Andy is right about the turf, and that might be a red herring, but there was some around and who rests his horn on cement and then puts his head on it? No self-respecting lead sop in my experience would do that.

Yes, he's smiling, but that's because it's summer and he's a drum corps bum I think. I still believe it's a light-deprived upstate kid, though I could be wrong.

Can anyone decipher the script on his shirt?

is there a code about cement and head? if that's him I sure don't recognize him...

is there a code about cement and head? if that's him I sure don't recognize him...

Maybe another Sunriser?

Maybe another Sunriser?

I just thought I knew most of them at the time.

He looks a little like Wobbles O'Brien from Poughkeepsie, but Wobbles was a contra-bass.

Please Read Before You Post

If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)

If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.

When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.

Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..

Guess Who # 487 ?

(click on pic to enlarge)

Did did Pete ever play Sop? (I thought he always played Mello....)

IMHO, This looks more like black top than AstroTurf to me... (It also looks like the horn is resting on his hands and his head is resting on the horn.)

Giving that, and if this Corps is Sun, I'll also go with Hofstra for the location but I'm not recognizing who this is. (Of course if this is NOT Sun I'm WAY off in the guessing who part too)

Edited by TennTux

Can you actually balance a leg-rest snare that way? Shadow reveals someone nearby, but not close enough to be bracing the drum.

The horn is a valve/rotor, possibly an Olds G/F, c. 1972. The player in question is reclining, but probably not on dirt or concrete. My guess is the track around a field, or possibly the original carpet form of Astro Turf.

The specs are vintage '70s and he clearly relishes a few minutes in the sun, indicating a resident of a northern climate who appreciates any summer he can get.

What do you think, Watson?

For now... all I can say is that the horn is not 1972.

incredibly good to see Dan Fitz posting on this site......he's an old friend and one of my heros........oh, better watch out when yer talking about 'concrete' and 'head'....I read that they just found some remains....capisce????

Guido

• Like 1

There's some good sleuthing going on here. For the record, I have no idea who this is or what corps is involved.

As for the horn, it appears to be a valve/rotor G/F, so could have been made no earlier than 1967, though some alumni players still use these. They were sweet, like a vintage T-Bird.

The snare leg rest was an endangered species by the early '70s, though still used by some show bands today (see the film, "Drumline", for example).

Upon further review, his hands are under the instrument, and could be resting on blacktop. This would be mighty uncomfortable when the sun was high except in moderate temperatures, or under cloud cover. The sunglasses counter indicate the latter.

Could his shirt be inscribed, "Hello"?

This is a good one. How about a hint from someone who knows his identity?

• Like 1