ... the Bridgeport area was quite a mecca for big shows in the 60's ... Barnum (every year); WO 64,65; DCA 65,66,67 ... in 2004 Kennedy recieved a huge overhaul (lights, rest rooms, track, artificial grass, seats, etc.) and is quite a nice venue for the Barnum once again ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

... the Bridgeport area was quite a mecca for big shows in the 60's ... Barnum (every year); WO 64,65; DCA 65,66,67 ... in 2004 Kennedy recieved a huge overhaul (lights, rest rooms, track, artificial grass, seats, etc.) and is quite a nice venue for the Barnum once again ...

The '65 DCA (the first) technically was not really in the Bridgeport area, though it was in Connecticut. Jonathan Law H.S. Not sure of the town (Milford perhaps?)

And yes, the renovations to Kennedy Stadium are great. Beautiful place for a drum corps show once again. Many memories associated with that great venue. My first two DCA's were there: '66 and '67. The 1970 Barnum saw us perform in a downpour which resulted in the 'Instant Replay' show later that season, and was a major turning point in our season. The one and only 'World Open Senior Invitational' was there in 1971, a Sunday afternoon contest that Sky won handily.

I also attended the 1965 World Open there which of course was Junior only. BUT: How many folks remember that both the Skyliners and the Hurricanes put on exhibitions before the retreat that night? I distinctly remember Wes Hobby announcing that the two corps, the first two to win the Senior W.O. in '63 and '64, had declined an offer to be judged for a head-to-head for a '65 title. They said they would rather win it in a regular contest against all the rest of the top seniors.