no clue. I was -2

I was 14 yrs old, but I didn't "get there" till 74. (the year, not my age. LOL)

I don't think it's a tymp. I'm thinking rudimental bass. There were two of those bass at Symphony Hall in 66 with the green stripe in the middle and they were rudimental bass with the players wearing tams. It's not 66 because the cross sash isn't tucked in, as Fish agreed. I'm thinking 67 or 68 and tymps didn't march till 69 I believe, with that copper look? I know Hurcs had the copper color tymps in 71.

He looks to be holding what might be a mallet, with the left hand cupped. That means he could be playing regular bass, not rudimental wearing the regular Hurc hat.

Or, all my research could be for nothing.

:)

Your research is pretty good!

It's very hard to see, but I believe he's wearing an old style bass drum sling ... you can make out the cloth piece and hook on his left shoulder ... can we now get some clues on his name?

:-)

Looks like the one I wore.... (One difference was that we needed to put the sides of the hat down because we were hitting it with the Rifles...)

Not one you wore Tony...that's a satin blouse...last worn in 71'. This pic is a bass drummer from 67'. Ray has already given a clue I was gonna use later!

• Like 1

It's very hard to see, but I believe he's wearing an old style bass drum sling ... you can make out the cloth piece and hook on his left shoulder ... can we now get some clues on his name?

As a bass drummer, he was just an ordinary one...

... in other words, a straight bass drum player vs. rudi ... that's why he only has one stick ... one thing for sure ... IT AIN'T WHISPER!!!! ... or, Findley!!!! ...

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

"...IT AIN'T WHISPER!!!! ... or, Findley!!!! ..."

Oh man, there goes my guess for MajorFin. Those were the only 2 Hurcs bass drummers I ever exchanged words with back then.

I recall getting ready for retreat at Stratford once, Whispers being close by. There was some inter-corps banter and Teddy Sasso called out something to him. Whispers gestured for him to come closer, smiled, and said in his best Greta Garbo, "Don't shout at me. I ain't deaf!"

The youngster in the photo looks about 17. Possibly a Golden Bucs or Shoreliners draftee.

• Like 1

... in other words, a straight bass drum player vs. rudi ... that's why he only has one stick ... one thing for sure ... IT AIN'T WHISPER!!!! ... or, Findley!!!! ...

Wow, that's rare......you usually can't sail one over Andy's head!

Yeah ... now if I only know who it was ... LOL ...

Yeah ... now if I only know who it was ... LOL ...

Actually, I meant you missed my clue!!!!!