Getting back to our pic: Selden has taken one step over the starting line and halted with a facing to play their fanfare.

M&M judge #1 is behing the line, checking foot positions.

M&M judge #2, backfield, is about to tick the dress of the front.

The bugle execution judge, out front, is listening with his pen and pad poised for action.

Besides being involved with the New York Skyliners Ralph Shur was with Selden in '64. At the end of that season he brought a bunch of you guys (Paulie Adams, Phil Briasco to name a couple) to the Skyliners for the sole purpose of getting himself elected Director. Somehow or other he convinced the Skyliners to let the guys from Selden vote and so for the first half of the 1965 season Ralph Shur was the Director of the Skyliners. The Wednesday before the Syracuse contest that year, Tommy "Bucky" Swann coined the immortal phrase, "Whoever wants Ralph Shur as Director of the Skyliners go stand over there." And that is an EXACT quote. That night Ralph Shur and Carmen Cluna were removed from the Corps. And, believe it or not, because Hy and Carmen were such close friends, Hy was almost given the boot as well.Pepe, Wink, and Dom Tambone became the triumphirant that directed the Corps for the remainder of that season. Frank Kubinak came on to replace Carmen as drill instructor. The week before the Syracuse contest the AL Nats were held out in Portland, Ore. and Rochester beat Cabs fair and square. They were also at the Syracuse contest as were the Huriccanes. Rochester thought (and who could blame them, they were THAT good) they would prevail and Joe Genero just considered us an afterthought, after all the Skyliners couldn't march worth a lick. Kubinak worked us for 3 straight hours on just the first 16 steps off the line. He taught us the "elbow to elbow" technique. That night we where electric. Genero's jaw literally hit the ground when he saw us come OTL. He later commented, "It looked like someone shoved you guys off the line with a board. That was the weekend that the New York Skyliners lost the reputation of not being able to march. We didn't win but neither did Rochester. And yes, I think Hy did at one time or another write a number or two for Selden. Hey, I could be wrong, so shoot me. :laughing:

The Adams brothers, Pat, Jeff and Paul were monsters. They used to bench press eachother for the fun of it. You'd never mess with Selden, with those guys around. I believe Paul Adams hooked up with Hell's Angels and died in a house fire. Shame, I thought he was a nice guy. I was at a show with Sky when Briasco was with them. Think he played contra back then. He kept giving Sol Anthony the business about how black and greasy his ears were. Heh, very funny. What a bunch of characters. We (Selden) also had another monster in 63 named Charlie Johnson. This guy was the original Brick #### House. He knew Ray Dandridge from Carver. I recall Paul Auster ribbing Charlie Johnson at practice out in Selden one night, and Charlie went after Auster. Paul was a big guy, but no match for C.J., so Auster took off running like a jack rabbit. Good thing C.J. never caught him, would have been a real messy battle. Then there was Dee Dee Reuben (Shakey) Jackson. Another guy with arms too big to find a decent shirt. All in all, a great cast of characters and lots of fun to be around.

Edited by gsksun4

Go ahead Tony. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if you were standing inside it. :laughing:

If I were you I wouldn't take that bet... :tongue:

Yo!!!!! Tony!!!!! Is dis gonna be one a dwem sleeping wit da fishes tings?????? Sheeeeesh, I miss da old neighborhood

If I were you I wouldn't take that bet... :laughing:

Yo!!!!! Tony!!!!! Is dis gonna be one a dwem sleeping wit da fishes tings?????? Sheeeeesh, I miss da old neighborhood

Naa, your the "Guido" here pal.... :laughing:

Go ahead Tony. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if you were standing inside it. :laughing:

I'll bet if you were standing inside said barn, his aim would improve substantially.

I know mine would....!