OK late 90s I wasn't following corps but think I know who it was by looking at scores from the era. Never saw them so no idea myself. Given Rays "length of service" in corps I though he was talking about an earlier time frame. And yeah, I thought Emmaus Sentinels who had a few members join us after they broke up mid 70s.

They were at the Clifton show that year.

Did the Sentinels change their name in the late '90s?

OK late 90s I wasn't following corps but think I know who it was by looking at scores from the era. Never saw them so no idea myself. Given Rays "length of service" in corps I though he was talking about an earlier time frame. And yeah, I thought Emmaus Sentinels who had a few members join us after they broke up mid 70s.

OK, "length of service" is code for "really ####ing old" I think....

Okay ... weren't the Chessmen from Easton? ... or, maybe Ray meant Emmaus ... wasn't there a corps called the Sentinals?

:-)

Yes, and there still is.... (In the Alumni Corps / Parade Corps realm)

Edited by TennTux

"....turned my health care over to the Veterans Administration (gasp) - the positive spin of which is that I'll never need complicated surgery because the VA practices a one size for everything Euthanasia." Agree!

Too this I BELIEVE They are very good at playing Govt. "You Gotta" (Got to). I honestly believe the VA tries their best to see what they can keep you from getting done. (Job Security)

As to Snow. I PAY to have it done.

But to bring it back to Drum Corps. I remember standing on the field during Retreat of at least one show. In early 1960s in mid Sept., in the Hudson Berkshire Circuit. It was at either the North Adams, MA show, or Championship Finals in Pittsfield, MA. Yes it was just Snow flurries. But, none the less SNOW. I was with the Asbury Park, NJ "Hurricanes", and we at least had those heavy Cadet style uniforms. Don't know how the ones in those Satin tops did it.

"....turned my health care over to the Veterans Administration (gasp) - the positive spin of which is that I'll never need complicated surgery because the VA practices a one size for everything Euthanasia." Agree!

Too this I BELIEVE They are very good at playing Govt. "You Gotta" (Got to). I honestly believe the VA tries their best to see what they can keep you from getting done. (Job Security)

But to bring it back to Drum Corps. I remember standing on the field during Retreat of at least one show. In early 1960s in mid Sept., in the Hudson Berkshire Circuit. It was at either the North Adams, MA show, or Championship Finals in Pittsfield, MA. Yes it was just Snow flurries. But, none the less SNOW. I was with the Asbury Park, NJ "Hurricanes", and we at least had those heavy Cadet style uniforms. Don't know how the ones in those Satin tops did it.

Classic coldest ever (besides the showers at the YR show at RFK field) was 1976 DCA at Rochester.

God that was cold - on top of everything - John Flowers was ###### off about something and had the YR play their whole show on the track instead of marching off at the end.

I'm already miserable as DM of the disappointing (to us) 3rd place finish with Sun. 42 degrees on the field.

Phoenix guys are back whizzing on the back fence (from what I'm told).

It was one of those Calgon Take Me Away Moments...

Being a drum major pretty much sucks*, but never worse than it does on retreat.

*pretty much sucks if you pretty much suck as a drum major, which I did.

• Like 1

OK, "length of service" is code for "really ####### old" I think....

"I resemble that remark" - Jerome "Curley" Howard. And I = JimF..

Sentinels broke up around 75/76 and no idea if there was any connection between them and the Chieftains (had to look at corpsreps).

According to corpsreps Chieftains went inactive as they were putting effort into getting Lehigh Valley Knights (Jr) competative. Think it was dbcna.com (RIP) that had a line where the Chieftains "splintered" into LHK which sounded more nasty than the corpsreps entry.

And 76 DCA..... memories of sitting on the blacktop of the airport parking lot (our practice site) Sat night after the sun went down to get warmth. At least I had long pants on even if they were paper thin. Dang you know it's bad memories if you remember what you were wearing.

"I resemble that remark" - Jerome "Curley" Howard. And I = JimF..

Sentinels broke up around 75/76 and no idea if there was any connection between them and the Chieftains (had to look at corpsreps).

According to corpsreps Chieftains went inactive as they were putting effort into getting Lehigh Valley Knights (Jr) competative. Think it was dbcna.com (RIP) that had a line where the Chieftains "splintered" into LHK which sounded more nasty than the corpsreps entry.

And 76 DCA..... memories of sitting on the blacktop of the airport parking lot (our practice site) Sat night after the sun went down to get warmth. At least I had long pants on even if they were paper thin. Dang you know it's bad memories if you remember what you were wearing.

I went back and looked it up - it was the 1998 Chieftans. Thanks Jim.

My wife's first two exposures to the activity were the Chieftans at the Grand Prix and the Sky Alumni at the Lodi I&E show.

Took me years to get her to another show.

• Like 1

You'll never get an argument from me about the VA.

Even today, young men and women trying to go to school on the GI Bill regularly experience waits of up to 12 weeks per semester waiting for their first check.

That wait is what took me out of school in 1977 - back then it was $400+ a month - that was rent at the time. Brutal.

I used to have a "Rambo" movie planned out in my head (back when Rambo was still happening).

It was going to be called "Rambo - Last Blood" when John Rambo actually gets to attack the enemy with his M60.

That being the VA Office on Broad Street in Newark.

I've mellowed over the years, but I'm pretty beaten down about using them for health care, but WTF, right?

We earned it, it's out there, and it's saving us money, if making me a little nuts.

This retirement game isn't so easy.

Not all of us have lucrative MC'ing jobs like Andy and Fran (if you've heard my voice you know why).

I can fly anywhere for free, but can't afford to stay anywhere but in a park, on a bench.

• Like 1

I went back and looked it up - it was the 1998 Chieftans. Thanks Jim.

My wife's first two exposures to the activity were the Chieftans at the Grand Prix and the Sky Alumni at the Lodi I&E show.

Took me years to get her to another show.

I was luckier with my wife (mid 80s Carlisle IIRC) but Danville 1977 caused me to break up with a girlfriend,. Think that breakup was even luckier for me as our personalities did not mesh. Her parents brought her up where everything was all black/white good/bad with no shades of grey in between. So we go to Danville and first corpsmate we see was called Wolfie because he looked like the Wolfman. Very nice guy who would give you the shirt off his back even if it was his last shirt. But the way he looked,,,,, yow....

Still remember the later conversation:

"You KNOW that person?"

"That person is my FRIEND"

Kinda went downhill from there.....

• Like 1