As I recall, Hoffman had the basic hornline set up in squads of six and used the contras and floaters as needed to fill out a formation ... he also used the flags and floaters to "set picks" that the squads would march to, allowing him to design his forms without the help of yardlines or hash marks ... the "picks" would then go to their next spot to set up the next form ... probably a common technique from that era ... anyway, it's possible that on some days we had 59 horns and more on others ... who knows? ... it was only 40 years ago!!!!!!

:-)

biting my tongue... Andy Andy Andy... you have left yourself so wide open... I could drive a mac truck through the hole...

good thing we all love each other in our old age... Lordy knows there wasn't much love around that day... this of course was most understandable as to this day it is still the only DCA Championship where we went into finals with 5 corps KNOWING they could win... (and that was FACT - any one of the top 5 could have won)... the only reason there was any spread at all was the fact that the judges had to put them in some sort of order...

My #10 Mayonase Jar remains locked on my back porch only to be broken open after the last remaining "perp" and I are gone... unfortunately, everyone else involved has already passed... and of course, I was only a performer and "brief case carry-er" for the boss, therefore I was not involved

EDITED: ah well... I should have bit my tongue harder...

Edited by TomPeashey

did York do any high school consolidation in the 60's or 70's? I know York High is also referred to as William Penn, but I don't know of any other high school that would have OL in there

Not even sure what schools there are in York (dun-tun or in the 'burbs), left alone when any mergers or new schools came about.

I have enough trouble keeping John Harris, William Penn (Harrisburg), Harrisburg High bit staright. Especially since my mom and father in law went to the first two. And God forbid you say either one went to Harrisburg High. :shutup: Note to everyone else: Harris and Billy Penn merged ca 1970, the Harris building was renamed "Harrisburg High" and is the sole HS building as Penn is now a middle school. A VERY sore subject for anyone who graduated under the John Harris or Wm Penn names.

biting my tongue... Andy Andy Andy... you have left yourself so wide open... I could drive a mac truck through the hole...

1972 the only lines that were mandatory were the exterior lines of the football field and the 50 yard line with an x in the center... there were no 5 yard lines...

but of course

There sure were a bunch of other strange marks left on the field by a certain corps who happened to have practiced on the field or somehow got access... did you practice there the night before? Or did they just get access to mark the field? like I said... wide open... I'll never forget the look on Vince's face when he saw them... especially the intersection for the famous traffic jam drill...

good thing we all love each other in our old age... Lordy knows there wasn't much love around that day... this of course was most understandable as to this day it is still the only DCA Championship where we went into finals with 5 corps KNOWING they could win... (and that was FACT - any one of the top 5 could have won)... the only reason there was any spread at all was the fact that the judges had to put them in some sort of order...

That being said... and I have said publicly this before... SKY did themselves in as all they had to do was leave well enough alone and they would have won as they were very likely the best overall corps...

My #10 Mayonase Jar remains locked on my back porch only to be broken open after the last remaining "perp" and I are gone... unfortunately, everyone else involved has already passed... and of course, I was only a performer and "brief case carry-er" for the boss, therefore I was not involved but was told exactly what went on by two of the participants who were VERY much involved...

ah yes tom once again we have ripped of the scab of the wound...........the bark off the tree. and while i love all my old sky friends it was not the case at DCA that year. although winky and i did a little talking that night.

Ritchee said,

"drum major uniform of our high school band, the William Penn High School Marching Band of York, Pa."

i can't beleive that i missed this one again. what the hell is wrong with my brain???? friends please try to not have to take gabapentin. it will #### up your mind big time.

Ritchee said,

"drum major uniform of our high school band, the William Penn High School Marching Band of York, Pa."

:worthy:

Now I know something about York, except for staying the Hades out of dun-tun except for parades.....

i can't beleive that i missed this one again. what the hell is wrong with my brain???? friends please try to not have to take gabapentin. it will #### up your mind big time.

As I was sayin' ......

1972 the only lines that were mandatory were the exterior lines of the football field and the 50 yard line with an x in the center... there were no 5 yard lines...

but of course

There sure were a bunch of other strange marks left on the field by a certain corps who happened to have practiced on the field or somehow got access... did you practice there the night before? Or did they just get access to mark the field? like I said... wide open... I'll never forget the look on Vince's face when he saw them... especially the intersection for the famous traffic jam drill...

That being said... and I have said publicly this before... SKY did themselves in as all they had to do was leave well enough alone and they would have won as they were very likely the best overall corps...

My #10 Mayonase Jar remains locked on my back porch only to be broken open after the last remaining "perp" and I are gone... unfortunately, everyone else involved has already passed... and of course, I was only a performer and "brief case carry-er" for the boss, therefore I was not involved but was told exactly what went on by two of the participants who were VERY much involved...

FYI, Tom, Sky did NOT have access to Roosevelt Stadium at that time or any other time. Like Andy said, Hoffman used "picks" from the cg and floaters for any formation set-ups. NO MARKS of ANY kind on the field. Hell, we rehearsed in a parking lot on Randall's Island; try to use any of the parking spot marks for a set-up!! Good luck!

As for Sky doing itself in that night, NOT ONE MEMBER OF THE CORPS OR INSTRUCTIONAL STAFF WAS IN ON ANYTHING THAT TRANSPIRED! Perhaps someone who was at one time affiliated with the corps thought he would "help" us, but we didn't need any help at all that season. He just took it upon himself and WE paid for it. And, YES, in '71 and '72 there were at least 5 corps who could have walked off with the title either of those nights. It was very close all year and the title was really up for grabs by the top 5. As for the results of the '72 championships, we will never forget that AND the person responsible for the ignominy heaped upon us that night in 1972. As for certain people from other corps and DCA officials who were concerned about "THEM" getting away with anything, "THEM" had absolutely NOTHING to do with it! It was one person only, as you have already related to me personally. I realize that some corps directors in 1972 were trying to fight for their corps, but the fight should not have been with us. We aren't keeping this subject going, but it always seems to be brought up somewhere. Rest assured Skyliners have a very long memory. Want to discuss Doc Shranker in DC (1966) or Vince Mott in Miami (1951)? And I'm pretty sure that Archer-Epler would really like to have a heavy and TRUTHFUL discussion of Miami in 1963.

Why is it that when an official screws up, it is the corps' that pay for that individuals ****-up?? Seems to me the soul searching has to start with them, not the corps.

Ray

FYI, Tom, Sky did NOT have access to Roosevelt Stadium at that time or any other time. Like Andy said, Hoffman used "picks" from the cg and floaters for any formation set-ups. NO MARKS of ANY kind on the field. Hell, we rehearsed in a parking lot on Randall's Island; try to use any of the parking spot marks for a set-up!! Good luck!

As for Sky doing itself in that night, NOT ONE MEMBER OF THE CORPS OR INSTRUCTIONAL STAFF WAS IN ON ANYTHING THAT TRANSPIRED! Perhaps someone who was at one time affiliated with the corps thought he would "help" us, but we didn't need any help at all that season. He just took it upon himself and WE paid for it. And, YES, in '71 and '72 there were at least 5 corps who could have walked off with the title either of those nights. It was very close all year and the title was really up for grabs by the top 5. As for the results of the '72 championships, we will never forget that AND the person responsible for the ignominy heaped upon us that night in 1972. As for certain people from other corps and DCA officials who were concerned about "THEM" getting away with anything, "THEM" had absolutely NOTHING to do with it! It was one person only, as you have already related to me personally. I realize that some corps directors in 1972 were trying to fight for their corps, but the fight should not have been with us. We aren't keeping this subject going, but it always seems to be brought up somewhere. Rest assured Skyliners have a very long memory. Want to discuss Doc Shranker in DC (1966) or Vince Mott in Miami (1951)? And I'm pretty sure that Archer-Epler would really like to have a heavy and TRUTHFUL discussion of Miami in 1963.

Why is it that when an official screws up, it is the corps' that pay for that individuals ****-up?? Seems to me the soul searching has to start with them, not the corps.

Ray

I'm genuinely curious:

The only thing I can find about the '63 ALs is Archie was penalized 2 points for "lateness on the line" at Prelims.

(And dropped from 3rd to 4th at Finals)

Is there more to the story?

Will have to look at the DVD again but was the field at 72 DCA as Bleeped up as it appears on my TV? Can't tell if the lighting wasn't enough for the camera but looks like either there had been puddles on the field or big bare spots.