and the guy on the right taught color guard in 1965-1966 in Queens. I was there.

That was a mistake! lol

Why drummers get no respect? It's because they look like these two lugs, and by the way, they can't march..at least these two couldn't. lol

All kidding aside, I've judges with both of them and believe me that they are two of the best, besides me and somebody else that is.

he really taught color guard? seriously? no wonder he makes such a good show coordinator... Who'd a thunk it!

There are NO two finer drum corps people than these two guys - it's appropriate that they are such close friends all these years.

something in my memory seems to tell me thet these two may have come from the same North Jersey Junior Corps a very long time ago.

Correct ... they were both with the Dumont Police Cadets ... the guy on the right even became their DM in 63 ...

:-)

Turn yer cellphone off Kaako

That was a mistake! lol

Why drummers get no respect? It's because they look like these two lugs, and by the way, they can't march..at least these two couldn't. lol

All kidding aside, I've judges with both of them and believe me that they are two of the best, besides me and somebody else that is.

Correct ... they were both with the Dumont Police Cadets ... the guy on the right even became their DM in 63 ...

:-)

I don't think I ever met these two, but Dumont Police Cadets rings a major bell here. Especially 1963, when I was with Selden.

Are both of these guys drummers? And was the one on the right a tenor drummer?

Wild guess here. Is the guy on the right C.R.? Andy, that's from your clue. And on the left D.D.? D.D. having taught the Sunrisers long after I marched there? Tony, that's from your clue.

Dennis and Carl?

Edited by gsksun4

Carl taught St.Mary's Blue Angels color guard, Woodside, Queens , where Johnny Guarino and Jack Meehan taught the horns. If I recall, it was 65-66? Jack took a few of us to watch them all practice with Sky at Randalls Island where we first saw the New York (Bronx) Kingsmen rehearse before Sky. That started the exodus from St. Marys to the Kingsmen later that year .(7 or 8 of us went) .

QUOTE (donincardona @ Aug 26 2009, 04:12 PM) *

that's right jeff........they can't win without a #1 drumline. funny how we could all read music. tongue.gif

(and some of them couldn't shutup.gif )

Don and Jeff,

As a horn-line instructor, it was a real challenge trying to teach those who played by ear. The major advantage of having "musicians" who can read music is that you can make the necessary changes much faster. Those who read well made the changes, and took it onto the competition field. Those who could not would try to fly by the seat of their pants. That NEVER works!

I think that the days of learning by rote are slowly disappearing. At least I hope that's the case! :worthy:

Ciao!

Bruce

my question is..........WHY do drummers get no respect? went through a similar expierence in 1977. :shutup:

Don,

I think of it as being misunderstood not disrespected.... :worthy:

(ever wonder why no one wants to sit on the bus in front of, beside or near Drummers? * except for other Drummers of course. :sleeping:* )

Personally, I like Drummers.... Several of my very good friends are Drummers... :thumbup:

they like to make fun of us because they are "musicians"

let em try it without us

(signed a guy who listened to #### for years from his hornline but laughed at them kissing our ##### when we won a title for them)

Like I said, "misunderstood" not disrespect. :sleeping:

Check the DCA stats for the years Donna (a Guard person) and I marched in the Sunrisers... (look closely at the Perc/Drum scores and their contributation to HOW we won when we did as well as WHERE we placed because of the Perc/Drum scores)

We are two of the "non-percussionist" that are (and have been all along) very appreaciative of the contributation the entire percussion section gives to the performances. AND, we have told those percussionist how much we appreciated them! :thumbup:

:shutup::worthy: