Thanks for the JPG's guys, but I saved them as and tried everything to paste them here, but no go.

It's interesting to see now what went down in 68. Don, you guys were right up there with Bucs and Hurcs in drumming I see.

Not too shabby my friend.

our drumline came to rise in 1964. we were a force for many years except my first year in 67. the instructor was colin campbell and he was an execution master. we hung in there well in 68. it's why we came in 4th.

our drumline came to rise in 1964. we were a force for many years except my first year in 67. the instructor was colin campbell and he was an execution master. we hung in there well in 68. it's why we came in 4th.

68 seemed real good for a lot of corps, not just Bucs. They got the brass ring, but there was a lot of back and forth between many corps. This 68 .jpg shows how in the end, after first place, it could have gone many different ways. Strong competition, the way it should be and I still cherish that second place knowing how strong everyone was.

It's true when they say hard work pays off.

• Like 2

>>68 seemed real good for a lot of corps, not just Bucs. They got the brass ring, but there was a lot of back and forth between many corps.<<

I must again reiterate that there was a change in the sheets in 68 ... mainly in the GE where judges in each section got 30 points (instead of 10) to play with and then divided the total of all by three ... and ... at DCA, you got two GE judges per section, which further added (or subtracted) from a corps total ... wild variations throughout the season ... corps AND judges had a hard time adapting to the new captions, sub-captions (was that the first time the term was used) and a move away from "execution" based judging to "content" judging ... NOT and easy task ... plus (on drums) ya had dem darn tympanis ... what the hell are those? ... LOL ... at the Bpt PAL's first show in 68 the judge wrote on the sheet: "there's no room in drum corps for tymps" ... YEOW!!!!!

• Like 1

68 seemed real good for a lot of corps, not just Bucs. They got the brass ring, but there was a lot of back and forth between many corps. This 68 .jpg shows how in the end, after first place, it could have gone many different ways. Strong competition, the way it should be and I still cherish that second place knowing how strong everyone was.

It's true when they say hard work pays off.

Although I fell in love with Sun in 1963 and even moreso in 1965, 1968, 69, and 70 were my favorite Sun years prior to my joining in 75. I only got to experience '70 on records as I was already in the USAF.

• Like 1

>>68 seemed real good for a lot of corps, not just Bucs. They got the brass ring, but there was a lot of back and forth between many corps.<<

I must again reiterate that there was a change in the sheets in 68 ... mainly in the GE where judges in each section got 30 points (instead of 10) to play with and then divided the total of all by three ... and ... at DCA, you got two GE judges per section, which further added (or subtracted) from a corps total ... wild variations throughout the season ... corps AND judges had a hard time adapting to the new captions, sub-captions (was that the first time the term was used) and a move away from "execution" based judging to "content" judging ... NOT and easy task ... plus (on drums) ya had dem darn tympanis ... what the hell are those? ... LOL ... at the Bpt PAL's first show in 68 the judge wrote on the sheet: "there's no room in drum corps for tymps" ... YEOW!!!!!

Bet that guy LOVED Boston and Sunrisers.

In 68, we had horizontal bass drums and John Sasso tuned them before each contest. God bless the guys who carried them.

And this was when Orus Cavnor was teaching, before Shelmar arrived in 69.

• Like 1

yup. the GE caption changed everything forever. but andy execution was still very heavy. if ya sucked ya got killed. in 68 sky took 2nd in prelims at finals they took 5th. of course the judges changed places at night. we waited till 69 to get tose tymps. our fiend eddie reece played on that year.

In 68, we had horizontal bass drums and John Sasso tuned them before each contest. God bless the guys who carried them.

Man... you can hear those things thundering on the recordings of Sun that year.

• Like 1

i loved jerry shelmer. he said if it can be carried i want it in the drumline.

• Like 1

>>yup. the GE caption changed everything forever. but andy execution was still very heavy.<<

No doubt ... and in the beginning of the new sheets, execution judges were still judging GE as if it were a knock down vs. build up caption ... many of them didn't know how to comment on how the effect of a piece musically vs. was it clean or dirty ... it was a BIG change for them ... no one ever asked them if they "liked" something before rather than just how it sounded ... all of a sudden judges doing drums had to be aware of what the horns were doing ... and vice versa ... OH MY!!!! ... what a concept!!!! ... wait till we start discussing the "Analysis" captions that were introduced in 71 ... OI VEY!!!!

:-)