Andy, do you recall how many brass Sky had in 72. I read Jack Papa saying they had 70 horns.

70 or so sounds about right to me... they were definitely big...

like Cru... they were big thanks to the Brigadiers... I believe the count was 24 of us from the 1971 Dominic DelRa Brigadiers went to Cru that fall for the amazing 1972 season - That included Me, Jack Daley, Paul Collins, Gabe Fabrizio, Dave Morris, John Baldwin and a whole bunch more while Jack Papa, Joe Chizek, Marty Anguilli, George Ross, Butch Anderson, Junior Lorina, Chuckie Taglamonte and a whole bunch of others went to Sky... would love to know what the exact count was in Sky '72...

Considering the success of both Cru and Sky corps in 1972... (arguably both corps were the best of their long and storied histories) it's obvious that our (Brigadiers) talent level in 1971 was much higher than our placement...

70 or so sounds about right to me... they were definitely big...

like Cru... they were big thanks to the Brigadiers... I believe the count was 24 of us from the 1971 Dominic DelRa Brigadiers went to Cru that fall for the amazing 1972 season - That included Me, Jack Daley, Paul Collins, Gabe Fabrizio, Dave Morris, John Baldwin and a whole bunch more while Jack Papa, Joe Chizek, Marty Anguilli, George Ross, Butch Anderson, Junior Lorina, Chuckie Taglamonte and a whole bunch of others went to Sky... would love to know what the exact count was in Sky '72...

Considering the success of both Cru and Sky corps in 1972... (arguably both corps were the best of their long and storied histories) it's obvious that our (Brigadiers) talent level in 1971 was much higher than our placement...

yeah tom i never understood why the brigs did so bad in 71. it was a mystery.

Andy, do you recall how many brass Sky had in 72. I read Jack Papa saying they had 70 horns.

59 on the field ... it wasn't unusual for us to have 70+ at rehearsals during the winter ...

:-)

i would if i could but i can't. i just don't know him.

From the "Clues that won't help" files...

He's married to one of Donna's best friends. (She introduced them to each other.... worthy.gif)

of course i said i didn't know eddie reese but i did. my brain is now officially shot glen.

I'm sure that if it turns out that you really don't "know" him I'm sure you've heard the name MANY times...thumbup.gif

All's OK Don, it's just that our selective memory isn't what it used to be. As long as you remember to put your pants on before you leave the house, yer ahead of the game.

I also don't know him, but I've heard a lot about him. Think he even played with Sun once.

Then Matadors with Centorino I believe. Top shelf right there.

Just an over view / some of Ritchie's history....

1966-1972 York White Roses, Sop Soloist

1973-1975 Reading Buccaneers, Sop Soloist

1977-1982 Rhode Island Matadors, Sop Soloist/DM

1984-1985 Sunrisers, Sop

2005-2007, 2010 Empire Statesmen, Sop Soloist

Lead Trumpet / Soloist, Count Basie and Lionel Hampton Orchestras

59 on the field ... it wasn't unusual for us to have 70+ at rehearsals during the winter ...

Just watched that 1972 DCA video and tried to count brass. Hard to do because they mixed the flags in well and it isn't the full show. Just the Opener and Jam. I thought I counted 60 plus 6 contras. Video isn't the best quality, but it's up there with the most classic footage in the history of drum corps.

At any rate, there probably weren't any small animals left in the area after that performance.

Edited by gsksun4

Haven't been on this thread for a while and missed one that I might have helped with. Would not have recognized Ritchee but the uni to the right with keystone and a rose was a real give away for someone in my part of PA. No idea on the other uni unless it was was one of the York High Schools unis.

Now you guys have me wanting to watch 1972 DCA Sky and Cru on the DVD player....

Edit: Tried to read what's on Ritchees right shoulder and can't do it. Looks something like "...OL" (school?) or last part of a number. White Roses historically were with AL Post #127 (at least in the Sr days) and doesn't look like "..27" on the shoulder.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just watched that 1972 DCA video and tried to count brass. Hard to do because they mixed the flags in well and it isn't the full show. Just the Opener and Jam. I thought I counted 60 plus 6 contras. Video isn't the best quality, but it's up there with the most classic footage in the history of drum corps.

At any rate, there probably weren't any small animals left in the area after that performance.

As I recall, Hoffman had the basic hornline set up in squads of six and used the contras and floaters as needed to fill out a formation ... he also used the flags and floaters to "set picks" that the squads would march to, allowing him to design his forms without the help of yardlines or hash marks ... the "picks" would then go to their next spot to set up the next form ... probably a common technique from that era ... anyway, it's possible that on some days we had 59 horns and more on others ... who knows? ... it was only 40 years ago!!!!!!

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Haven't been on this thread for a while and missed one that I might have helped with. Would not have recognized Ritchee but the uni to the right with keystone and a rose was a real give away for someone in my part of PA. No idea on the other uni unless it was was one of the York High Schools unis.

Now you guys have me wanting to watch 1972 DCA Sky and Cru on the DVD player....

Edit: Tried to read what's on Ritchees right shoulder and can't do it. Looks something like "...OL" (school?) or last part of a number. White Roses historically were with AL Post #127 (at least in the Sr days) and doesn't look like "..27" on the shoulder.

did York do any high school consolidation in the 60's or 70's? I know York High is also referred to as William Penn, but I don't know of any other high school that would have OL in there