Yes, the Marines were miffed and considering reprisal options until I explained that Jack had just returned from active duty and was prone to sudden emotional outbursts. (This was, of course, a total fabrication and they knew it.)

One of the girlfriends said, "Oh, Sweetie, just like you.", the Marines cracked up, and Jack lived to behave badly another day.

Not only am I glad you remembered and backed that up, I'm glad you were able to save his lip and life. Jack had his own way about him.

I think it was Hershey in 68 when he and China showed up late to the rehearsal arc and John let him have it and he barked back. Tensions were a bit high to say the least until Jack explained what happened to his muffler and how a young China had to crawl under Jack's car with a coat hanger to fix it.

Riding in Jack's autos over the years was like an amusement park ride and house of horrors welded together.

Edited by gsksun4

69 was the year the Hurcs and the Rebels decided to exchange pleasantries at the Post after the Carlisle show. needless to say, tensions were rising, and things went outside, with a little Rambler parked on the street seperating the corps.

Said owner of the Rambler, my then 47 year old grandmother, walked outside and yelled "you boys all go back inside and behave. I served in Europe from 1942-1945, and if you touch my car, you'll be sorry you crossed this WAC.

The corps dispersed. as she left she said loudly "sky should have won anyways"

• Like 3

69 was the year the Hurcs and the Rebels decided to exchange pleasantries at the Post after the Carlisle show. needless to say, tensions were rising, and things went outside, with a little Rambler parked on the street seperating the corps.

Said owner of the Rambler, my then 47 year old grandmother, walked outside and yelled "you boys all go back inside and behave. I served in Europe from 1942-1945, and if you touch my car, you'll be sorry you crossed this WAC.

The corps dispersed. as she left she said loudly "sky should have won anyways"

now that's a funny story.

Where is the Post at in Carlisle? About 1975 my family is leaving the show (with me in the car) and stuck in traffic. Just before we get to the turn to get on the main drag (or road before the main drag) in Carlilse we hear "those 4 notes" (aka "New York, New York"). Yep, get to the turn and there is a car with NY state plates and guy standing on the sidewalk wailing away. Then he puts the horn on the roof of the car and walks into the building (bar?... Post?..). Sop is on the car roof and no one near it....

Dad sez "Dare you to go get that horn". My response: "Like Hell, they're probably watching out the window".

Then again had the head of the Honor Guard threaten to put his saber thru a cars radiator when leaving retreat ca late 1980s. Car turned the wrong way and was blocking the corps progress..... :shutup: That one was hilarious as we were following the corps out of the stadium because my mom wasn't feeling well and that was the quickest way out......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Where is the Post at in Carlisle? About 1975 my family is leaving the show (with me in the car) and stuck in traffic. Just before we get to the turn to get on the main drag (or road before the main drag) in Carlilse we hear "those 4 notes" (aka "New York, New York"). Yep, get to the turn and there is a car with NY state plates and guy standing on the sidewalk wailing away. Then he puts the horn on the roof of the car and walks into the building (bar?... Post?..). Sop is on the car roof and no one near it....

Dad sez "Dare you to go get that horn". My response: "Like Hell, they're probably watching out the window".

Then again had the head of the Honor Guard threaten to put his saber thru a cars radiator when leaving retreat ca late 1980s. Car turned the wrong way and was blocking the corps progress..... :shutup: That one was hilarious as we were following the corps out of the stadium because my mom wasn't feeling well and that was the quickest way out......

Hanover Street, about 2 blocks down from the square, near Market Cross Pub and larry's other haunts

Not only am I glad you remembered and backed that up, I'm glad you were able to save his lip and life. Jack had his own way about him.

I think it was Hershey in 68 when he and China showed up late to the rehearsal arc and John let him have it and he barked back. Tensions were a bit high to say the least until Jack explained what happened to his muffler and how a young China had to crawl under Jack's car with a coat hanger to fix it.

Riding in Jack's autos over the years was like an amusement park ride and house of horrors welded together.

I'm trying to picture barking back at John. I know I never had balls that big. I was teaching the line in '76 when he came in to do a Saturday night rehearsal at Marist College in Poughkeepsie so instead of standing up front I'm sitting in the baritone line (my other full-time job) and I screwed up the Eb fingering in the middle of "Procession"... John screams at me that I should be ashamed of myself and get out and not to come back in again that night but go somewhere and practice. I was telling myself he was trying to set the mood for the rest of the line but I think I walked out of the room without opening the doors - I was able to walk under them... Tony would have looked like a giant that night. And yes I went out and practiced for the rest of the night and never said a word to God...

I'm trying to picture barking back at John. I know I never had balls that big. I was teaching the line in '76 when he came in to do a Saturday night rehearsal at Marist College in Poughkeepsie so instead of standing up front I'm sitting in the baritone line (my other full-time job) and I screwed up the Eb fingering in the middle of "Procession"... John screams at me that I should be ashamed of myself and get out and not to come back in again that night but go somewhere and practice. I was telling myself he was trying to set the mood for the rest of the line but I think I walked out of the room without opening the doors - I was able to walk under them... Tony would have looked like a giant that night. And yes I went out and practiced for the rest of the night and never said a word to God...

err.... Thanks Ray. (I think) I don't think I've ever heard (or read) anything (or anyone) ever make a reference to me looking like a Giant...... well not since 1969 anyways. :devil:

I do remember John's voice occasionally carrying over any and all other sounds when he wished to be heard. I seem to remember it being more the tone of his voice more than the volume though... IIRC, (back in the day) we all wanted to "Do good, don't suck" when John was out front and or in the room...

err.... Thanks Ray. (I think) I don't think I've ever heard (or read) anything (or anyone) ever make a reference to me looking like a Giant...... well not since 1969 anyways. :devil:

I do remember John's voice occasionally carrying over any and all other sounds when he wished to be heard. I seem to remember it being more the tone of his voice more than the volume though... IIRC, (back in the day) we all wanted to "Do good, don't suck" when John was out front and or in the room...

so what are ya saying my twin brother...................you were taller in 69? LOL :silly:

• Like 1

I was probably taller than Tony in 1969, and I was born that year

• Like 1

If my calculations are correct, Tony was marching with Boston then, so he would have had to put lifts in his shoes. They were tough on little people back in the day (and occasionally on big people too).