Mr. 'T' was a member of the legendary Sons of Liberty Fife and Drum Corps, and even though he achieved his greatest notoriety teaching drum and bugle corps the likes of St. Catherine's, Blessed Sacrament, OLPH Ridgemen, Ballantine Brewers, St. Andrew's Bridgemen, St. Patrick's, Jersey City, Syracuse Brigs, Geneva, et al, he still loved his ancients! He seemed to be most happy teaching the young kids his famous techniques.

Notoriety, indeed. Every one of the drumlines you mentioned were terrific. :tongue:

Mr. 371 was inducted into the WDCHOF in 1978. There are no words about him, just his name.

edit: added last comment

Edited by Mellofello01

He seemed to be most happy teaching the young kids his famous techniques.

In the mid-70s there was a DCI Congress in Chicago. There was some symphony guy in a big room giving a dissertation on tympani tuning and technique, and most of our activity's percussion royalty were in rapt attendance.

But out in the hallway was #371. He had befriended someone's 11yo kid, and handed him a pair of snare sticks. Both sat cross-legged on the floor, drumming on the carpet and diligently working their way through various rolls, diddles, and flam rudiments. I could just sense that this was what our subject loved doing the most.

Edited by HornsUp

all Blessed Sacrament alumni now bow reverently

and Don I. although I don't know that Collin Campbell ever worked directly under him - he certainly subscribed to and taught the B............ T............. methods and techniques

all Blessed Sacrament alumni now bow reverently

and Don I. although I don't know that Collin Campbell ever worked directly under him - he certainly subscribed to and taught the B............ T............. methods and techniques

he never worked under him but he knew him very well and yes tom he did teach his techniques. he still talks about him. he's a very great teacher.

stein 456 said:

"The man in question DID teach the Sunrisers "

I know he taught Orus Cavnor and several others who were in the Sunrisers starting in 1963 (after the demise of the Queensmen), but I don't recall that he ever taught the corps. Do you know when this was Bob?

In my years at Blessed Sacrament I'd seen this man at every rehearsal but as a brass player had no contact with him. Many years later I became a police officer in Monmouth County NJ. I suffered the rookie years working my nights, weekends and holidays and PARADES. In the late 70's I had enough seniority to start using vacation time to get weekends off and migrated back to drum corps. So....while working one parade, can't recall the year, but it was the Battle of Monmouth Parade in June, I noticed a cluster of people in front oof the Monmouth Courthouse, then saw dozens of people running towards this group. Made me think there was someone hurt or worse, so I headed over there. In the middle was our man...Mr. T holding court with a rope drum! Mind you now I hadn't seen him in 20 years maybe and never really knew him. Well he concluded his demonstration and started walking away and caught my eye. I said "Hello, you probaby don't know me but....." He looked at me and said " Blessed Sacrament"!

I guess with less than 30 horns in line he got to know all of us!

While reading back through these postings I notice no one actually speaks "Mr. T's" name. I conclude this is a kind of reverence for someone whom many consider somehow "supernatural". That's true, of couse, but he'd be embarrassed by the adulation.

When I joined (actually was forced to join) the Xavier HS Cadets Drum Corps in 1960, the bugles were taught by Jim Donnelly, the drums by Mr. T.

I was so naive at the time I didn't realize I was in Drum Corps Heaven. I just assumed everybody had instructors like that.

John Smith: Hmmmm late 60's early 70's, right after that guy from the Boston Crusaders came to Sunrisers with his bell's and tympany drums. Ha!!! Like that was gonna catch on. rolleyes:

Timmy Cambell makes a good point. He had a steel trap memory. When our beloved director (OLPH, Ridgemen) Dick Skarbeck became a Catholic priest late in life, he celebrated his first Mass at OLPH with many of the alumni in attendance including ........ this man. This ICON of ICON'S walked over half the size of the Basilica (which means BIG CHURCH) and........shook.... my.....hand.

I'll never for get that moment and I'll never forget HIM.