Chicago Rebels?? When were they around? I don't recall the name.

lmao... couldn't resist!

yeah, yeah i know.

Not the Cavs, but their cross-town rivals in blue.

i meant the royalairs. #### these meds.

oh and was he the boss of the marine drum & bugle corps?

• Like 1

One of the instructors for the 1969 Yankee Rebels told me that when our current photo subject brought up the idea of doing a "Requiem for an Era" production that year.... our photo subject was basically told by the corps' staff members to "take a week or two off." LOL.

Because such a production.... with a split corps using multiple tempos... had never been done before on such a grand scale. Turns out it was a genius concept... a groundbreaking, iconic spectacle that stood the test of time.

Chicago Rebels?? When were they around?

A. The Winfield Scott Rebels were a senior corps from the Chicago suburb of Maywood. 1963 may have been their last year on the field.

One of the instructors for the 1969 Yankee Rebels told me that when our current photo subject brought up the idea of doing a "Requiem for an Era" production that year.... our photo subject was basically told by the corps' staff members to "take a week or two off." LOL.

Because such a production.... with a split corps using multiple tempos... had never been done before on such a grand scale. Turns out it was a genius concept... a groundbreaking, iconic spectacle that stood the test of time.

that was the most incredible show back then. when i saw it at mission drums the first time i was in awe. we all were.

• Like 1

OK I need help from the heavy hitters here - the arrangement (brilliant) was his, but my understanding is that he did NOT bring the idea to the Rebs, and that one of the visual/show guys was responsible for it.

I used to know the guy's name - in my old age only the word "Moss" is coming through, but not at all sure.

When the Rebs' Alumni group performed Requiem for the 25th reunion I was fortunate enough to be brought in to do the brass. I had worked Larry K's chart of the "Civil War" for Bridgemen in 1984 and was blown away working the Rebels'.

One of my favorite nights in my drum corps history was the Rebs' show at Parkland HS (is that right Tony or Fran?) that year, replete with smoke machines, lighting effects, the brass line split throughout the auditorium.

I've been with a lot of good, very good, maybe excellent alumni drum corps, and whether that was the single best performance I don't think I can answer, but it had to be right there.

I wish there were a YouTube recording of that night... pretty special.

This guy was the real deal, not that any of us ever doubted it.

• Like 1

You know, stupid as I sound, I would never have gotten this from looking at his picture at that age.

If it's appropriate to introduce one story, he was judging Lewisburg in the early 80s and there was rain - I was in the judges room BSing with Pepe and this fellow came in and entered the conversation.

He said (and Andy, don't get mad - I didn't make it up)..."you know, I saw the Vice President of the United States the other day and he said "hi _____ - The VP calls me by my first name" "I've performed in front of Emporers, Crowned Princes, Shahs, Presidents, Senators, you name it and received standing ovations and accolades... so you can imagine how I felt when the staff of the Skyliners came into last week's critique and informed me I didn't know the first thing about music or drum corps and I should ####ing resign"

Pepe and I were laughing so hard I thought one of us would throw an embolism. I don't think I've known anyone in my life that could be so low-key and so powerful in the same breath.

• Like 2

OK I need help from the heavy hitters here - the arrangement (brilliant) was his, but my understanding is that he did NOT bring the idea to the Rebs, and that one of the visual/show guys was responsible for it.

I used to know the guy's name - in my old age only the word "Moss" is coming through, but not at all sure.

-----------------------

The arrangement was brilliant, but was a record copy. I heard the source LP, years ago.

The M&M guy was WDCHOFer Rick Maass, who came into prominence teaching and managing the Norwood Park Imperials. He wrote drills for a number of Midwestern corps and was a prominent CSJA judge.

Edited by HornsUp

When the Rebs' Alumni group performed Requiem for the 25th reunion I was fortunate enough to be brought in to do the brass. I had worked Larry K's chart of the "Civil War" for Bridgemen in 1984 and was blown away working the Rebels'.

One of my favorite nights in my drum corps history was the Rebs' show at Parkland HS (is that right Tony or Fran?) that year, replete with smoke machines, lighting effects, the brass line split throughout the auditorium.

I've been with a lot of good, very good, maybe excellent alumni drum corps, and whether that was the single best performance I don't think I can answer, but it had to be right there.

I wish there were a YouTube recording of that night... pretty special.

This guy was the real deal, not that any of us ever doubted it.

Parkville... (close enough for hand grenades)