Every time he plays the National Anthem at an indoor show that I'm working... Dixie Stinger, Bucs' Spring Preview, wherever... I always joke with him about how he wants to be introduced: Archer-Epler Alumni, Rebels Alumni, Bucs Alumni, or all of the above and more. :tongue:/>

He's too humble to let me introduce him as "Brass God"... but he deserves to be!

You left out '90 Sunrisers

• Like 2

Our current photo subject entered the DCA I&E competition on both French horn and mellophone several times.

One year... might have been a couple of years, I'm not sure... he played a piece from the jazz trombone virtuoso Bill Watrous called "Fourth Floor Walk-Up"... an insanely difficult chart.

Our subject played this piece on a valve-rotor Frenchie, one of the toughest marching brass instruments to control (I know that from experience, and have the battle scars to prove it... LOL) ... and pretty much nailed it.

He was, and still is, an unbelievable midrange player.

Sort of funny - you and I were both writing about the 4th Floor Walk-up chart at the same time.

Memorable is one word that comes to mind.

You're right about the horn too. Picture Stan playing that chart on that horn - they'd throw it out a window on the 4th Floor!!! (just kidding, Stan... mostly)

You left out '90 Sunrisers

They fall into the "and more" category. :tongue:

Remember, those indoor shows are almost entirely alumni corps.

Occasionally, some of the folks who follow that side of the activity can be a bit out of the loop on the competition corps. :ph34r:

Like the guy who, a few years ago during the middle of the Buccaneers' record-breaking DCA championship run, asked me, when I mentioned them, "the Buccaneers... are they still around???" :lol:

Sort of funny - you and I were both writing about the 4th Floor Walk-up chart at the same time.

You're right about the horn too. Picture Stan playing that chart on that horn - they'd throw it out a window on the 4th Floor!!! (just kidding, Stan... mostly)

You're right about the horn... it was a valve-slide, not rotor.

Even more awe-inspiring.

Oooh oooh, Mr Kotter, I know this one... ooh...

:w00t:/>

Do you mean the original Stan.... or Marty "Stan"? LOL

Do you mean the original Stan.... or Marty "Stan"? LOL

To me Marty is the original, one and always "Stan"

• Like 2

To me Marty is the original, one and always "Stan"

worthy.gif

Scully, wasn't he the gentleman that could pass for being his brother???

yes

He could also double for the guy in the old Six Flags commercials

• Like 3