Well, I'm sure that much much more could be said about this GW subject.

We get a lot of DFs on DCP, but this one is the greatest of them all.

I wonder from time to time what it would have been like if his drum corps career had placed him in a line that featured his artistry. We know all the names of the great soloists, Johnny Grass; Frank Dorritie; Bill Hightowe; Bobby Gaff; Tommy Martin; Tommy Swan; Harry Hazlewood; Ruben Ariola; Baby John Chalmus; folks who had entire shows written around their talent. I think this GW would have earned that same cachet had the show been written for him.

I had a gas writing Buddy Rich's West Side Story "Somewhere" with DF playing the John Boyce trombone solo on french horn (with slide). If he had the opportunity out on the competitive field, we wouldn't have anyone reading this that did not immediately recognize his name.

One of the all-time greats.

A fitting tribute.

Or should I say... a Fitzing tribute? :tongue:

• Like 1

A fitting tribute.

Or should I say... a Fitzing tribute? :tongue:/>

We're on the same wavelength Fran. In my previous post, I said "all the news that fits (Fitz). Apparently no one caught it or they overlooked it. Very punny.

Great guy and a rather good player! I was a little surprised that he hadn't been inducted into BHOF long before now.

Ray Fallon mentioned in an email to me that I was the subject of a "Guess Who"in DCP, so I logged in to check it out. You are all too kind! I've been very lucky to have played in horn lines taught by these arrangers/instructors (in approximate chronological order): Tommy "Cargo" Brennan, Bob Jennings, Truman Crawford, Lee Wolf, Mark Fulcomer, Ray Fallon, Tony Yaklich and Larry Kerchner. The last three people in this list had written things with me specifically in mind, and that is extremely flattering! My favorite pieces to play were "West Side Story" by Ray and "Sleepy Time" by Larry. I loved playing those pieces, and I'm eternally grateful to have had the opportunity to play for and learn from these great folks!

Danny Fitz

• Like 2

Sort of funny - you and I were both writing about the 4th Floor Walk-up chart at the same time.

Memorable is one word that comes to mind.

You're right about the horn too. Picture Stan playing that chart on that horn - they'd throw it out a window on the 4th Floor!!! (just kidding, Stan... mostly)

Holy cow! I went to the last page when I logged in, and after I made my initial reply, I went back page by page to read about other GWs. Still didn't get there! I didn't know there was all this stuff too! I have to address the topic of what horns I played on what chart, though. On "4th Floor Walkup" I was playing a DEG two valve G-F french horn, and later an Olds Ultratone 2 valve G-F french horn. On "West Side Story" I was playing a Getzen Titleist G-D/slide french horn. The most impressive thing about the latter was what a great job Ray did in writing that chart (and solo) in a key that worked very well on that horn. Here's something not widely known in regard to "4th Floor Walkup": I picked the thing off of Bill Watrous' 33-1/3 RPM vinyl record album, a few notes at a time, playing the record at 16-2/3 RPM (talking book speed) and writing them down. Laborious! It was cool that my turntable did this! I realized that half speed playback is half "cycles per second", i.e. one octave lower. I didn't have a keyboard, but I had a guitar, and this turned out to be better for me. When I figured out what notes I wanted to be playing on the horn, i.e. what key to be in, I tuned my guitar to match that key, and played the notes along with the record. It worked for me.

• Like 2

Ray Fallon mentioned in an email to me that I was the subject of a "Guess Who"in DCP, so I logged in to check it out. You are all too kind! I've been very lucky to have played in horn lines taught by these arrangers/instructors (in approximate chronological order): Tommy "Cargo" Brennan, Bob Jennings, Truman Crawford, Lee Wolf, Mark Fulcomer, Ray Fallon, Tony Yaklich and Larry Kerchner. The last three people in this list had written things with me specifically in mind, and that is extremely flattering! My favorite pieces to play were "West Side Story" by Ray and "Sleepy Time" by Larry. I loved playing those pieces, and I'm eternally grateful to have had the opportunity to play for and learn from these great folks!

Danny Fitz

thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Holy cow! I went to the last page when I logged in, and after I made my initial reply, I went back page by page to read about other GWs. Still didn't get there! I didn't know there was all this stuff too! I have to address the topic of what horns I played on what chart, though. On "4th Floor Walkup" I was playing a DEG two valve G-F french horn, and later an Olds Ultratone 2 valve G-F french horn. On "West Side Story" I was playing a Getzen Titleist G-D/slide french horn. The most impressive thing about the latter was what a great job Ray did in writing that chart (and solo) in a key that worked very well on that horn.

How do you remember all of that? (I'm having some difficulty remember earlier today... heh)

Here's something not widely known in regard to "4th Floor Walkup": I picked the thing off of Bill Watrous' 33-1/3 RPM vinyl record album, a few notes at a time, playing the record at 16-2/3 RPM (talking book speed) and writing them down. Laborious! It was cool that my turntable did this! I realized that half speed playback is half "cycles per second", i.e. one octave lower. I didn't have a keyboard, but I had a guitar, and this turned out to be better for me. When I figured out what notes I wanted to be playing on the horn, i.e. what key to be in, I tuned my guitar to match that key, and played the notes along with the record. It worked for me.

Holy Cow! Talk about a labor of love.... worthy.gif

Danny Fitz

Hmmmm ... just wondering ... is this the first "self identified" Guess Whoer?

Madam Queen ... your sceptor please ...

:-)

Hmmmm ... just wondering ... is this the first "self identified" Guess Whoer?

Madam Queen ... your sceptor please ...

:-)

Hey, if he wasn't a "Rookie".... :giljotiini:/>

( I just called him a "Rookie"!!!) :felloff:/> :lol:/>

Well...Ok, he's a "Guess Who Rookie" :bleah:/>

But, on the field / stage... :thumbup:/> :worthy:/>

Welcome aboard! Buckle up and stick around... you'll probably enjoy the festivities.

Hey, if he wasn't a "Rookie".... :giljotiini:/>/>

( I just called him a "Rookie"!!!) :felloff:/>/> :lol:/>/>

Well...Ok, he's a "Guess Who Rookie" :bleah:/>/>

But, on the field / stage... :thumbup:/>/> :worthy:/>/>

Welcome aboard! Buckle up and stick around... you'll probably enjoy the festivities.

Ya know... I just watched a Crossmen rehearsal out here in Texas. Here's why it was fun - I taught Crossmen's brassline for a ridiculously short one season in 1991. My son Kevin started there that year playing tuba - he was 13 when he joined and 14 when he hit the field the first time. Anyone who knows Kev knows that he acquitted himself very well, even at that age. So here I was tonight, sitting with Kevin and his three sons watching Crossmen. (Meghan couldn't come because of gymnastics - either could Melissa her mom who was a superstar guard person at BD).

So I'm sitting in the stands with my wife Carrie, my son (former Crossmen tuba) Kevin, my grandson Connor who is currently about to run me over on trombone at 12 years old - way better than I was at 12, maybe better than Kevin was, and my two littler ones Nolan and Colin. And we're watching my youngest Nancy who is playing (gasp) synthesizer with Crossmen this year. In the middle 3 year old Colin stands up in the bleachers and starts to conduct, pretty much the way his dad always did at that age.(Nolan was more interested in the Texas Rangers game we're going to tomorrow night). Last local rehearsal for the corps, which leaves tonight for their first show.

Then I get home and read these notes from Danny Fitz, who I will always consider one of my best friends and one of the greatest players I've met in the activity.

Anyone think life is not good? Come talk to me...

And finally, thanks to our queen for making so much of this fun possible. I groused a couple of weeks ago about having to identify George Parks, one of the 3 most recognizable people in the history of our sport (4 if you consider Pepe) and she set me straight. And as usually happens when I have a difference of opinion with members of the superior gender, she was correct.

Life is good. Go Crossmen! Go Drum Corps in general. We're far from finished with this great activity.

• Like 3

You've no idea how hard it is finding pics to keep this thread going. Some folks here have been major helpers in finding some pics and emailing them to me to be featured. Thanx so much to all of you!!

So, yeah.... I try my darnedest to make each one last as long as we can. That's why I carefully worded the main "FEATURE" post the way I did (with the few lil important rules) to help us achieve the most out of each feature.)I think it's absolutely wonderful all the history and personal stories and the sheer homage paid to those featured here.

I love it!!!

I'll try and post a new feature tomorrow. G'nite & sweet dreams!