Please Read Before You Post

If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)

If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.

When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.

Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..

One @ a time, Left - Right, Please... Guess Who # 484 ?

(click on pic to enlarge)

Ok, 1. on the left is Jumpin' Joe Genero

Now who's the man in the middle?

I was originally a drummer when I came up to the Hurks from a street corps in Danbury, I realized very soon that I would not make the drum line I just did not have the experience, Joe said how about a horn, a baritone, he gave me a horn showed me how to play a C and bam I was kooked,I will alway be grateful to Joe, he gave me an appreciation for music that I probably would have never had; I miss him dearly, I would be in CT visiting family and it just happened he worked at the Ford dealership in Danbury I would stop by, we would talk drum corps until his manager would come up and ask him if he was intending to sell any cars that day, he always had time.

RIP Joe

SOMF

I pick door #3...it must be Telly Savalas :shutup::shutup:

If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)

When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.

Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

I vividly remember my first encounter with Jumpin' Joe....I went to Sutter-Terlizzi to join the Hurcs one week after the 65' DCA. Joe took me into the equipment room and looked at me with suspicion, then smiled and asked in that gravely voice.."How old are ya son?"...I lied..., he nodded..., had me play a C and go up the scale...He thought for a second , gave me a pat on the shoulder a told me to go sit on the end. That night we began learning Rhapsody.....he actually did have music for that...it was the third year he'd taught it. He wanted to play it OTL but it never seemed right to him (it was shelved for Dolly in 64', Zing in 65' and subsequently for Inka Dinka Doo in 66'...we finally played it in 67'. When he would start a new tune he'd come the first time with maybe 10 or 15 measures written to pass out...after that it usually came out of his head and if you wanted it written, you had to do it on your own. He would cup his ear, stomp his foot in that very distinctive way, scratch his neck and whisle while gazing at the ceiling and proceed to teach the rest of the tune note by note, measure by measure until he was satisfied.

An earlier post suggesting that Joe seemed a little crazy on the field isn't far off the mark. He looked awkward marching,...he wasn't a flamboyant showman, but he was certainly an effective (or affected) presence! We all understood the body language, the guttural growls, the screaming, laughing and eyes darting....He was intimidatating, focused and tenacious...he brought the best out of us in part because no one wanted to disappoint him! Joe Genero can be fairly compared to his contemporaries, e.g. Drietzer, Crawford , Ferraro, Sasso, Kershner 'et al', but the impact Joe had on the field is, IMO, without peer. I've long held the belief that when Joe was DM he willed us, through his mindset and determination, to be a better corps than we actually were! The aura and competitive nature of the man was that intense.

For twenty years Joe was the architect of the Hurricanes program...I played in the Genero line for eleven of those and I feel honored and privileged to have done so!

• Like 4

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

So, everyone is on vacation? Or no one has a clue for the man in the middle?? Hmmm..

So, everyone is on vacation? Or no one has a clue for the man in the middle?? Hmmm..

OK...The gentleman in the middle was notable and highly regarded in his time. He was a Charter member in 1932.

OK...The gentleman in the middle was notable and highly regarded in his time. He was a Charter member in 1932.

1932? ... are we looking at the same pic?

#2's first name always makes me think of a certain opera that Hawthonre played for an OTL when #1 was writing for them ...

:-)

1932? ... are we looking at the same pic?

#2's first name always makes me think of a certain opera that Hawthonre played for an OTL when #1 was writing for them ...

Hmmm.....

If I'm on the right path, #2's first name makes me think of a Brendan Fraser film, "------ of the Jungle". That is, if Fish is correct.

If not, and Andy's correct, then I think of a guy who taught Loretto what to do with their feet. On the field that is...

OK, just did some research and I'm thinking Andy's on the right path. If I follow Fish, I'm thinking if this guy played with the Collins post in 32, he'd be older in this photo. Unless he was pretty young while with them.

Think I'll wait for more info.

Edited by gsksun4

Hmmm.....

If I'm on the right path, #2's first name makes me think of a Brendan Fraser film, "------ of the Jungle". That is, if Fish is correct.

If not, and Andy's correct, then I think of a guy who taught Loretto what to do with their feet.

... the pic looks like Loretto guys ... with #2 wearing a Loretto satin corps jacket ... and if I'm on the right track, #2 also taught Selden's drill now and then ... and also marched in Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St. Joe's of Newark with #1 ... whew!

:-)