my history...1966, moms best friend was dating a contra player in Westshore, so they went down to the Farm Show building to say hi. Mom met dad that night.

68 finals weekend, i'm uh created.

may 69, i attend my first show at Danville. I was 3 weeks old.

when Westshore folded after 72, dad went to the Rebels. I grew up spending Sundays in Hamilton Post.

in 1975, YR won high drums. at the banquet all the guys got a cool trophy for it. I told Dad "hey thats cool, I want one in Blue for Westshore"

November 88, I run into Dan Delong at a band show. I ask if it's true he's taking over Westshore's drumline. he confirms it, I tell him I'll be there.

and I was until 1996.

oh...and in 1995...Dad got me that trophy but in Blue, for Westshore.

• Like 2

"68 finals weekend, i'm uh created."

You are a true "drum corps kid".

Westshore made the night show. Mom and Dad celebrated. What can I say?

we just don't know if it was between prelims and finals or after finals.

• Like 1

my history...1966, moms best friend was dating a contra player in Westshore, so they went down to the Farm Show building to say hi. Mom met dad that night.

68 finals weekend, i'm uh created.

may 69, i attend my first show at Danville. I was 3 weeks old.

when Westshore folded after 72, dad went to the Rebels. I grew up spending Sundays in Hamilton Post.

in 1975, YR won high drums. at the banquet all the guys got a cool trophy for it. I told Dad "hey thats cool, I want one in Blue for Westshore"

November 88, I run into Dan Delong at a band show. I ask if it's true he's taking over Westshore's drumline. he confirms it, I tell him I'll be there.

and I was until 1996.

oh...and in 1995...Dad got me that trophy but in Blue, for Westshore.

Yeah, you may actually win this one...

• Like 1

Yeah, you may actually win this one...

cool! The other thing, besides the 96 win I love to brag about to Dad was he had to go to YR to beat Bucs, tho he did get them twice in 78 at Shore.

I never lost to em :)

Edited by Jeff Ream

so let's get this straight... Jeff Ream was created in Rochester NY

Now THAT is scary...

• Like 1

Great stories by all ... even the rookie, Fran ... :smile: ... mine is similar and yet different all in the same breadth ... in 58, by age 8, I was a veteran of watching both the Barnum Festival show and its grand parade on the 4th of July (yes, they actually had the parade ON the 4th in those years) ... I got to see the CT Yankees, CT Hurricanes, Bpt Troopers (yes, there was a Troopers pre-Casper), Hawthorne, Syracuse, Scout House and many more throughout the 50's ... then, three Jr corps were formed in Bridgeport in 57-58 ... St. Raphael's, Bpt PAL and St. Ann's ... my brother was recruited by St. Raphael's and I was the tag-a-long little brother ... Earl Sturtze took me under his wing and while the big boys were drilling and whatever, Earl took me to the side and began to hone my individual snare skills ... how lucky was I? ... it wasn't long before I was able to join the "big" boys and begin competing in the I&E shows of the 60's ... like many have said here, their first exposure to a BIG Sr corps was Sky ... my story is no different ... they put on an exhibition in Bpt in 1959 and my life changed forever ... little did I know that 10 years later I'd be sharing the same field with one of my heroes, Walter Winkelman ... I know the images many people have of Sky ... but, trust me, they were extremely appealing to the yout of America ... their sound was stunning ... their military unis were invincible ... they were like a Marvel comic book character ... I became close with many from Sky during my I&E days with the Bpt PAL ... I eventually joined them at the end of 68 and am a proud Lifetime Member - Sky's highest honor ...

C'mon ... let's hear s'mor from all of you ...

:-)

"Lets Hear it From Me":

"What happens in the Emerald City, STAYS in the "Emerald City".".... :ninja:

Of the two co-ed "City" corps I was privledged to march with (St Anns & the Royal Lancers 1958-1966) the CRL was the more successfull. We managed to beat all of our cross-city rivals, (At least onece) and accepted an invite to the CYO Nationals in 1966. St Anns had a good run, mainly as a "Circuit" corps with some incredible Sturtze trained drummers that did well in "Individuals".

Some great RL memories include the "Mid Show" exhibition at the 1963 Dream Contest (Our FIRST "Big Time" field performance bookended by St Kevins & the Skyliners), and making the Finals of the 1963 World Open, our very first time in competition, (The corps was originally "out" but a mistake was found on the sheets that put us in 10 place).

Our best season was 1965 with the "Drietzer Sound", After that year our older members started to slip away to the Hurricanes or the USAF Academy corps. I consider myself MOST FORTUNATE to have been taught by two of THE VERY BEST writer.arrangers in the activity, the late Joe Genero and Hy Drietzer.

Actually:, as a GIRL I had little chance to continue in "Senior" drum corps after the RL shuttterd their doors. My nursing career in the military was right around the corner, and I said "Goodbye" to the activity. My days in St Anns and the Royal Lancers were among the very best in my life. The very brief Park City Pride membership renewed some long lost friendships. :cool:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 2

i was always a crusader.when in elemetary school vince bruni was my gym teacher. he knew my parents very well. in 1964 he saw me start hanging around with some older kids in a gang. so he intervened. he started to take me to crusader rehearsals. i enjoyed it. it kept me off the streets. that year in september there was a show in syracuse and he took me. that was the show that put cru on the map. they beat the cabs. now i was hooked. i spent 1965 going to rehearsals and a few local shows. tournament of drums and some others.i did the same in 1966. then the A.L. NATS was in washington. and bob ashto took me to it. it was exciting. prelims one day finals the next. i really wanted to be in cru. we all remember the fiasco on the field. in october of that year bruni said you look old enough now ans said i could join. so 1967 was my rookie year and i never looked back. i wouldn't trade it for anything. and it kept me out of jail. :thumbup:

• Like 4

Elphie - there's a video of RL on YouTube from the 62 Barnum parade - maybe you can pick yourself out