Your Memories

What is your fondest memory?

I have a few but I remember a show in 1976 where we traveled to London, Ontario and competed against the Flying Dutchmen, Krescendos and Precious Blood Cardinals. I believe we took third place but it was a big turn around for our corps as we almost took high horns and got us ready for the NT Open which we later won Class A.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have two; 1967 my first year in a field corps being at Fenway Park and taking 4th at AL nationals with Mighty St.Joes

The second was the whole year of 1975 with Rochester Phoenix,,must say it was the best year of my life, what a ride!!!!!

Sorry for the long reply, this an essay I wrote for my English class this past fall.

A Remember Event

In the summer of 1978, an event that happened to me comes clear to me as if it occur this past summer. As a teenager I was a member of a junior drum and bugle corps that competed in drum corps shows across the eastern United States. Every time I see old friends that marched that summer, I ask, “do you remember the time we were at West Chester on that hot humid night in August of 78”?

We as a corps were having a good season that summer. We had worked hard that summer to show the people that followed drum corps we were a force to be reckoned with. The year before we had a bad season; the corps had lost half of our membership. Then in the spring to gain members we had merged with a corps with members not as experienced as our selves. So we doubled in membership, but we put together a show that was a disaster. Putting a show together in two months verses six months is a disaster. Putting it mildly from scoring in the mid 70’s out 100 in scoring, to scoring in mid -50’s is a disaster. The hornline and the drumline were not playing in unison, and people were marching out of step. It leaded to a catastrophe on the field.

But in 1978 the season was turning out to season to be remembered. Most of the members gained from the merger had not returned for the 1978 season. The members that stayed were the ones that wanted to perform, with the attitude quality not quantity. The staff was young but they brought with them some innovative ideas in music and designing a show. Donny and Jimmer were the two people that taught the hornline to bring compassion in playing. When the corps played A Night on Bald Mountain the audience could feel the lower bass parts as if they were plucking the strings on cello. In Russian Christmas Music the feeling that the corps gave from playing that piece was if it was in the middle of a raw Russian winter.

Donny and Jimmer instilled a sense of pride in our corps, with them standing on the side lines making hand motions, like a baseball manager would do if a ball player was attempting to steal second. When we were on the field performing they would also point or yell out a horn players name if a member was not performing a 100 percent. Donny’s most famous quote to us that summer was “play, just play that ####in horn”. They knew we had the talent that summer. We were playing a musical book that was written for 44 horns with only 24 horns.

As we left Lebanon County for shows up and down the Mid-Atlantic that summer we started to feel that we were doing something right. It was fun being a winner again after the disaster of 77. As we were coming into August we were having fun on the field, something that we forgot for so long.

That August it was a hot, thick, humid month, the type a person gets when they feel the sweat pouring from every pore of their body. The show at West Chester that Saturday night was 90 degrees with 100% humidity. We were competing against six corps that evening. The show we did was our best performance of the season. From the opening haunting strains of A Night of Bald Mountain to the final crisp notes of Russian Christmas Music the show went off like magic.

Then the funniest thing that happened the whole season unfolded. It was time for the announcement of the scores. The six corps lined up on the track for the Olympic style retreat with the varied colors of the uniforms to the large assortment of sizes and shapes of the colorguards. We came to the area of the field that we called our own for the scores. As we set up, the colorguard was the first to line up on the field with the 24 guard members setting up in a semi-circle around the three member American flag unit. Then it was the drumline’s turn to take control of their spot on the field. The hornline was the last to take their spot.

Gary, the drum major, would call the corps to attention, and then he would slowly make his way up to the fifty yard line to take his place with the other six competing drum majors. As the season progressed it would become a competition to see which drum major would get there last. It would seem like an eternity for them to get to the fifty yard line. As this was going on the stadium was calm, with the full moon rising over the stadium. All of a sudden Al, one of the baritones, left out one of the largest farts that the whole corps could hear. Within ten seconds a dog from one block away started baying at the full moon. It was if the dog heard the reverberation of the fart. All of a sudden not only our corps started to laugh but every one of the corps on the field started to laugh. For five minutes all we could do was laugh, while we were at attention trying to be serious for the announcement of the scores.

To this day I still do not know what the score was or who won the show that night. Finally the scores were announced, and the corps started to troop the stands one last time. As the corps marched off the field, our colorguard would give the competing corps a double spin from their red and white flags, while the rifle line would do a double toss in the air with their rifles. Then it was our turn to march off the field, playing our fans much loved A Night of Bald Mountain. When we came off the field and made our way back to the busses, Gary was upset. All of us could see the veins of his neck sticking out his head that he was mad. He thought we made a fool out of him, as he was going forward to accept the awards that evening. We told him the story in what transpired. All of a sudden he starts laughing, stating that we wished he was there to see the events unfold. We finished that season on Labor Day weekend finishing the season as the third best corps in the Mid-Atlantic States in our division.

That summer was my favorite of all the years that I marched in drum corps.

It taught me some things that I will always remember. Quality not quantity is the most important thing to look at in results. My drum corps friends are like a family to me. Having fun in what you are doing is the most important thing of all.

Heh, going to American Legion National Convention in New Orleans about 10 days after I hit 21. Had a choice of going by bus or plane and I rode the bus (23 hours 45 minutes worth) from PA to LA. Saw more of the country during that period than in my entire life. Not to mention playing in the SuperDome. Still hits me everytime I saw Katrina pics or vids. :( Plus after also four years of bringing a defunct corps back to life we became AL Champs. :) :) :)

Also my fourth year in the corps and first year I could have a many beers with the older members. And a lot of people asked me about have a brewski in my hand that weekend. :P It got so bad, everytime someone yelled "Jimmy!!!" I'd yell "Just turned 21!!" instead of "What?".... Then the response was usually "Oh wow that's right, you have been a member for a while" :laugh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I would have to say that my fondest drum corps memory is the first time I saw the Madison Scouts. I was on tour with my very small hometown corps from Canada. This was our first tour to the United States and we ended up in Horicon, Wisconsin for the "Marsh Days"festival. My corps was warming up for the parade and, of course, were experiencing a lot of "hurry and wait" time which was the norm for parades. I was only 11 years old and my attention span was that of an 11 year old so I decided to wander around while we were waiting and see what else was interesting. I had never seen a big corps so to me drum corps was a cool thing I was involved in, but I really didn't have any kind of understanding of the activity in general.

I was walking through the park where units were assembling and I stumbled upon this huge hornline warming up. It was Madison. I could not believe me eyes, or my ears. They were in a moment of "self-warmup" and one of their lead sopranos was playing some arpeggios. He just kept getting higher and higher, and seemed like he could keep going forever.

I'm not sure how long I stood there watching, but I did see the entire hornline play some exercises. The sound was something that I had never experienced before. I was completely in awe. The only thing to capture me from my dream-like state was my brother coming over to find me. It was my corps' time to start the parade and people were looking for me.

I actually don't remember the Marsh Days parade that year. I think my mind was elsewhere. That night at the show my corps went on early in the show, and I remember wondering if I was going to have a chance to see this group I had witnessed before the parade. After my corps performed I wandered around the stadium. I saw the souvie booth for the Madison Scouts and knew that this was the group that I had seen earlier. I was filled with excitement and anticipation.

The Marsh Days show was in a small stadium. As the Madison Scouts came out onto the field I found a place to sit on the grass right at the front of the field in front of the stands. I watched the corps perform from this very upfront and personal perspective. I can't really remember anything about that performance except that this was even better than the warm-up I had watched earlier. I couldn't believe it. I was absolutely in love with what I was seeing.

When I got home from tour that year my parents were there to meet me as I got off the bus. The first thing I said to them was "I want to be a Madison Scout!" They had no idea what a Madison Scout was and I'm sure that they thought that this was some crazy childish dream. Each year after that the highlight of the summer was seeing the Madison Scouts live. Photos of the corps filled the walls of my bedroom and sounds of recorded drum corps music was a constant through the speakers of my stereo.

After graduating from high school I auditioned for the Scouts and was accepted into their soprano line. I marched three seasons with the corps and it was the greatest experience of my life. From my first rehearsal, and hearing the corps being called to attention for the first time, to the day I aged out I made sure I maxed out every moment because I was living my dream. This is all I had wanted to do with my life since I was 11 years old.

I am a fortunate person for this experience. Drum corps and the Madison Scouts have made me the man I am today!

1969 and 1971.

'69 Because it was the rebirth of our corps from St. Joseph Patron Cadets to St. Rita's Brassmen.

We toured the mid west that year. Kenosha and Racine Wisconsin. Wow. Saw Anaheim for the first time. Wow!

'71 Well A Standing Ovation in Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum is a good memory, wouldn't you say? It was like ten minutes long and proved to me that Carmen Cluna was indeed a genius. That was our Woodstock show and after the attack on the American Flag and the pyrotechnics and running off the stage, we played the reprise of the West Point Alma Mater from the wings and as they say: The crowd went wild.

On the field at the Heart Fund Invitational for our first show the crowd, the judges and even we were amazed at our 2nd place finish.

AttackOnTheFlag.jpg

Moe Knox was there.

Puppet

1977. CYO Nationals. We (27th Lancers) started tour 20 points out of first place. First tour was the South. We lost to EVERYBODY that first tour. The staff decided to rehearse very early in the morning, before the heat kicked in. We would then retire to the air-conditioned gym during late-morning/early afternoon blast of hot air, warm up, dress, and head to that evening's competition. We slowly improved over the two weeks of tour, but were still about ten points off the top corps by the time we reached Atlanta. By the time we reached Allentown, we were finally competitive, and finished fourth (I think). That night, we rode home to Revere, where we were greeted at Revere High School by family, friends, and the crew from the local Boston Evening Magazine tv show. We had to get off the bus about 10 times while the hostess of the show tried to get her lines right. "76 trombones led the big parade is the famous line from the 'Music Man', and we've got a music man of our own here in Boston, George Bonfiglio". We greeted our family and friends and got a short nap on the floor of the high school gym. Lunch was subs (hogies, to you other folks). Jim Centarino hyped us up before we entered Harvard Stadium, telling us how our hard work was about to be paid off.

Gary Covitz told us not to suck. We hit the first notes of Rocky, and the audience was on its feet! This was not the same corps they had seen a mere three weeks ago. Standing on the field for the endless retreat was agony. Score after score was announced without us being among the finishers. Finally, the announcer said, "And in second place, with a score of ....

The Bridge..". The crowd went nuts. Marc Sylvester dug his elbow in my side; I still have a black and blue mark. We were announced as the winners, not allowed to move or speak. When we finally trooped the stands and were about to leave the stadium. George B. stopped us. We were silent and standing at attention. He threw a fist into the air and proclaimed, "There's a time and a place for everything, and this is the time, and THIS IS THE PLACE. Mayhem ensued. Good friend Mike Doherty later told me (he had graduated the corps in 1976), "I was yelling out in the audience during your performance, 'THOSE ARE MY FRIENDS'. Greatest moment ever!

p.s. 1994 didn't suck either.

GREAT story, Jimmy! Brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you for sharing!

GREAT story, Jimmy! Brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks, Deb. You were the corps that was beating us by 20 points at the start of 1977 tour!

Standing in the endzone in 1990, as they were announcing 3rd place, and it wasn't us! Star was ferocious that year, and beat the snot out of us up until the end of July.

And in second place.....looooooonnnnnnggggggg pause......the Cavaaaaaaiiiiiiigggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

On top of that, they announced the high drum trophy....and we hit the double crown! I didn't think we really could have pulled it off, but it was SUCH a moment in time, that I will NEVER forget it!

Then...there's the food truck breakdowns... :rock: