Ya know, I got to tell you I go waaaay back with Butch. The Schylerville Green Sabres/Vagabond/Interstatesmen days. And I don't remember Butch as a fighter. He had a hot-temper, was intense, and always had a bunch of guys around him who would fight, and those of you who know the corps that Butch marched with know who I mean.

But I'm having a hard time remembering Butch, having a one on one dustup....???

• Like 1

Ok ... this whole discussion is taking a wrong turn here in Wholand ... the land of love and co-existence ... so ... now that we know it's Walter in the pic, maybe our queen could put up another feature ... hopefully, not one of Butch at this time ... LOL ...

:-)

Ok ... this whole discussion is taking a wrong turn here in Wholand ... the land of love and co-existence ... so ... now that we know it's Walter in the pic, maybe our queen could put up another feature ... hopefully, not one of Butch at this time ... LOL ...

I'm with Andy. This forum is beginning to read like "Golden Gloves for Geezers". (Oh, wait, they just released a movie like that with DeNiro and Stallone!)

While it's understood that we all had copious quantities of testosterone raging through our veins back in the day, most of it was diverted into performances on the field, or in the back of the bus.

Now, who's got the next photo?

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

His last name is spelled Winkelman ... he and Butch had relatively the same tenures as DM for NY ... but, my nod would go to Winky as the "most" famous by a slight margin ... similar personalities ... Butch was more musical ... Winky more emotional ... you couldn't ask for a more seamless transition in 73 ...

Both also played soprano I believe. Wink before he picked up the cymbals.

Think I also read where Butch was groomed to be a DM and before that he was solo sop material. I'm sure Ed R. or Tom P. can attest to this. Something about Butch holding back before heading down to Sky till he was ready to front them.

I think both were great for the position but I'd give Wink the nod for being one of the original Grand Street Boys and working his way up through the ranks of NY to earn that paid dues respect and trust to not only DM, but be director.

Both though would be difficult to top. You don't just plug anyone into that position.

OK, time to move on. Batter up Nanci!

Edited by gsksun4

O.K. not to belabor this feature....but I will.... my understanding was, Butch was with Syracuse, wanted to be the DM at NY. However, he was told that spot was pencilled-in for Jimmy Russo who was about to age-out of Lucy's....deep breath. Butch stayed with Brigs. ..'nuther deep breath. Jimmy decides to forego the Big Red, and instead stays in Jersey with the bell-bottom brigade. Bingo, Butchie to NY, the rest is history.......

I just love all the variations on a theme ...

• Like 1

I just tried calling you Frank but got VM ... give me a buzz later and we'll compare notes ...

Both also played soprano I believe. Wink before he picked up the cymbals.

Think I also read where Butch was groomed to be a DM and before that he was solo sop material. I'm sure Ed R. or Tom P. can attest to this. Something about Butch holding back before heading down to Sky till he was ready to front them.

I think both were great for the position but I'd give Wink the nod for being one of the original Grand Street Boys and working his way up through the ranks of NY to earn that paid dues respect and trust to not only DM, but be director.

Both though would be difficult to top. You don't just plug anyone into that position.

OK, time to move on. Batter up Nanci!

i think it was the last year the Hershey show was held, and I think it was discussed in here before, but Jimmy said the original plan was he was supposed to go to Sky, and Butch to Cabs, and it got changed. In many ways, I'll say that was the best move in all of drum corps, as both guys were the true embodiment of their corps aura

• Like 4