Man... you can hear those things thundering on the recordings of Sun that year.

Yep, and no better example than the beginning of Man of LaMancha in the exit.

I always liked that number, especially the part with FTD and Steve Buglino in the duet. No surprise those two HOF'ers still had sweet gas in the tank at the end of the show.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 1

>>yup. the GE caption changed everything forever. but andy execution was still very heavy.<<

No doubt ... and in the beginning of the new sheets, execution judges were still judging GE as if it were a knock down vs. build up caption ... many of them didn't know how to comment on how the effect of a piece musically vs. was it clean or dirty ... it was a BIG change for them ... no one ever asked them if they "liked" something before rather than just how it sounded ... all of a sudden judges doing drums had to be aware of what the horns were doing ... and vice versa ... OH MY!!!! ... what a concept!!!! ... wait till we start discussing the "Analysis" captions that were introduced in 71 ... OI VEY!!!!

:-)

yeah i never understood why they went to the content analysis when it was already kinda in the GE captions.

"...those two HOF'ers still had sweet gas in the tank at the end of the show."

Well, maybe Steve had some petrol, but I was usually on fumes by then. But all of us here who ever marched finals in a major show know the adrenelin was pumping so hard it didn't matter if you were half dead. You just kept going.

It's no different for today's performers, I'm certain, and they'll be telling their stories 40 years from now.

It's interesting, too, that '68 was the closest the Brigadiers and Sunrisers ever got to the DCA title in the decade of the '60s, though they both scored a few later on. No one would have complained if either of them had won in '68, either. There was a good deal of parity in DCA in those days, moreso than now, though that will probably change over time.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 2

:ninja:

Might have to score some of those shows on whatever media might be available..Then I can really become our area's 'librarian'. Could never be as great as being there - but such is life in the tundra. After my kid moves out - I'll have some space to use...but I'm not holding my breath.

Great stories you guys.. I'm envious to NO end! :worthy:

Pat

I know Brian Tolzmann has a big time head start on me - but I've always been a bigger DCA fan than the youth groups..Brian is one of the best sources the entire activity has..

Edited by goalieguy
  • Like 1

"...those two HOF'ers still had sweet gas in the tank at the end of the show."

Well, maybe Steve had some petrol, but I was usually on fumes by then. But all of us here who ever marched finals in a major show know the adrenelin was pumping so hard it didn't matter if you were half dead. You just kept going.

It's no different for today's performers, I'm certain, and they'll be telling their stories 40 years from now.

It's interesting, too, that '68 was the closest the Brigadiers and Sunrisers ever got to the DCA title in the decade of the '60s, though they both scored a few later on. No one would have complained if either of them had won in '68, either. There was a good deal of parity in DCA in those days, moreso than now, though that will probably change over time.

bucs were a dominant corps that year but sun and brigs and cru were fighting all year. and sky was sky, always lurking around waiting to take your feet out from under you. i loved their concert that year. a drummers dream. so buddy rich. parrilou wrote a great chart. sun was so progressive in those years. and corky had such a sweet horn line. WOW!! the memories this all brings. hard to believe it was 46 years ago. a lifetime ago. man. are we all getting old.

• Like 1

>>yeah i never understood why they went to the content analysis when it was already kinda in the GE captions. <<

Aye ... there's the rub ... when PA was introduced by Eric Perrilloux in 1971, we now had three captions being judged with an "execution" mentality ... PA was supposed to be the third leg for analyzing a drum line ... it was a "build up" caption, where lines got credit for "what" was played as the show went on ... "exposure to error" was a key phrase on the sheet - it may have even been a sub-caption ... I just can't remember right now ... wow ... you guys are making me think too much ... dead brains cells are getting jarred in my head ... think I'll have a drink ... that'll put those little suckers back in the dormant stage ...

• Like 1

>>yeah i never understood why they went to the content analysis when it was already kinda in the GE captions. <<

Aye ... there's the rub ... when PA was introduced by Eric Perrilloux in 1971, we now had three captions being judged with an "execution" mentality ... PA was supposed to be the third leg for analyzing a drum line ... it was a "build up" caption, where lines got credit for "what" was played as the show went on ... "exposure to error" was a key phrase on the sheet - it may have even been a sub-caption ... I just can't remember right now ... wow ... you guys are making me think too much ... dead brains cells are getting jarred in my head ... think I'll have a drink ... that'll put those little suckers back in the dormant stage ...

somehow i think it didn't work well at first. but i never understood why it was put in. i know we never got credit for "what " we played. and that was always are big argument at the critiques. after we got flowers we still didn't get credit and eric told us to go back to what we were doing before............YEOW!!!! i think we were getting played .

" "exposure to error" was a key phrase..."

This was a radical concept when it was introduced, and it required some paradigm shifting to take hold. That process took years and is still controversial at times though it's now the standard way of evaluating all competitive groups, from drum quartets to Olympic gymnasts. The "how" and "what" are both considered.

To this day, the best advice I ever got about this concept came from the legendary music judge and educator, Dr. Bernard Baggs.

In a training for new judges, I had asked how to balance these elements fairly. In that Solomon-like and fatherly tone of his he replied, "Frank, keep in mind that anyone can play difficult music badly. There's not much merit in that."

• Like 3

just thought I'd chime in and tell ya how much I'm loving this thread, especially allowing my remembrances of '68 DCA champs at Thomas Aquinas Stadium in Rochester and that the Reilly Raiders/Musketeers did not make finals........that was when the 'First Law of Performance' was coined by Messrs Gaff and Cossetti ..........the 'exposure to error' issue is still addressed at our judges clinics....the sword of Damocles hangs over adjudicators to this day leading to many lively conversations at critiques.....keep this going.....my clinic will be in August.....

Guido of the Mushroom Tribe

• Like 2